Fishing at Edisto Beach SC anyone done that here? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By redfizh
  • 1 Post By SurfRidr
  • 1 Post By salty_dawg

Old 05-10-2019, 05:19 PM  
Cigar Minnow

Default Fishing at Edisto Beach SC anyone done that here?

My wife and I are going to Edisto State Park in SC end on May to fish and site see. Anyone here give us clues and advise on fishing there? I was born in Fla and saltwater fish my whole life there so I know the ins and outs just need some for Edisto.. Cant wait to see some loggerheads laying eggs as well!!!
redfizh is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2019, 12:13 AM  
White Marlin

I went a few years ago. We stayed on the river and fished it. Had our best luck carolina rigging bull minnows. Reds, specks, flounder and little bonnethead sharks. Could not find one place that sold live shrimp but the minnows seemed to work ok. There are some pretty aggressive oyster bars and the tide goes in and out twice a day, 7-8 ft each time, so you gotta be mindful where you’re at.
K-Bill is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2019, 07:52 AM  
Sailfish

You’re going to love it. Been many years since I’ve been, but spent a few family vacation weeks on Edisto Island. There are some giant flounder around, but I don’t remember specifically where you could target them without a boat. If I remember correctly, there was some public access on the west side of the island by the golf course where you could probably try to catch redfish on a 2-hook rig and frozen bait. Folly Beach is 2 islands up. There was a pier there that I fished when we would visit in the summer. I remember one day when king mackerel we’re caught, and many many days of nothing in the muddy water. I wouldn’t make the long drive based on my recollection of how slow the fishing was, but I think that’s your closest access to a pier to fish in the Atlantic.
facebook.com/BSTseptic
nb&twil is offline   Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2019, 04:57 PM  
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Bill View Post
I went a few years ago. We stayed on the river and fished it. Had our best luck carolina rigging bull minnows. Reds, specks, flounder and little bonnethead sharks. Could not find one place that sold live shrimp but the minnows seemed to work ok. There are some pretty aggressive oyster bars and the tide goes in and out twice a day, 7-8 ft each time, so you gotta be mindful where you’re at.

I will take a cast net with us to make sure we get live/fresh bait. I bought my wife the other day her own 302 mitchell to go with my 302 and 402 and she is so excited! She never caught a shark and one of her favs to catch is a bonnethead and I heard there is a ton there to be caught!

Middle of May is the start of loggerhead laying season so she will get to see some big females laying eggs there as well! I heard at high tide and it being up to 8 feet the reds like to go into the grass and tailfeed, that I never seen in person before. Sounds like a great place but knowing me I wont want to leave and go back to nasty Indiana lol...
K-Bill likes this.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:01 PM  
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb&twil View Post
You’re going to love it. Been many years since I’ve been, but spent a few family vacation weeks on Edisto Island. There are some giant flounder around, but I don’t remember specifically where you could target them without a boat. If I remember correctly, there was some public access on the west side of the island by the golf course where you could probably try to catch redfish on a 2-hook rig and frozen bait. Folly Beach is 2 islands up. There was a pier there that I fished when we would visit in the summer. I remember one day when king mackerel we’re caught, and many many days of nothing in the muddy water. I wouldn’t make the long drive based on my recollection of how slow the fishing was, but I think that’s your closest access to a pier to fish in the Atlantic.

I did look up Folly pier on youtube, looks like my old hunting grounds back in the early 80's and that is Navarre Fla pier. I fished that thing a ton so I would get so homesick going to Folly Pier lol... My wife wants to hang out at shell Island and hunt for shells and teeth... I want to fish my ass off! But she never caught a shark so I am sure I can get her to fish like me to get her that shark...
Old 05-11-2019, 10:10 PM  
Trigger

Look at Charlestonfishing.com
Boatfly is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2019, 01:01 AM  
Grouper

I used to live in Charleston, surfed there a lot at Folly Beach around 10th street, but I didn't get to fish much back then. ACE basin has some impressive tidal changes in the marshes, so be careful if you're up on those salt marshes on a moving tide! PM me if you want info on Charleston for places to eat. The Low Country is really a cool place.
redfizh likes this.

"Things are only impossible until they're not"
SurfRidr is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2019, 10:28 AM  
Grouper

Our family spent a week there every summer from around 2000-2012. That is where I first did any surf fishing. Eventually graduated to a kayak then to a bay boat. I was very new to saltwater fishing at the time and would approach it differently if I went back. There are some smaller creeks on the southwest end of the island that would be good for kayaking and if you are looking for bigger water, lookup Steamboat landing on the northeast side. If you're in a boat, be very aware of the tide swings. Especially if you are in a kayak in the creeks, fish the incoming tide up the creek then ride the tide back to your launch point. Great place to relax and take the family. Enjoy!
redfizh likes this.
salty_dawg is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in