Do I even need to buy a GPS? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2015, 11:38 PM   #1
Grand Slam

Default Do I even need to buy a GPS?

I have a Magellan triton handheld but the screen is so small! I got an elite FF /GPS on the boat but it's mounted on the boat and to hard to move around plus the screen is so small! I got one on my phone and several awesome apps but pinpoint accurate it ain't and even though I know how to cache the maps it usually doesn't seem to work very well if I have no cellular signal.
Not sure I really need one - I range about 15 miles on the Alabama river and have lots of spots but I think I can remember them all - pretty much. Wife and I like to wander the dirt roads but I can usually find a way back. Idk. I kinda want a new handheld so gimme some models to look at. Mainly for fishing and hiking the back roads.
Try'n Hard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2015, 11:49 PM   #2
Sailfish

Without a cellular signal you're screwed, especially if there aren't lines painted on your property.

Either use a GPS or learn your walking gait and pace and use a map and a compass after having determined distances from google earth or something like it to let you know how far you need to go to reach a point.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
Huntinman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2015, 11:52 PM   #3
Blue Marlin

Get a garmin and get one in color ! I've had the 76 and 660 before and liked them both. Here is the 76.... http://m.ebay.com/itm/GARMIN-GPSMAP-....c100408.m2460
Murphy's Law is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2015, 11:54 PM   #4
Sailfish

I guess the one good thing is that if you do it once using a map and/or a GPS, you can mark a trail to where you need to be with something.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
Huntinman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2015, 11:55 PM   #5
Grand Slam

GPS is a much more consistent option. I have a Garmin 478 for sale if you need a good one for a good price
jspooney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2015, 10:05 AM   #6
White Marlin

Get a garmin, the Dakota or above and make sure it'll take expandable memory ie sd card. I bought my Dakota on eBay a couple years ago for 100$ also check out geocaching forums for good used models. If it was me I would spend the extra money on a garmin oregon unit, their worth every penny for people that wander the outdoors a lot.
Hopin4aboat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2015, 12:51 AM   #7
Grouper

The Trimble / Cabelas apps work well offline. Been happy with accuracy for hunting. Haven't tested the fishing or hiking dedicated all, but should be just as good. I've used the hunting version for hiking, fishing, etc as well just fine. Lots of map options for cacheing and never had accuracy issues. Kinda like taking waypoint pics as well.

Last edited by slackwolf; 08-25-2015 at 12:54 AM.
slackwolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2015, 01:16 AM   #8
Grand Slam

Default Do I even need to buy a GPS?

I use the Trimble but accuracy can vary as much as 50 yds. I used the blood trail feature one morning and realized how off it really was. Map cache is a little shaky also - it works ok unless you really need it. It's still the best free iPhone/GPS app out there

Last edited by Try'n Hard; 08-25-2015 at 01:37 AM.
Try'n Hard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2015, 02:26 AM   #9
Snapper

I have a Garmin 450 and use it in conjunction with Garmin Homebase and Google Earth. You can set it up to automatically track you trail then select return and go back out the same way you came in. I mostly use mine for hunting and scouting to mark locations and stand without using ribbon or cateye tacks.
Good luck
Payatot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2015, 12:11 PM   #10
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Try'n Hard View Post
I use the Trimble but accuracy can vary as much as 50 yds. I used the blood trail feature one morning and realized how off it really was. Map cache is a little shaky also - it works ok unless you really need it. It's still the best free iPhone/GPS app out there
I bought the app back when it was under the Cabelas name and pay only, which I believe was grandfathered into their Pro App with Elite account. Now it updated to Trimble GPS Hunt Pro/Elite. Not sure what differences are between the Pro/Elite and Free versions other than more map cacheing options and map creations on website.

I've had good luck with accuracy within 10-12' with fairly thin cover and 15-20' in thick cover and swamps. Definetely depends on the device it's running on. Seems the Verizon Motorola Droid line has a pretty sensitive GPS as I've had great luck with the Droid Bionic and Droid MAXX on plotting/marking trails as well as creating tracks online by the topographic maps, then following them by GPS in the dark. Some of the Samsung Galaxy S line phones seem very accurate as well. Most of my use of it has been without cell service of any kind.

I've seen some GPS accuracy tests on some of the iphones that show as far as single point accuracy are good, but their plotting accuracy with movement is all over the place on some models. No clue what GPS chip Apple uses in their line, but I know it is always lacking the S-GPS side and relies heavily on A-GPS.

I know for handhelds, Trimble units are hard to beat if you want accurate plotting/tracking, but are pricey. They are typically Android or Windows based depending on the model.

Last edited by slackwolf; 08-25-2015 at 12:19 PM.
slackwolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in