Dividing the spoils of Sector Seperation - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Like Tree19Likes

Old 10-27-2014, 02:53 PM   #1
Kim
Blue Marlin

Default Dividing the spoils of Sector Seperation

Now that it has happened, I'm really curious to see how it is going to be appropriated out amongst the CFH sector. Are the boats that can prove catch histories going to win the lions share while the little guys end up with little to nothing.

I'm wondering if the little guys are going to be like penny stocks and end up selling their shares to the larger corporations or through brokerage firms and the Gulf of Mexico fisheries ends up like those in the North East and Alaska.

The real question now is can the CFH sector fairly distribute their welfare check, opps I mean public resources equitably for every single CFH boat? If it turns into a hatchet fight about getting " my quota" amongst them, then greed will prevail and that will only benefit the top dogs. I wonder what some of the CFH folks will say when their share is so small that it will not cover the cost to operate their business and they have to lease shares from the fat cats to survive or get into the business at a cost of half their profits. Meanwhile the grandfather lessors are sitting at home not fishing and making more money than the guys that are.

Last edited by Kim; 10-27-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2014, 03:03 PM   #2
Grouper

Right now there is no share to divide - they are all one group fishing for their allocation of fish. Soon, we will start hearing the cries for Catch Shares in the for-hire sector, which is the ONLY reason AM 40 was approved.

It's kinda like the sunset provision - they agree to it in order to get their foot in the door, but I can guarantee you they have no intention of letting it die in 3 years. Or, how about the provision that ANY person could purchase commercial red snapper IFQs after 5 years? It sounded good in order to sell the concept, but of course, after the 5 years was up they rescinded that requirement.

It's how it's done - marketing and packaging it to sell the concept, then implement the REAL agenda down the road....
JoeZ likes this.
Tom Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2014, 03:44 PM   #3
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

It is nothing more than divide and conquer. Their intention was and still is to splinter off groups and cut them out completely. It will eventually be a scares few who have the entire enchilada. Crony capitalism at it's finest.
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2014, 03:47 PM   #4
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterman View Post
It is nothing more than divide and conquer. Their intention was and still is to splinter off groups and cut them out completely. It will eventually be a scares few who have the entire enchilada. Crony capitalism at it's finest.
I think you are right.It's not a public resource anymore,it's strictly a business thing now and that's how bidness works.
2RC's II and captaindye251 like this.
scott44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2014, 04:02 PM   #5
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

All you had to do was follow the money trail, EDF and the Walton Foundation ( that's right Walmart Corporate ) were the ones pushing all this stuff, and backing it also. Bottom line, they will profit from all of this.
Bottom1 and captaindye251 like this.
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2014, 04:42 PM   #6
Kim
Blue Marlin

So I guess what is going to happen is a tremendous rodeo type fishing for the next three years which would eat up the TAC quickly and then they can say that shares/IFQ'a/Quotas would prevent that. Pretty good plan.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2014, 09:32 PM   #7
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hilton View Post
Right now there is no share to divide - they are all one group fishing for their allocation of fish. Soon, we will start hearing the cries for Catch Shares in the for-hire sector, which is the ONLY reason AM 40 was approved.

It's kinda like the sunset provision - they agree to it in order to get their foot in the door, but I can guarantee you they have no intention of letting it die in 3 years. Or, how about the provision that ANY person could purchase commercial red snapper IFQs after 5 years? It sounded good in order to sell the concept, but of course, after the 5 years was up they rescinded that requirement.

It's how it's done - marketing and packaging it to sell the concept, then implement the REAL agenda down the road....
I was pretty sure anyone could buy red snapper IFQs. I was involved with a significant sale a while back and there was no stipulation about who could buy what at the time that I know of.

I understand that buying them would be VERY speculative because the buyer couldn't fish them without a SPL, Reef fish license, restricted species, etc., etc., etc. But I would think they could buy and them and then lease them out.
DreamWeaver21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2014, 11:05 AM   #8
Trigger

Let's do some math and touch on some civics while we're at it.

First and most important, there is ONLY 100% of the Total allowable catch to split.

51% has already been gifted to the Commercial fishermen. Before the IFQ scheme, there were about 800 commercial fishermen in the Gulf of Mexico earning a living. After the "powers that be" gifted out the individual quotas, the big guys got bigger and the little guys were forced out of business because they couldn't compete. Now, there are only about 400 Commercial boats in the Gulf and they still take 51%.

Ok, now...lets look at the recreational sector's 49% It just got split.

Let's assume they do an even split of the quota so 24.5% for the Charter Industry. Woo Hoo! They're saved! Or, are they? Let's keep doing some math.

