Federal agency plans to expand rules to lessen overfishing - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Old 12-11-2009, 07:39 AM   #1
Grouper

Default Federal agency plans to expand rules to lessen overfishing

<H4>By The Associated Press </H4><H5>December 10, 2009, 7:01PM</H5><SPAN class="mt-enclosure mt-enclosure-photo" style="DISPLAY: inline"><SPAN class="photo-breakout photo-center large"><SPAN class=byline>(Press-Register/Ben Raines)<SPAN class=caption>Red Snapper on a dock at Dauphin Island after a chartered deep sea fishing trip this summer. The federal agency in charge of regualting the nation's oceans says it will expand rules designed to end overfishing.

The federal agency in charge of protecting the nation's oceans announced Thursday it is ramping up efforts to expand new rules aimed at lessening the cutthroat competition among fishers that has threatened dozens of ocean species.

At the same time, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration conceded it will not be able to fully meet deadlines set by Congress to end overfishing by 2010 for unhealthy stocks, and 2011 on all stocks in U.S. ocean waters.

NOAA chief Jane Lubchenco said they were "on track" to meet the deadlines on some species, but not all.

"We still have more than 20 percent of fish stocks that are not rebuilt, and a larger proportion of fisheries are not meeting their economic potential," Lubchenco said in a teleconference from Washington, D.C. "This is a tool we believe will help us realize the full economic and biological benefits of rebuilt fisheries."

The management system being backed by NOAA -- called catch-share -- is seen as a way to end overfishing.

It's a relatively new approach, imposing a strict overall catch limit and dividing that total catch among individuals such as fishers, communities, cooperatives or companies. Studies have found that when fishers no longer have to race to fill their nets, they make more money by fishing less while doing a better job of conserving.

The new draft policy -- meant to build support among fishers and regional fishery management councils for catch shares -- will go through a four-month public comment period ending April 10 before final adoption.

A marine biologist, Lubchenco has pushed catch shares as part of a comprehensive national ocean policy endorsed by President Barack Hussein Obama. But it can take years for regional fishery management councils to work through the process. Meanwhile, fishers have struggled to make a living while fish processors have tried to gain more control.

Lubchenco said the latest NOAA appropriations bill currently in the Senate includes $18.6 million for the agency to help regional councils consider catch share, on top of the $6 million in the current budget. She emphasized the system is not mandatory.

The Environmental Defense Fund praised the new policy, saying that catch shares have restored fish populations while improving the livelihoods of fishers.

"This policy will reverse the freefall that U.S. fish stocks have been in for decades," David Festa, vice president of Environmental Defense Fund, said in a statement. "It moves fisheries management into the 21st century."

Lee Crockett, federal fishery policy chief for Pew Environment Group, cautioned it is important to design catch shares so that they strengthen conservation, and keep small-scale operators in business, without allowing the biggest players to take over.

Catch shares have been used in the U.S. since 1990, and now cover 13 fisheries, including Alaskan halibut, Gulf red snapper and Atlantic surf clams.

The West Coast's most valuable fishery, a group of bottom-dwelling species known as groundfish, has been rebuilding since 2000, when harvests were cut in half to protect overfished rockfish. Despite limiting harvests and cutting the fleet through buybacks, several groundfish species remain overfished. After five years of work, the fishery is to move into catch share management in 2011.

The New England groundfish fishery, which has been struggling for 15 years to rebuild cod and flounder stocks, is moving into a catch shares system in which fishers divide themselves into "sectors" and manage an allotted catch.

According to NOAA, commercial fishing landings are worth $4 billion a year dockside, and rebuilding overfished stocks would increase those values by 54 percent.

Meanwhile, the nation's appetite for fish outstrips domestic supply, with 80 percent of the seafood consumed coming from imports.
Magic236 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2009, 08:06 AM   #2
Whizzed off realist
White Marlin

Default RE: Federal agency plans to expand rules to lessen overfishing

There they are with IT again... the IT being their control word OVERFISHING! They show a photo of a bunch of red snaps and blow their bugle again... OVERFISHING&gt;.... They MUST create a sense of crisis in order to push their CONTROL agenda.

Im telling you guys... Class Action Lawsuit. Get them into court. Make them reveal their data collection methods and how they determine the stock... They will fold like a cheap suit.
Burnt Drag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2009, 09:38 AM   #3
Sailfish

They are putting spin on it to make it what they want it to be.

