Diving and the law question. - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Like Tree3Likes

Old 06-28-2014, 08:41 AM   #1
CCC
Grand Slam

Default Diving and the law question.

Just saw on the news where there are new diver buoy rules, didn't catch it all but did see where boaters had to stay 300' from a dive buoy. My wife and I had a situation several weeks ago where we idled up to the Mass. and there were some divers right over the middle of it, they didn't have tanks, snorkeling (looked to be a family), boats were all around them some within 20 feet, so my question is this. I am sure that the snorkelers were not the first boat there, so LEGALLY if a bunch of boats are over a wreck bottom fishing, divers pull up and set their dive buoy, does that mean all boats around them bottom fishing have to pack up and move away 300' if they were there first ????????
CCC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2014, 08:54 AM   #2
White Marlin

my understanding is that operators are to make an effort to stay 300ft away, if they approach within 300 ft, then they should use min speed to make headway. So if you are anchored, no problem. motor is not running. If you are drifting over a spot different question.

My understanding is the real change to the law is allowing buoys instead of flags when diving from shore. Flags are still required when using a boat.
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2014, 08:57 AM   #3
eating tasty
White Marlin

I'm not sure what a dive buoy is, but per FWC website dive flag rules are the same, as Ed stated.

Diving and the law question.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1403956654-020885-jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FenderBender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2014, 09:37 AM   #4
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCC View Post
Just saw on the news where there are new diver buoy rules, didn't catch it all but did see where boaters had to stay 300' from a dive buoy. My wife and I had a situation several weeks ago where we idled up to the Mass. and there were some divers right over the middle of it, they didn't have tanks, snorkeling (looked to be a family), boats were all around them some within 20 feet, so my question is this. I am sure that the snorkelers were not the first boat there, so LEGALLY if a bunch of boats are over a wreck bottom fishing, divers pull up and set their dive buoy, does that mean all boats around them bottom fishing have to pack up and move away 300' if they were there first ????????
There are rules, regulation and laws the gov/state/city have on the books and then there is common sense and respect for others. Unfortunately we all know how that works for some on the water.
Outside9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2014, 10:38 AM   #5
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside9 View Post
There are rules, regulation and laws the gov/state/city have on the books and then there is common sense and respect for others. Unfortunately we all know how that works for some on the water.
Common sense I saw last week. @ the Mass boat anchored nobody on board. Getting ready to call the CG. See bubbles and dont call. 6 divers down. some boats get 10 feet from boat with divers down. Dive charter boat never takes his flag down even runs with it up from spot to spot. Hangs out at the Mass nobody down flag still up for an hour.
DawnsKayBug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2014, 10:48 AM   #6
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

You just can't fix arrogance( people who crowd in on you ). You are under no obligation to move if you are on a spot and some reef cowboy comes up and dives in your bubble. Just leave with caution if they are still in the water when you exit stage left.
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2014, 10:50 AM   #7
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnsKayBug View Post
Common sense I saw last week. @ the Mass boat anchored nobody on board. Getting ready to call the CG. See bubbles and dont call. 6 divers down. some boats get 10 feet from boat with divers down. Dive charter boat never takes his flag down even runs with it up from spot to spot. Hangs out at the Mass nobody down flag still up for an hour.
I know a guy who goes well offshore and dives alone, crazy stuff.
Outside9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2014, 11:34 AM   #8
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnsKayBug View Post
Why would you call the coast guard when there was a dive flag up. No law about diving without anyone in boat. It is a vioalation to have flag up when no one is in water. Never saw it enforced.
In the keys everyone keeps there dv flag up when running. I keep mine up sometimes running from spot to spot [old age forgetfulness] it gives everyone on my next public spot to start bitching before i get anchored.
60hertz and Ocean Master like this.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:43 PM   #9
Snapper

still sounds like a bunch of bull that a dive boat can pull up after you've been fishing raise a flag and by law you have to leave. or am i misinformed?
Tcheeks38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2014, 12:47 PM   #10
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcheeks38 View Post
still sounds like a bunch of bull that a dive boat can pull up after you've been fishing raise a flag and by law you have to leave. or am i misinformed?
Misinformed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in