FWC - Sturgeon BEWARE - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Old 07-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #1
EAT-SLEEP-GO FISHING
White Marlin

Default FWC - Sturgeon BEWARE

7/12/2013

FWC urging boaters to go slow after sturgeon severely injures child

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) is urging boaters to go slow and be vigilant on the Choctawhatchee River. The request to go slow comes after a Bay County child was severely injured June 22 on a fishing trip with his family when a large Gulf sturgeon leapt into their boat, hitting three children.

One of them, Nathaniel Smith, who turned 8 last week, was hospitalized with skull fractures but is now recuperating at his Youngstown home. He is the son of Angela and Wilson Scott Smith.

“We were bream fishing and it started to rain, so we cranked up and the kids huddled under a tarp in the front of the boat,” Smith said. “The sturgeon just came out of nowhere, and I yelled and tried to cut the motor but it was too late.”

The sturgeon, which Smith believes was 3-4 feet long, grazed the back of the head of his nephew Austin and then hit his 16-year-old daughter, Amber, with enough force to knock her out of the boat.

Smith wheeled the boat around, pulled Amber aboard and then realized Nathaniel had taken the brunt of the collision with a blow to the head. The impact left Nathaniel unconscious. Doctors later determined he had two skull fractures.

Nathaniel was flown to Bay Medical Center Sacred Heart Health System in Panama City, then on to Sacred Heart Hospital in Pensacola and was released on July 2.

Scott said his son still has headaches but is recovering.

“I’ve fished the river before but I never even thought that a sturgeon might jump and hurt you. That’s just something you don’t ever expect to experience,” he said.

While sturgeon strikes are rare on the Choctawhatchee, they have happened before. On Aug. 4, 2002, Brian Clements, who lived near Bozeman School at the time, was motoring down the river by himself when he caught the full impact of a leaping sturgeon in the middle of his chest. Clement spent a week in Gulf Coast Hospital with a cracked sternum and bruised internal organs.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) does extensive work on northwest Florida rivers with Gulf sturgeon. In 2012, the FWS estimated the population at 3,400 in the Choctawhatchee River and 500-1,000 in the Apalachicola River. The Suwannee River, in northeast Florida, has the most, with a population estimated at 10,000 to 14,000 fish. There have been numerous injuries to humans on the Suwannee from sturgeon strikes over the past several decades.

Scientists don’t know why sturgeon jump or leap from the water.

Meanwhile, fisheries biologists say by the end of summer Gulf sturgeon will leave all northwest Florida rivers and head to the Gulf, where they will spend the winter. They say the best thing boaters can do is slow down, wear a life jacket and be observant.

For more information on living with sturgeon, go to MyFWC.com/Research and select “Saltwater.”
FishWalton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
Make it a Grady Day.
White Marlin

Thanks for sharing.
DAWGONIT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
Sailfish

I have heard of folks getting hit or them landing in the boat. I have saw them jump and man some are huge. I know they aren't as big as they look,but some seem 7-8 feet long.
drifterfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2013, 09:33 PM   #4
Sailfish

Damn, I just fished the river last weekend. We almost had mullet jumping in the boat. I didnt see any sturgeon thank god.
catfever24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2013, 10:19 PM   #5
Trigger

A buddy and me were leaving yellow river going into Blackwater bay. I was on a plane and next thing I see from the corner of my eye was a mullet flying into the air. It hit my buddy right in the chest and he said it hurt pretty good. I would hate to see what a sturgeon could do. The mullet was the only fish we caught.
Clam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #6
Bearded Brotula
Grand Slam

Some lady took a spotted eagle ray to the head a few years back and died. Somewhere down around Tampa. Always make me think about running the beach and all those cownose rays jumping out of the water.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in