A few questions for those who might know. - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Old 01-04-2010, 12:46 PM   #1
Snapper

Default A few questions for those who might know.

I am doing some winter maintenance to my boat and have a few questions. What is the best type of caulk to use when re-caulking the base of a radar? Mine has been leaking for some time allowing water into my electronics overhead box. Figured now's a good time to repair it. Also, has anyone converted to LED spreader lights? If so, how do you like them, are they bright enough, and how many bulbs did you go with? I also have a zipper stuck on my enclosure, what's the best way to free it up? And finally, does anyone know what it would cost to have the bottom paint on my boat removed and just have the hull gel-coated? I have no need for bottom paint and am willing to do the work myself, I have just never took on a task like this and need some input. It's doing nothing but killing my gas mileage and I never leave my boat in the water on a full time basis (it's not the boat in the picture, that's my old boat, just haven't updated!) It's a 32' center console. Thanks in advance!

Bob
bellafishing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
Sailfish

Default RE: A few questions for those who might know.

3M 5200 for the caulk
P-cola_Native is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 01:33 PM   #3
Blue Marlin

Quote:
3M 5200 for the caulk

Not unless you never want it to come off again. What if it needs to be serviced?

Pull the Radome off. Clean around any holes and caulk it with 3M's 4000 UV Silicone caulk.

If the cable comes out the back? Install a Blue seas Cable Clam pt # 1003 is the largest one.

LED spreader lights:

These are the new Hella units. Not cheap, but very very nice. Plenty of light and very little power draw.

I'd use these again.

Removing bottom paint is a very dirty / nasty job. You may not need to regellcoat it? Id use a stripper and then sand it with a pretty fine sandpaper. What ever it takes so that it can be buffed out.

This is why a boat with bottom paint is worth less $ than a boat without it. We are talking smaller trailer boats here.

X-Shark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2010, 01:59 PM   #4
Sailfish

www.coastalnightlights.com for the spreader lights. We have two of them on our boat and they are extremely bright. We also have a couple of the underwater lights as well.
polar21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 06:13 PM   #5
Snapper

Thanks for the responses fellas. X-Shark: I had considered a silicone caulk, sounds like that's the best way to go. And I don't believe my bottom is gelcoated. I think it is the final layer of glass, some kind of non-white sealer, then paint. So I guess it would have to be removed and completely gel-coated.How would yall rate the LED spreaders to the halogens. Are they equal in brightness and is it worth the cost difference? I am considering them for longevity and less power draw. Thanks again!

Bob
bellafishing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in