Do you remember the first time you fished, where, what you caught & who was there? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Old 01-07-2008, 05:37 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Do you remember the first time you fished, where, what you caught & who was there?

I was 5 years old. It was Butler Lake, a spring fed lake in Northern IL. I was fishing with my three older

brothers, mom & dad. The first fish I caught was a keeper rock bass, which I yanked up and got tangled in

the apple tree behind me. My dad came over to untangle everything. He wasn't too happy that I took

away from his fishing time. Of course, I was just thrilled that I caught something. I remember it just hung

there in front of my face. I hit it a couple of times with my forefinger to see if I could get it to flop around.

I've been hooked ever since.

Dplantmann

PS Two years ago I visited the exact spot and took a cutting of a water plant and put in into my

pond at home. It's cool to have something which brings back fond memories evertime I look at it.
Dplantmann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2008, 05:53 PM   #2
Grouper

Default RE: Do you remember the first time you fished, where, what you caught & who was there?

I went to Deland Florida with my Grandparents I wasn't but about 4-5 years old but remember catching blue gills left and right. That trip got me hooked on fishing and been doing it ever since.
seminolewind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2008, 06:22 PM   #3
Trigger

Default RE: Do you remember the first time you fished, where, what you caught & who was there?

I was about 8 and fishing in the ADSFR w/ my dad and brother. I caught a King that I thought was the biggest, strongest and coolest looking thing I had ever seen. In reality it weighed about 10lbs. We threw it in the box. My big bro caught about a 40 lber and we threw it in the box. When we got back to the scales and opened the box his king had swallowed about 1/2 of mine. I was pissed, but I will never forget my dad and his friend pulling the fish apart by the tails. I was hooked that day.

Good day.
onoahi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2008, 06:37 PM   #4
Snapper

I really don't remember how old I was, but pretty young. My Dad wasn't a fisherman, but knew I wanted to try fishing. He got me a rod and some bait and fished in Lake lanier. I reeled in my pole and got all excited, it was heavy, and I just new I had a big fish. Got it to the bank, and it was a pair of blue jeans with the butt burned out of them. Been fishin' ever since, walking the creek banks, and hitting all them farm ponds back in kansas.
Jig n Hawgs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2008, 06:44 PM   #5
Super Moderator
Blue Marlin

I can remember riding in the middle of a small boat on a lake down near Chipley, (I think) with Daddy and my Granny. If I am not mistaken they were slash fishing for crackers and bluegills. I know for sure I been fishing myself since pre kindergarden era. Roughly 41-42 years worth...
Old 01-07-2008, 07:08 PM   #6
Grouper

Bank fishing for white perch (crappie) when I was about 5. It took my little brother a little while to figure it out. He kept complaining that his cork was sinking! Good times and great memories!
jigslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2008, 10:46 AM   #7
Cigar Minnow

Notice the pattern? Young, catch something, excitement, memories, hooked. If you have young kids or

know young kids, take them fishing. Try to go somewhere where they can have a little excitement. You

will be making memories which will last them the rest of their lives.

GO FISHING
Dplantmann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2008, 11:06 AM   #8
Sailfish

I was 5-6 on summer visit to my Grandparents, Dads side, up in southern Indiana. Went with my Grandmother and caught a mess of blue gill. Came back home and she made me and my cousin clean them. Made a pretty big mess until she showed us how.
sosmarine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2008, 11:29 AM   #9
Grouper

I was probably somewhere in the 4 year range but I'm not sure which happened first. One was with my Grandfather, fishing off a bridge over a pond/bayou at his house. Bream I guess. Or it could have been a pinfish with my Dad ona hand line while out skiing and cruising like we did every weekend. Not sure which happened first. The ole five foot of line wrapped around finger, gold hook and piece of bread trick works wonders with little children!!
FizzyLifter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2008, 06:10 PM   #10
Sailfish

Very first time ever fishing I was about 7. I wentwith my mom, grandma, brother, and cousin to a very small local pond (NC)- I couldn't tell you what it was I caught - but I remember my mom frying them up for supper that night. We were using bamboo poles with a bobber and worms.

Very first saltwater fish - I was 18. I went with my boyfriend (now my husband)and his dad 12 miles off Wrightsville Beach and put a sabiki on the bottom. I caught a freaking false albacore and it got wrapped alllll around the sabikis, but I got it to the boat. :-) Fun!
reelfinatical is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in