Disabled Veterans - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Old 07-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #1
White Marlin

Default Disabled Veterans

I know we have a lot of military and retired military on this forum. Maybe you can help me understand something. I saw an advertisement for a charity building specially equipped homes for disabled veterans. I have donated before to similar charities like Homes for Heroes and Thomas Gerome House, but I always ask myself why helping these veterans is a charitable endeavor. Don't we as a nation take the responsibility to provide for the needs of these heroes occasioned by the injuries they received in the defense of our nation?

What benefits are actually available through the government and what do they see as beyond the scope of their responsibility? I will support the charities, but I am more interested going at this through congress and making sure we as taxpayers and citizens meet our responsibilities.

Your thoughts and education would be greatly appreciated.
Bill Me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
Kim
Blue Marlin

Unfortunately we as a nation fall short of taking care of our disabled veterans. The Iraq war is a case in point, disabled casualties get compensated by the VA with medical retirement pay, based on their pay grade and % of disability awarded to them. For the seriously disabled that VA compensation which is tax free does not even come close to covering the cost of their care.

Just an after thought, look at how long it has taken for the government to recognize PTSD in Vietnam Vets. I don't even want to get started on the effects of Agent Orange on those exposed to it.

Last edited by Kim; 07-03-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
Unfortunately we as a nation fall short of taking care of our disabled veterans. The Iraq war is a case in point, disabled casualties get compensated by the VA with medical retirement pay, based on their pay grade and % of disability awarded to them. For the seriously disabled that VA compensation which is tax free does not even come close to covering the cost of their care.

Just an after thought, look at how long it has taken for the government to recognize PTSD in Vietnam Vets. I don't even want to get started on the effects of Agent Orange on those exposed to it.

This country falls way short, once the fanfair is over they are left alone sometimes. A damn shame when we have groups taking up collections of toiletry items etc. to send to our soilders
Outside9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #4
White Marlin

So we have all the money we need for bombs and bullets, but not to take care of those that pay with their bodies? What about things like prostetics and in home aid etc...
Bill Me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #5
Seafox 237 twin outboards
Blue Marlin

The men that made this country a free country are sometimes forgotten about. Our great government is first on the list. Every other time I see a leg less homeless man, he is a disabled vet. Our government does nothing other than offer a V.A. For them.
I always thank them for there service
Chapman5011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2013, 11:35 PM   #6
White Marlin

falling short does not even begin to describe.

when I entered the military, I was told if I made a career of it and retired, I would never have to pay for medical again, guess what, I pay an annual premium just like everyone else although it is considerably less than what civilians pay.

I am a dv although minimally, 20%. my "benefit" is that they take a percentage out of my retirement check and give it back to me through the VA and it's tax free....no it's not even 20% of my retirement check.

my example is petty compared to the others I've seen and read about. I would love to see this country take care of it's dv's like it does it's congressmen. heck, I'd be happy if they just recieved the same medical benefit's.

there is a billboard sign that I see everyday coming home from work on Blue Angel that just frustrates the crap out of me. It's says "40% of the homeless in this county are veterans".

while mine is as I stated small and not combat related, a combat related dv in this country should never have to worry about anything again....ever.

Last edited by brnbser; 07-03-2013 at 11:42 PM.
brnbser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2013, 02:52 AM   #7
Mingo

Just my .02 after retiring from the USMC it has been fairly simple- if you are proactive and take responsibility for your case. sooooo many folks sit and bitch and whine. Its simple follow the directions and fill out the forms - yea it might take a bit to get approved but if your shit is valid you will get what you rate.
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2013, 04:02 AM   #8
Mingo

I can tell you my story, and I'll let others chime in with theirs. Please do not take this as a bitch session, because it is not. I have several generations of Marines in my family, and I knew full well what I was signing up for, and what was expected of me.
I was injured while on convoy duty in 2006. Luckily, it just happened to happen 2 days prior to my rotation back to the states. I am not at liberty to discuss the details, but I was kept on heavy dosages of pain meds for possible TBI and spinal injury until they could get me back to the states. As soon as I got off the plane we were bombarded with mental health folks. Anyone with any time behind the trigger, or with any time outside the wire was questioned. It almost seemed like they were looking for a reason to diagnose you with PTSD. After a few very heated discussions, I got thru to them that I had a severe spinal injury and needed to be seen asap. I was given vitamin M, flexeril, and told to take a few days to rest my back. That night, half of my body went numb and the other half was in extreme pain. To make a long story short, several visits and mri's later, I was diagnosed with 8 bulging disk, 6 pinched nerves, and 2 chipped vertebrae. The doc started talking about surgery and the readiness guys started talking MEB (medical evaluation board). An meb is used to determine if your injuries will allow you to stay in the military. They tried to convince me to get out, that I would never run again and that the VA would take care of my surgery. I had my surgery (spinal disk fusion C1, C2, + C5,6,7) in early 2007 and was sent to my MEB shortly after, fully expecting to get kicked out. I was returned to full duty with the exception that I can never run again. I do the rest of my pt test just fine, but cannot run. I am in pain every day of my life because I choose not to spend my life on the tubs of narcotic pain pills they give me. I continue to push thru that pain because I only have 5 more years till I retire, and I don't want to have to go thru another MEB and possibly get kicked out. I know several, probably 20-30 people just like me, pushing thru pain we probably shouldn't be, just so we can get that retirement check we were promised years
ago. I have seen several of my friends get out with blown knees and bad spinal pain, TBIs, and other injuries, and it was a total nightmare dealing with the VA. I don't expect my experience will be any different. You are never told about the VA, the paperwork, or how their secret decoder ring rating system works while you are active duty. Most people find out on their own when they have to go thru the process of filling it out. I think the system is very broke, but then again, I never signed any documents saying they would take care of me after I got out either.
lastlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2013, 06:35 AM   #9
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
Just my .02 after retiring from the USMC it has been fairly simple- if you are proactive and take responsibility for your case. sooooo many folks sit and bitch and whine. Its simple follow the directions and fill out the forms - yea it might take a bit to get approved but if your shit is valid you will get what you rate.
100% agree with you. If it was simple everyone would be claiming it. There are counselors that work at the VA that have nothing to do with the VA they are hired and paid by the state to help any veteran with claims. I retired in 1980 and just two weeks ago got an acceptable upgrade to my Disability. Scott there are certain ratings that are considered combat related. And if your 20% ratings have increased any reapply for an upgrade. Give me a holler first.
sealark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2013, 09:11 AM   #10
Mingo

I am 100% DV...the medical care I receive is OK but you have to be proactive. The VA on the other hand is horrible when you get out. basically you are fast tracked when active duty which fast track means you will get a rating within 8 months. when your out good luck... on two separate occasions they have lost all my paperwork and you cant talk to the folks were your papers are. its been a year and a half and I am still waiting on VA determinations. Basically you can rely on groups like wounded warrior or DAV but not the VA. I too don't want to seem like I am bitching but I want to give you my perspective
samiams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in