24.5% for the For Hire Sector but...oops, first we have to subtract 5.3% that was gifted to 13 men and 17 boats last year.

Now, the remaing approximately 1,200 charter guys have 19.2% to split amongst them. What?! 13 men get 5.3% and 1,200 have to split 19.2%??? Let the fighting begin inside the CFH sector becasue, if they did even splits to give an equitable share to all the remaining boats that would give them 19.2% divided by 1,200 = .016% for each charter. Yes, you read that right, 1/10th of 1%. Will these newly gifted men and women be able to compete with the gifted 13 men who already enjoy 5.3% of the for hire quota? Somehow, I don't think so.

So how many fish will 1/10 of 1% of 19.2% put in these charter boats? Well, it depends on the 2015 TAC. Don't get too excited all you CFH sector guys! Not even those who are sure they will be the favored ones that will be gifted enough to survive the CFH attrition that is most assuredly coming.

Now, here is something none of these Captains and crews considered. (Atleast not out-loud). By law, the NMFS has to close federal waters once the TAC is reached. The Charter boys and girls who begged for this forgot that the Gulf Coast States must keep their recreational fishermen on the water or we would see big chains like Bass Pro shop and West Marine go out of business. Oh, and what about all those boat retailers and mechanics that fix the MILLIONS of privately owned boats? The recreational boating industry in Florida is a 10.5 BILLION dollar economic engine. Somehow I doubt the few hundred charter boats and commercial boats contributed much to that industry in the big picture. Now, the states will also have thousands of marina owners suffering if their customers can't fish - whoops, can't forget all the dive shops in our state that cater to spearfishermen or the ice manufacturers that sell ice to millions of us every week or, the insurance companies or, the banks that loan us money so we can throw it in a hole in the water. I could go on ad-nausium but you get the picture. So, ...what will the Gulf states have to do to prevent an economic down turn?

Why, open up State waters for fishing, that's what! They won't be able to afford to cater to a small special interest group at the expense of their state economies. Hmmm, now there is a fly in the soup... What to do? Well, you can bet your sweet batootie the CFH folks will be pressuring the States to abide by Federal Rules but, the states are now in an uncomfortable position where they have to choose between pleasing hundreds of charter operators or pissing off MILLIONS of people who live, pay taxes and vote in the Gulf states. Yep, Florida isn't the only problem. TX leaders have steel resolve and LA looks like they have gotten wise to the NMFS manipulation games. FL and even MS is catching on. AL? Who knows??? 80% of the Gulf States decide to look out for their own citizens and economy, that's a high mark to overcome even for the special interest groups.

We are no longer in one sector so their votes will definately be an us v/s them vote now. Most unfortunate for State Governors who appoint Fish and Wildlife Commissioners. Now, the pressure will be on the politicians because we are no longer one sector and we will no longer be looking to the commission as a united group, we will be looking hard at the person who put them there come election day if the Governor appointed commissions in the 5 Gulf States side against the voting public. This vote for sector separation was a game changer for everyone. Yep, a real game changer.

All the private recreational fishermen are losers in the federal fishery if the Secretary of the Department of Commerce lets Sector Separation be implemented. We'll see how that goes. Congress can still cut funding for NOAA/NMFS. They can repeal the MSA. The fight isn't over by a long shot.

If you want to stop it, go here and take the 1 question poll at the Congressional sportsmen's Caucus then send the link to all your fishing buddies in all the Gulf States!: http://www.sportsmenslink.org/caucuses/congressional Took me less than 1 minute to complete.

Here is the biggest kicker - If the Commercial, Charter and Private guys all united, we would be able to fix fishery problems. There are enough fish for everyone and we all know the NMFS is BROKEN. Divisions never make things better, it just sets up more fighting amongst ourselves when we should be united to fight against a broken government that creates problems to manage.
Candy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2014, 11:35 AM   #9
Sailfish

Wow, that is a very well written examination of politics to come. Good thought there Candy.
tbaxl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2014, 12:26 PM   #10
Sailfish

Location: Ozark, Missouri - 6 miles from Bass Pro Shops' world headquarters; and the entire gulf coast area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott44 View Post
I think you are right.It's not a public resource anymore,it's strictly a business thing now and that's how bidness works.
I have said it before, but I will say again; It is not about the fish or fishing. It is about the money. The fishing industry, recreation and commercial, is under the control of the "DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE". Do you think they care whether or not you catch red snapper? No, they don't! They want whatever will generate the most dollars into the economy. And that is the way it will be until fish and the fishing industry is placed under a different department.
Crazy Old Phil likes this.
fishn4real is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in