A few questions before I arrive - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Old 06-02-2010, 04:13 AM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default A few questions before I arrive

Hi guys/gals,

Though I booked my trip months ago, I'm glad to bring my tourist dollars to the panhandle. Wish I had more to bring...

So a couple questions. Are circle hooks required inland (specks, red and flounder fishing) or just offshore? What about the needle thingy? Is that required on an inshore/near shore boat?

I did a search for "circle" to see what the concensus is on the best circle hook. Results were from 2008. I'd think there has been progress since then. What hooks do you guys like? Are circle hooks required or can I use J hooks?

Bobbers: As a kid in Miami I fished the standard white and orange striped popping bobber for trout. I've read about the cajun. Is there amarkable difference?

I've decided on Gulp Alive 4" minnow (watermellon pearl) and Gulp Alive new penny shrimp for artificials and a bucket of live shrimp to get started.

What lb test should I put on the reels, 15ish sounds right? (trout, reds, maybe flounder for catch/release)

I'm staying in Gulf Breeze in a house on a canal that has a 16' center consol, no trolling motor or ff/gps.

This is my first trip to Pensacola. I'm so looking forward to it. Many of my friends and co-workers here in TN go every year but they are all about the beaches, not the fishing. Thanks in advance for all replies and wish the best for you guys to avoid the BP disaster.

Should anyone be inclined to give semi-specific info or want someone to help pay the fuel/bait/beer bill for an offshore or near shore trip next week, you can contact me at imsqueak at yahoo dot com. The 16'er probably isnt going to get me out to the snapper...

Thanks,

Don
imsqueak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2010, 04:38 AM   #2
Jim T's sworn enemy!
Sailfish

Default RE: A few questions before I arrive

Circle hooks and release/venting tools are only required for reef fish offshore as far as I know. Come on down,we'd love to see ya.
bonita dan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in