Family oriented things to do in the P'Cola area - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Old 06-30-2013, 12:55 PM   #1
Mingo

Default Family oriented things to do in the P'Cola area

I'll be down there in about a week and a half for about 4 days...the deal is I'll be getting up to fish each morning for several hours, but then will have to revert to family duties (i.e. nonfishing) for a better part of the day (lets say from about 10AM until early evening - to which I'll be putting in a couple of more hours...LOL)...My daughter will be with me and she's 15 y/o...one of the things she wants to do is to take the (very) long day trip to New Orleans to see that city...what else is there to do that's (much) more local...and if it helps, she is also a big time nature buff and likes to take a lot of pictures:-)
albacized is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
Mingo

PS - I'm hoping there are enough ideas more locally to help sway her away from the NO idea...the only reason I haven't completely said 'no' to that is because I also have a passing interest to visit there as well, but I"m not sure if it's enough of an interest to interrupt this trip with a 6 hour (round trip) excursion....
albacized is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

ft Pickens, is a awesome place to visit and fish at the same time! Lots to photograph. There is a zoo in gulf breeze,might be to hot for that since the animals don't move around. Downtown city of pensacola has museums and a walking tour. There really is a lot to do just go into the visitors info center by the three mile bridge and you can get some great ideas. Where are you staying
rgtopda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
Trigger

Pensacola Naval Air Station Museum and the blue angels practices in the morning I believe tues,thur but might be off so check their website.
tigershark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
Trigger

cool off in the evening with a baseball game at www.bluewahoos.com check for schedule...beautiful park on Pensacola Bay. Nola is a long day trip...great zoo and aquarium combo tour if you go....they have Segway tours downtown Pensacola, hit up Joe Patti's and cook some fresh seafood (ship some home). enjoy the visit...
captbuckhall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
Sailfish

Go ahead and hit the NO its not far for a day trip plus its an awsome city.
capt'n slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2013, 01:33 PM   #7
Grouper

If your there on Saturday Palafox market is cool. It's a farmers market. Nice place for the family to walk around if you guys like homemade goods as well as crafts. Wife loves dragging me there
Cant.Git.Enuf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2013, 01:46 PM   #8
White Marlin

A canoe, yak, or tube ride down Coldwater Creek in Milton is very nice (we do it at least once a year). There are at least 2 vendors that will rent you the boat/tubes, and drop you off upstream. You float/swim/paddle your way back to their site, at your own pace. Very nice sand bars all along it to pull off for a swim, picnic, or whatever. Dang, I have to get up there soon!
Flounderpounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2013, 02:42 PM   #9
White Marlin

When you go to the Naval Aviation Museum, don't miss a tour of the Lighthouse. Built prior to the Civil War. Lots of history plus some excellent areas on the adjacent beachs for walks and taking nature photos.

The area of your accommodation will have some impact on what we can recommend. If you both have an interest in New Orleans, a trip to the Flora-Bama Lounge (during the day or even Sunday morning beachside church service), on Perdido Key, is a must. Almost as famous as Bourbon Street.
panhandleslim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2013, 02:59 PM   #10
Grand Slam

All of these are great suggestions. I wouldn't waste a day of a 4 day stay to go to New Orleans. It would be nothing but a hassle with 8 hours of driving. Save it for another time when you have more time.
The suggestions here will keep you plenty busy plus you'll need some beach time.
welldoya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in