Electric reels - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Chris V

Old 08-21-2015, 08:08 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Electric reels

Hey guys

Considering buying a couple of electric reels for deep dropping. I noticed on ebay most if not all are listed from Japan. Has anyone purchased these or anything else on ebay that ships from Japan.
They are about half price compared to local retailers.
2500Nauticstar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2015, 08:21 PM   #2
OCD Reel Service/Repair
Blue Marlin

I haven't but there was a guy on The Hull Truth forum selling the Tanacom Bull's for a very good price.

"Wheelchair Accessible Fishing"
Ocean Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2015, 09:01 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

I bought a Tanacom Bull off Ebay from Japan, and it has been a good reel so far. I've only used the reel maybe 6 times, but it has worked flawless since I've bought it. The only bad thing about the reel is that it has Japanese writing on the face of the reel instead of English. I also have a Tanacon Bull reel that have English writing on the face, so if I need to know what the writing says I just compare the reels.
doubletake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2015, 09:25 PM   #4
Squid technician
Grand Slam

Just make sure if you get a Japanese reel its one that is marketed in the US as well. Daiwa and Shimano have models that are only sold in their Japanese markets. The issue with this is warranty or repair. Guess what happens when a Japanese marketed reel breaks? It has to go back........to Japan. The US service centers do not deal with the overseas marketed models.

Just make sure that the reel you buy online saves enough money to compensate for not having a local support center, being your local tackle shop.
skiff man99 and Fish N Tales like this.
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2015, 10:39 PM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

Chris V and crew run a good deal on electric combos at Sam's. It will be my next purchase when I build the fund back up. Also, You can't put a value on the conversations and information you can obtain by talking to the guys up there.
norris555 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2015, 10:29 AM   #6
Sailfish

I have had a chance to use several electrics over the years so I'll give you a quick run down of my experience.
Diawa Tanacom 1000- Great reel, great price good power and will handle most of what you can throw at it.

Diawa Tanacom Bull 1000- Better built than the T1000 and a tad faster retrieve. Has held up better than the two T1000s I own. About $400 more than the T1000

Kristal 601xl, 651- These reels are NOT meant for deep dropping and will break eventually if you use them for it and they are very expensive to fix.

Miya Epoch Command 6- Great reels, powerful, and can handle swords up to 200 pounds that I've seen. Expensive though but worth the cash. Not a lot of experience with them but a customer of mine uses them regularly without issue.

Lindgren Pitman- if you have the cash buy it. It's a beast!

Hooker Electric on an 80 tiagra- Same as the LP, holy cap it's bad ass.

Shimano BeastMaster- Haven't had a chance to use one but I've heard the Diawa TB1000 doesn't hold a candle to it, expensive however. Anything Shimano builds is top quality.

With all that said get what you can afford, stay away from Japanese market reels, I've bought a couple off eBay and when they break you have a nice paperweight because it cost more to fix them than they are worth.
I just got a chance to test out a reel I have been eyeing for some time. It's the Banax Kaigen 1000. I haven't had a chance to fish this reel yet but out of the box it's impressive. Alan Tani gave it a good review, beefier parts in it than the Tanacom 1000, larger diameter spool as well. Looks are similar to the Shimano BeastMaster. I will put it to the test on Monday. Also these reels are sold and serviced by Frigate Sales in Baton Rouge. He has a great price listed on them and was nice to send me one free of charge to try out! I will keep yall posted!
Attached Thumbnails
Electric reels-20150821_220748-jpg   Electric reels-20150821_220728-jpg   Electric reels-20150821_220656-jpg  
doradohunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2015, 03:27 PM   #7
Sailfish

I have an old 9/0 attached to a electric mate that has not been used in 26 years . Might consider selling it withy other items over the next year. Never used it much due to our electric 6/0 in 300 '
Hook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in