Dog in need! - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Old 08-25-2012, 12:37 AM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Dog in need!

Dog in need!-jolene-jpg

Dog in need!-jolene2-jpgHey guys I do not know if this is the place for this, but I am member of saintsreport.com and somebody that works in a shelter in Baton Rouge started a thread about this dog. He said that they will ship her for free and that he is bringing her to an adoption event tomorrow, saturday, and that is her last chance before they put her down. I have surfed this website a lot before, never posted much if ever, but I figured I would give it a shot. Here is the info he gave me on her.

"The adoption fee is $100 but honestly if that's a problem please let me know and I'll try to get the money together. The adoption fee includes all her shots and meds and her spay surgery (which she already had) so basically she will not need to go to the vet for a year. She does have a very mild case of heartworms but it was a weak positive and this is common among hunting dogs (a lot of hunters usually don't care much about heartworm treatment) but the good thing about Jolene's heartworms is that they can likely be killed by regular heartworm treatment, otherwise known as slow kill, and she is already on that. She has no cough or outward signs of heartworms which is great and means that if treated it should not effect her lifespan. If it gives you any idea, I only adopt dogs with heartworms and I've had negative tests on all of them after a year of heartworm preventative.

Other than tht, Jolene is a perfectly healthy pup. She is 5-7 years old which is actually middle age so she still has her best years ahead of her and is out of that annoying puppy stage. Since she is a hunting dog, it's best not to leave her in an environment where there are small dogs or cats. Her hunting instincts kick in and she tries to trap them. If they are introduced in a proper setting and with leashes, dog trainers have told me that she can overcome these issues but that may take some training.

I'm taking her to the adoption event tomorrow and if she doesn't get adopted there I'm afraid that will probably be the end of the line for her. She is struggling in the shelter, as most hounds do, and she is so wonderful and loving and thankful when she gets out. Unfortunately, there are many dogs put down everyday that no one wants but something about the thought of this happening to Jolene just makes me sick. I would have taken her if I didn't have a cat and a small dog in a small living area.

She barks when she sees "prey" like through a fence or a window or something. Her demeanor is excellent though. She is very submissive and docile and all she wants is to please and be loved. Not hyper at all."

I know it is a long shot, but I hope somebody out there needs and wants a dog like this. Thanks for any consideration. If you are interested please just post on here and I will get the contact info.

Last edited by shooter34; 08-25-2012 at 12:56 AM.
shooter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2012, 01:05 AM   #2
Snapper

I wish I could adopt her. But I just can't. I have rescued 3 dogs so far and cannot take another. Good Luck and God Bless.
fishnhuntguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2012, 01:23 AM   #3
*^* JaiBo *^*
Grand Slam

hope you can find a home fer her....good luck!
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2012, 07:37 AM   #4
Snapper

Good luck on the adoption... I really hope someone snatches this girl up..
bamagun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2012, 07:38 AM   #5
Snapper

If she doesnt get adopted, contact "Ruff" here in Ft Walton (they are a no-kill shelter, and might be able to help you save her life)..
bamagun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2012, 08:38 AM   #6
Snapper

i've got 4 bro. 3 of which are rescues which would be dead today.

keep asking around, that is a great dog for a family or to take fishing
stevesmi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2012, 12:33 PM   #7
Blue Marlin

She has good looking spots on her coat. The mild heartworm thing is not a problem as long as she is given monthly Heartguard or some other brand. I have gone through several rescues with the same problem and I didn't have to do the harsh treatment and it was cheap to do it this way.
SHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
Grouper

beautiful dog it looks like hound and reminds me of the german short haired pointer
FISHBOXFULL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in