FRA to file lawsuit over closure of recreational Greater Amberjack - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Old 10-29-2009, 02:57 PM   #1
Blue Marlin

Default FRA to file lawsuit over closure of recreational Greater Amberjack

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px">Just got the emailbelow from the FRA.<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px"><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px">Mark W<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px"><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px">FRA to file lawsuit over Gulf of Mexico closure of recreational Greater Amberjack<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px"><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0px 0in"><SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: 700; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-STYLE: italic; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">THE FRA FIGHTS FOR YOUR FISHING RIGHTS<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0px 0in"><SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: 700; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-STYLE: italic; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Don?t be fooled by imitators. The FRA TAKES ACTION.<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0px 0in"><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0px 0in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">The Fishing Rights Alliance Shark Tank is BUSY. <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0px 0in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">To all of our brothers and sisters in our fishing communities: The FRA will file a lawsuit against National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) over the in-season closure of Gulf of Mexico recreational Greater Amberjack. The effects of this closure will cause further (and unnecessary) harm the recreational sector. The suit will be filed in federal court in Tampa next week.<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0px 0in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">The NMFS has overstepped its bounds by using the fatally-flawed Marine Recreational Fishing Statistical Survey (MRFSS) as an in-season quota monitoring tool, giving less than five days notice that they closed Gulf Recreational Greater Amberjack for the remainder of 2009.<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0px 0in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">MRFSS has a specific limitation on its data. It takes a long time to compile and correct the data. MRFSS is unsuitable for use as an in-season quota monitoring tool. MRFSS data is not even finalized until June of the YEAR FOLLOWING THE DATA COLLECTION. So this year's data will not even be final until June of NEXT YEAR. <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0px 0in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Dr. Crabtree chose to ignore the US Congress? National Research Council report that stated that MRFSS was never designed for, nor is it capable of being used as an in-season quota monitoring tool. The MRFSS data is simply fatally flawed. Yet we have an administrator that seems to know better than the National Research Council. In what many see as punitive action, recreational anglers were given less than 5 days notice of the closure. If we were to let this go unchallenged, it would pave the way for NMFS to close Gag, Red Snapper, sand perch.... you name it. <SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><SPAN lang=EN>

THE FRA FIGHTS FOR YOUR FISHING RIGHTS

Don't be fooled by imitators.

The FRA TAKES ACTION.

Please read more at

<U><SPAN lang=EN>www.thefra.org/newsupdate.htm</U><SPAN lang=EN> &lt;<U><SPAN lang=EN>http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102794795637&amp;s=1000&amp;e=001a3fOuO 0U0pmR4Z6ZrC6QXtG5i_ceIrO_ATHj7AeCn8tYYs8heFKjmfbD 3IDkiRMi_yhgeo7cIC97sn7zEyC2OfVzu5Ifxkhq2loEbc869b F37D2khlIW5eOEOeYvvTwa</U><SPAN lang=EN>&gt;

We won't back down.<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0px 0in">
markw4321 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2009, 03:07 PM   #2
Sailfish

Default RE: FRA to file lawsuit over closure of recreational Greater Amberjack

Maybe this will open some eyes as to what is going on at the NMFS.

Thanks Mark.
Runned Over is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2009, 03:08 PM   #3
Praedator
Grand Slam

The FRA is the only orginization to file such lawsuits so far. We need to get behind them. I recently joined.
Telum Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2009, 03:09 PM   #4
Grouper

I believe this makes 3 lawsiuts the FRA has filed against the NMFS.
User1265 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2009, 03:10 PM   #5
Grouper

Denny from the FRA is a member of this forum. His user name is FRADenny.

They are also strongly opposed to the SOS plan.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:21 PM   #6
Sailfish

Quote:
Telum Pisces (10/29/2009)The FRA is the only orginization to file such lawsuits so far. We need to get behind them. I recently joined.
Can we get a FRA Chapter here in P'Cola?
Runned Over is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2009, 03:31 PM   #7
Grouper

I am a member of both the FRA and the RFA and I have been in contact with both organizations. The Executive Director of the RFA told me their Florida chapter has not been as active as they would like. He also mentioned in his email that he wanted to speak with me in person but I am not holding my breath plus I don't know what his intentions are.

The RFA is bigger and has been around longer but it is based in the Northeast region.

The FRA is based in Tampa and has worked with the RFA before.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:11 PM   #8
Cigar Minnow

Hey all-

the FISHING RIGHTS ALLIANCE would LOVE to have a Pensacola Chapter.

More importantly, the FRA wants to help you take action. We must stand together.

We are in for the mother of all battles. Now, I'm kinda tough, and I think I can take out the first thousand anti-fishing weenies myself, but there are WAY more than a thousand. Although there are about ten or twenty recreational fishreman for every anti-fishing whack job out there, I'm still outnumbered at the battle lines. Who will stand up and be counted?

Please join us! www.joinFRA.org

I won't back down. How about YOU?

Denny O'Hern

Fishing Rights Alliance

THE FRA
FRADenny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2009, 04:14 PM   #9
Sailfish

Craig I spoke with Dave Huber who is over the RFA Florida district back in June and he told me the RFA is looking for someone to head up a charter here in our area. That's probably what he wants to speak to you about. I put him in touch with some one in June that I though might would be interested and I guess it didn't work out because I never heard anything back on it.
The LaJess II is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2009, 04:19 PM   #10
Cigar Minnow

Craig- Thanks, brother!

The FRA's first lawsuit, four years ago today, set legal precedent for NMFS to abide by. Quite frankly, the FRA kicked to guv'ments butt.

We have two current lawsuits; one in the Gulf and one in the South Atlantic.

The lawsuit over AJ will be our fourth suit and will, I believe, set a record for most suits active at one time in fisheries management (three).

The FRA won't stop there. And we won't just act in court. Washington DC is about to get a taste of AMERICAN CITIZENS who fish recreationally. It aint gonna taste like grandma's pecan pie, I can assure you.
FRADenny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in