Golfing in OBA?Gulf Shores - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Old 07-09-2013, 10:33 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default Golfing in OBA?Gulf Shores

I golf fairly regular at lost key in perdido, & OBA golf club OBA. I was wondering about other coures like Craft Farms/Peninsula? Lost key is pretty tight but i love the greens/fairways. How is the other ones i mentioned/price/wide/tight etc? thanks GG
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2013, 10:45 PM   #2
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
Grand Slam

Perdido Bay Country Club is in GREAT shape right now, just over the bridge off Perdido Key, straight through the light on Sorrento Road about a mile, left turn at the Perdido Bay Golf Course sign. Parking lot is about a half mile straight ahead.

Pretty wide fairways, most holes have some water, greens in GREAT shape, fairways too. Rough around the greens can be pretty tough if it hasn't been cut in awhile, Thick wiry Bermuda type grass.

Only complaint is the bunkers have very little to no sand in them. Basically there's a half inch of sand on top of hard dirt.

http://www.perdidobaygolf.com/

http://www.golf18network.com/florida...php?specials=1

Jim
Old 07-09-2013, 10:48 PM   #3
Cigar Minnow

The courses that you mentioned are all excellent courses. I like them a lot more than Lost Key. Another course that should be added to that list and maybe put on top is Kiva Dunes. All of the courses mentioned are now ran by Honors Golf and they are somewhat pricey. Kiva used to offer a reduced rate for locals but Honors took over this year and cut that. The fairways and greens will all be just as nice as Lost Key.
loweralbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2013, 11:13 PM   #4
Sailfish

I have never played Perdido CC, or Kiva dunes but i will maybe this wkd. I love some golf!!! The links are great i just signed up!! Thanks for replys JimT & lowerabuck

Last edited by grey ghost; 07-09-2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #5
White Marlin

Kiva dunes is way too tight with too many bunkers. I haven't played soldiers creek recently but it is usually in GREAT shape. The Peninsula is always in good shape, just pricey.
SouthAlabamaSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2013, 12:31 AM   #6
Sailfish

When we played Glen Lakes last March it was in good shape. The greens were really fast then. State park is not a bad choice for the average golfer. Pro's would prefer Peninsula, Kiva Dunes, Lost Ball and a few others.
Buckyt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2013, 01:07 AM   #7
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
Grand Slam

My only other warning at PBGC is be careful on number 10 (par 4). There used to be a sign posted at the tee box that said "In the late 70's this hole played the 7th hardest hole on the PGA Tour"

Play to just short of the 150 marker, anything past that is probably in the water. The landing area up there is a little narrow and runs downhill into the water.

A bogey is a good score on that hole for me (14 handicap). Other than that hole, the rest of the course (I hate it when guys refer to a course as a "track") is pretty fair. If you a BIG driver you can maybe reach the water on 12 and 16 too, but it'll take 270 yard drives from the white tees. Both par 4)

Number 7 (par 5) has a hidden pond just in front of the green. Play to 100 yards on your second shot. It normally plays into a south wind.

I have a golf GPS app on my iphone that works pretty well (GolfLogix... I think it's $30 per year or so and carries nearly every course). My normal golf partner has a SkyCaddie that is certainly better, but not worth the $300. But it was a gift from his wife and works GREAT to get distances to bunkers, water, clear the water, etc.

There is probably a ditch or pond on either side of 14 holes. But it'll take a bad drive normally to get that far left or right especially the with summer rough. A decent miss is normally safe, but in the rough or waste area.

Lots of grain breaks on the greens that will effect shorter putts. Good deals on beer and drinks on "Two for Tuesdays" and "Thirsty Thursdays"

Pretty good rack rates otherwise ($49?)

Military discounts for active/retired for greens fees. Sometimes the "specials" are better deals.

Jim

Last edited by jim t; 07-10-2013 at 01:14 AM.
jim t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
Sailfish

thanks jimt, i love the look of it on the link u posted, playing there sun for sure maybe sat too lol! I dont have to worry bout the long drives, 240 max for me. lol
Old 07-10-2013, 06:18 PM   #9
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthAlabamaSlayer View Post
Kiva dunes is way too tight with too many bunkers. I haven't played soldiers creek recently but it is usually in GREAT shape. The Peninsula is always in good shape, just pricey.
If the OP enjoys playing Lost Key then he would not have a problem with how tight Kiva Dunes is.
loweralbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #10
Sailfish

Ghost have you tried the little course across the street from you? It's cheap and a good way to kill an hour or so.
doradohunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in