Gopro ???? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Old 06-25-2014, 10:53 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Gopro ????

I'm interested in getting a Gopro to use on my kayak. I've never had one and wondering if those who use them could offer some advise? I see price for a silver Hero 3 about $180 all the way up to $350 for a NIB Hero 3+ Black. Is it with twice the money for fishing videos? Can you tell me what mounting options I can use to have camera behind me,over the shoulder view? Sorry for so many questions.

Thanks in advance,

Don
New2sharkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2014, 11:12 PM   #2
*^* JaiBo *^*
Grand Slam

I have the GoPro White I think....It takes great video, and I have a buddy w/ the Black and it actually doesn't take visibly better video that I can see. If you got the $$$ spend it...If not, the "lesser" ones will work just fine and also buy the biggest SD card available and you won't have to change em out so much. You can do a search on here and find all the GoPro threads with all kinds of info on them....

Most folks make their own mounts fer GoPro's. I use an extended car was brush. They also make sweet mounts if you wanna fork out some cash. My mount fits in any standard fishing rod holder so I just position them according to the views I want....

Philippians 1:21

21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2014, 12:15 AM   #3
Sailfish

i have the hero 3 black and for me it's just too hard to use. i can do video's and pics ok, but changing the size, width or anything with the settings takes too long and if i'm in the boat or at the track, i can't see the display very well. there are some other cameras on the market(garmin) and i think they are worth trying. the go pro is a great little camera, just too difficult to operate in the field. JMO.
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2014, 12:28 AM   #4
Blue Marlin

Here check this out tonight, BEcause the sale ony last till midnight..
http://electronics.woot.com/offers/p...f=gh_el_2_d_ph#
wld1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2014, 12:31 AM   #5
Trigger

I have the JVC Adixxion and it takes video just as good as my GoPro. I like that it's water proof without a case and it has a screen on it already. GoPro is good but do your research on cameras and buy one that's going to suit your needs and not one just for the name. The jvc records video in HD, takes a full size SD card, and the battery's are cheap. I can record 2.5hrs on one charge.
reyesm275 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2014, 12:40 AM   #6
Snapper

It really depends how much you like footage and filming. I still have the original Hero and for all intensive purposes, it works fine for me.

The Black 3+ has a few features like 4k filming and 60fps 1080p filming that won't be missed by the casual film-maker, but for those who appreciate it, its a big upgrade. It also has a sharper lens and allows for simultaneous filming and picture taking. Speaking of pictures, the camera is now 12mp compared 5mp on the GoPro White.

I myself am going to upgrade soon, GoPro is rumored to release a new camera early this fall, and the Black 3+'s are probably going to drop in price after that.

As for mounts, I bought a monopod from Target for $30 and then got the GoPro tripod attachment for $5, slapped the two together and shoved it into one of my rod-holders on my kayak for perfect over-the-back filming. You can also remove it from the rod holder and stick it in the water to film, or whatever else you want to capture.

I also have a sticky mount that I placed near the bow of my kayak for rearward facing filming. Those are the only two mounts I use.
You can go more advanced, (there's a forum member with a video on YouTube with a more advanced rig that you can look up), but for me personally, those two get the job done for me.

Also, definitely do your research on competing brands, but with my experience with every competitor, they have at least one flaw that the GoPro covers; not to say that GoPro is flawless, but they do cover the bases of action cameras the best I've seen.

Last edited by iJabo; 06-26-2014 at 12:51 AM.
iJabo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in