Clarify how State waters work? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Old 05-16-2019, 11:03 PM   #1
Grouper

Default Clarify how State waters work?

I have recently started getting comfortable with getting out of the bays more and into the Gulf. So I want to make sure I understand how it works... State waters go to 9 miles out, which I take it is in a straight line out from the beach I guess? If I leave from PCola Pass but I go far enough West to be off Alabama instead of off Florida, I don't need an AL license unless I'm inside of 9 miles from shore? I will probably get the AL license myself anyway just to not have to worry about it, but I have family coming into town this summer and I want to make sure I'm following the rules with regards to which license(s) they will need for where we'll go fishing.

Thanks.

"Things are only impossible until they're not"
SurfRidr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2019, 11:16 PM   #2
White Marlin

The nine mile limit off Alabama only applies to reef fish. Otherwise it is 3 miles.

https://www.outdooralabama.com/saltw...cense-boundary

But yes. If you are beyond the 9 mile limit you are outside of state waters and would not need an Alabama license. If you have to make for Perdido pass due to weather or some other event, and you have fish on board, you are definitely in a gray area, even if you don't stop in Alabama waters. If you do have to stop, you better have an Alabama license.

Last edited by Play'N Hooky Too; 05-16-2019 at 11:32 PM.
Play'N Hooky Too is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019, 07:47 AM   #3
Blue Marlin

It is 9 nautical miles....or 9.9 Statute mi. from the beach in Fl. on the Gulf side.

Most chart plotters will now show it if you look. This is NOT a straight line. It follows the shoreline.

If you are in dough.....Use your chartplotter and measure the distance. But better yet Sitting at home in your driveway, play with your chartplotter....Bring up the spots you what to go to and measure due North to see if they are in the zone.

Not knowing and out farther is no excuse and can get you a ticket. They can track you and ping you via Radar.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:41 AM   #4
Grouper

Ok that answers my questions, thanks gentlemen. Most the spots I know of are 10 to 12 miles off and further but I just wanted to make sure I understood the rules correctly.

Thanks again!

"Things are only impossible until they're not"
SurfRidr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019, 10:44 AM   #5
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play'N Hooky Too View Post
. If you have to make for Perdido pass due to weather or some other event, and you have fish on board, you are definitely in a gray area, even if you don't stop in Alabama waters. If you do have to stop, you better have an Alabama license.

This is probably the best argument we could use to get the states to reciprocate licenses. Making a safety argument puts them on the defense trying to say they don't care about safety while still checking people for safety equipment.
OldMan-theSea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in