Generations of Fishing.... - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Old 01-08-2008, 05:01 AM   #1
Grouper

Default Generations of Fishing....

Anyone who knows me well knows that I have a long line of fishermen and women behind me..... fishing and spending time on the water is born and bred into me just as deeply as the color of my eyes.

I got the greatest gift of all this Christmas when I showed up at my parents' house in FWB and there was my 90-year-old grandfather, one of my favorite childhood fishing buddies, come to visit from across the country. Surprise!!!! This holidaywas a greattime for some good reflections and memories, and with my grandfather, my Dad and me all in one room, the fish stories were diverse and full of adventure but all had one common thread- that love of fresh salt air, the bow of a rod, and sharing thecatch over a fine mealafter the trip.

A really special treat was for me to see for the first time the collection of rods and reels that belonged to 3 generations of anglers: great-grandfather, grandfather, and father.Dad is keeping these safe and doing what cleaning he can on these beauties. I love fishing memorabilia anyway, but knowing that these have been in the family for as long as they have and the stories behind them, is priceless. Thought I'd share the memories.....

Here are just a few of the rods lined up against the shed....

Here are some of my grandfather's well-used pieces. If they could talk, the stories they'd tell..... Grandpa fished the northern Atlantic coast throughout his life (as well as freshwater trout fishing and ice fishing), and made frequent visits to FWB throughout my childhood andfished the Gulf with us every chance he had. He tells stories of huge cod, stripers, and bluefish.

A wrap on one of my grandfather's custom rods...

The pattern of threads makes the image appear 3D when seen up close. His name is carved into the rod itself.

This old Olympic reel ispretty neat:

It is still spooled with steel for those big northern Atlantic sharks. Another view of the Olympic:

Another wrap on one of my grandfather's spinning rods (this one, if I remember, was built on Long Island):

Dad still has some of HIS grandfather's stuff. One of the rods is about a 9 foot wooden pole with but one guide remaining at the tip, a heavy one with a patina coating. Dad says he thinks there may have only been one or two more guides on that rod, and I did not expect a wooden rod to have such backbone to it, especially one so long. It may have been a tuna rod... not sure but imagining catching northern Atlantic tuna in the 1930's and 40's on that stick is really something else. I don't know where the reel is, but here is the seat:

The clamp on the bottom threw me off a little, but all the carving on the wooden handle is still in good shape. The rod is so long that I could not get a good picture of much of the rest of it.

This gem was my great-grandfather's cod fishing rod. Dad told me that my great-grandfather knew cod so well that even when no one else was catching them, he could and this was his tool:

I love the carved wooden grips and handles. This old Ocean City reel served my great-grandfather well. The rod it is on is a lacquered wood with uncoated threads wrapped at the guides. It won't fish again- since the rod is wood, it is prone to warping and has done so slightly at the tip. Dad is working it back as straight as he can,and this precious piece of family fishing history will be put on display.

My Dad is a fan of old Mitchell reels, and between him, my grandfather, and my late grandmother, there is a decent collection built up. Here are 2 views of the Mitchell 300 Pro with the wooden handle.

This next one I think is great because of where it stands in history-

If I rememeber correctly, spinning reels were imported into the U.S. until the 1940's when Airex made the first U.S.-made spinners. This one is a half-bail Airex Bache Brown:

The same reel from the top:

It's attached to a very light wooden rod, and if I remember correctly it was my grandmother's freshwater trout rod.

I would never dream of running off to the "Antiques Roadshow" with these- no matter what their dollar value, they are priceless for the stories and family tradition they hold- they represent my roots and that ingrained passion for fishing that spans and bonds generations. Fifty some-odd years of fishing held in this collection!

Soooooo... here I am in the latest generation of my clan of anglers, in appreciation and fascination of these really nifty pieces, and carrying on one tradition- having custom rods built. But that's another thread.

Hope y'all enjoyed the photos- these are just a sample of the wonderful memorabilia I got to share with my family this holiday. Thanks for letting me share.

www.outdooralabama.com
Coryphaena is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2008, 07:26 AM   #2
Grand Slam

Send a message via AIM to Tuna Man Send a message via MSN to Tuna Man Send a message via Yahoo to Tuna Man
Default RE: Generations of Fishing....

Very nice story and pictures...Without a doubt..PRICELESS.

Tuna Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2008, 10:38 AM   #3
White Marlin

Those are some amazing peices of fishing and family history. Thank you for sharing.

Makes me think that I should hang on to some of my favorite rigs to pass down through the years.
www.southagain.com
www.pensacolafishcharters.com
[email protected]
Inshore/Nearshore Charters
Brad King is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2008, 10:49 AM   #4
Grouper

WOW that is amazing thank you for sharing! :clap
User1265 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2008, 10:59 AM   #5
Trigger

WOW, thanks for sharing.

I have a few of my grandfather's old lures from the 1920s but nothing like your collection.

Angler's Outlet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2008, 11:02 AM   #6
Trigger

Thats the good stuff. Thanks for sharing.
KoolKat45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2008, 11:40 AM   #7
Grouper

very very cool....great pics:bowdown
Old 01-08-2008, 11:56 AM   #8
Sailfish

Great post. I still have the Mitchell 300 Dad and I used for salmon in Alaska.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:49 PM   #9
Cigar Minnow

Great post, lady!

I'm glad to see you are still around.

I've got to get caught up on the snapper research.
jim mills is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2008, 04:45 AM   #10
Cigar Minnow

I found a very helpful site and want it to share with you guys who have the passion for fishing. Its http://www.myfreefishing.com/
agot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in