Interesting how EDF, Pew foundation, and NOAA are all mentioned TOGETHER in the article.... HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
angus_cow_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2009, 10:34 AM   #4
Snapper

Beware!!! ALL of this will be at the cost of the PRIVATE recreational fisherman! It seems that WE are not even being REMOTELY considered in these matters! WE HAVE TO SUPPORT ALL THE GROUPS THAT ARE FIGHTING THESE PROPOSITIONS IN COURT, RFA, FRA, GCC! I for one am tired ofcommercial intereststaking/overtaking the publics resources for profit just because the demand for seafood products is higher now. Too bad...there is simply just not enough to meet the demand! Just because there is a "need for more product", that doesn't give any business the right to "take it" from a public natural resource.
Pass Time is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2009, 01:27 PM   #5
Whizzed off realist
White Marlin

Guys,

A few of you anglers know what happened when the lovely little IFQ in the R Snapper Commercial sector. If you did'nt, here goes. There were 2 classes of permits. One was a 200lb per trip (gutted weight) permit that sat side by side with the Reef Fish Permit. The next was a 1000 pound permit that was also paralled with the Reef Fish Permit. When the IFQ shares of total poundage was divided up, the permit holders with the 1000 lb permits got the lions share of the snapper shares. The 200lb permit holders were ROLLED UNDER THE BUS. The highest annual poundage that Ive heard of with the 200 pound permits was about 300 pounds ... so we went from being able to make as many trips bringing in 200 lb per trip as we could make in the 9 day per month opening. Most trips we got our 200 lb and all the "bycatch" that went with it... mingo trigger grouper. So, the larger boats were out paceing us about 5 to one. So, the permits that I had for Red Snapper that cost me $14000.00 became worth less than $3000.00 and along with that, we were told that we could barter with other permit holders to obtain a bigger annual take.... I was awarded 180 pounds per year. 200lb per trip down to 180 lb per year. Not to mention the big-brother VMS equip they wanted us to install.

So... as a Charter Boat operator who was just trying to make it through the winter commercial fishing due to shorter seasons, I took that plunge and made that investment mentioned above and I got SH!T on royally.

If any of you think that this SOS is going to benefit ANYONE, read and re-read the true story above. Charter operators who think this is a great idea need to examine the track record of the A$$-Hats railroading this scheme.

Capt Jim Stone www.aquaventurecharters.com
Burnt Drag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2009, 07:29 PM   #6
Kim
Blue Marlin

I hope i don't derail your thread here based solely on popularity but there is a lot going on these days that is going to have far reaching consequences as far as the Gulf coast is concerned.

SE Atlantic closure of Red Snapper and all Grouper fisheries may have more impact on us here than on the East coast of Florida. The facts are that the commercial and charter fleets on the East coast of Florida will not be able to fish for the closed species and that is going to have a negative impact on their cash flow. So faced with limited fisheries for six months and hoping not to bankrupt, broke or kaput, we'll probably see a lot of commercial boats shift to the Gulf coast to fish because their Federal Permits and State Permits are just as valid on the West coast of Florida as they are on the East coast of Florida.

I imagine the same thing can be said for the charter fleet on Florida's East coast. We will probably see some of them shift to the West coast as well since they hold valid Federal and State permits etc. These are every day people who will do what they have to in order to make a living and survive.

A lot of people take a summer fishing vacations and I'm sure the closures will give some people pause for thought and they will change their minds and take their vacations and spend their money on the Gulf coast for the sole reason that the fishing will be better than along the SE Atlantic coast. A lot of charters from North Carolina all the way down the Florida East coast won't happen because of the fishery closures.

I know a few people that come from Cape Canaveral a few times a month towing their boats behind them because the fishing is better out of Tampa. I imagine that we will also see an increase in the numbers of recreational anglers that do this.

The latter part of this year was the first time in almost three years the the Gulf of Mexico Fisheries Council has even mentioned possible increases in bag limits and longer seasons. I don't think that the SE Atlantic closures were a factor when they had made this determination. What ever the growth is percentage wise of commercial interests and recreational anglers, should about determine what bag reductions and season lengths will end up being imposed. The TAC in the Gulf of Mexico is only so much for each fishery and the increased fishing pressure will get us to the TAC's that much faster.

I have no idea how the governing bodies will figure that all out and what the outcome will be. I can see how the Gulf of Mexico fishery resources can be overfished in short order. I sent an e-mail to CCA of Florida asking what they have heard but have yet to get a response.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2009, 07:49 PM   #7
Blue Marlin

"Federal Permits and State Permits are just as valid on the West coast of Florida as they are on the East coast of Florida. '

Are you sure about that Kim?

Mark

markw4321 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2009, 08:20 PM   #8
Kim
Blue Marlin

I'm not sure but I don't see why not, unless they are specified as SE Atlantic or Gulf of Mexico, best bet is to ask someone that has one if they are area specific or plain old Federal Permit, state waters are out to nine miles in Florida, East or West coats.

** I looked up the Federal Permits and all I could find was one for The Exclusive Economic Zone and all I can find at the FWC site is for Commercial saltwater license. so it looks like the East coast permits are valid on the Gulf coast.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:36 AM   #9
Trigger

Federal permits for the South Atlantic are not interchangeable with Gulf of Mexico permits.
Jack Hexter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2009, 12:45 AM   #10
Kim
Blue Marlin

Whew that is a relief, the last thing I want to see is the Gulf coast fisheries in they shape they are in, especially when it's starting to look like an upswing here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in