Check out this BS email from the EDF - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Russian

Old 05-29-2014, 01:31 PM   #1
Snapper

Default Check out this BS email from the EDF

I hate to even give publicity to these jackoffs, but a friend of mine forwarded this to me, makes you want to puke!

As a resident of Florida, you know how vital the Gulf of Mexico is to this region. It is home to some of North America's most beautiful coastlines and most important fisheries, uniting coastal communities from Florida to Texas.

But, living near the Gulf also teaches us that nature is not inexhaustible. Decades of overfishing have transformed the marine ecosystems in the Gulf and put many of our fisheries on the brink of collapse.

For years, with your support, we've been advocating to fix the fishery management system in the Gulf to better protect marine wildlife and sustainable fishing. And, working closely with commercial fishermen, we've made remarkable progress.

But, the Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council is currently considering a backward proposal that would hurt hard-working commercial fishermen and drastically undermine the progress we've made.

I'm writing to you today because I hope you'll join our Share the Gulf campaign to help stop this backward and counter-productive proposal in its tracks.

Your voice in this fight is urgently needed to counter the efforts of the powerful and politically influential groups lobbying leaders in the Gulf.

This proposal would strip commercial fishermen of nearly half a million pounds of red snapper next year and severely limit their share of the fishery in the future. All of that fish will end up in the recreational fishery where it won't help anglers and won't fix the years of overages that have occurred under the current recreational management.

Recreational fishermen need a new management plan that will help them stay within their limit and improve their access to the fishery, not fish taken through a political scheme from consumers and Gulf seafood businesses.

Taking these fish away from commercial fishermen, who operate under sustainable fishing practices, before we get the rules right for recreational fishing is backwards and will undermine the long-term recovery of Gulf Coast fisheries.

A decision on this proposal is expected over the summer, so there’s very little time to act.

Please join our Share the Gulf campaign to help us fight back and speak out for the long-term health and recovery of Gulf Coast fisheries.

I hope you'll stand with us in this important fight.

Thank you,

Heather Shelby
Action Network Coordinator
The LaJess II likes this.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/surfprofishing

Instagram @nicdezinski
Russian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2014, 01:40 PM   #2
White Marlin

So taking the quota from one group and giving it to another will harm the environment???

There are so few Snapper now, that I caught a 29 inch one on the surface last weekend while fishing for King Mackerel!
NoMoSurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2014, 02:22 PM   #3
Sailfish

If you go to thier website, they are located in New York.
The Maintenance Shoppe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2014, 10:57 PM   #4
I'VE never caught a
Sailfish

What a bunch oh jackasses!
Hound_dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2014, 12:50 AM   #5
Sailfish

Read second paragraph. Steve Southerland is on top of this crap.

Recreational Fishing Alliance Contact: Jim Hutchinson, Jr. / 888-564-6732
For Immediate Release May 29, 2014

CONGRESSIONAL COMMITTEE APPROVES 'FLEXIBILITY'
RFA Supported Magnuson Reform Bill Moves Closer To House Vote

The House Natural Resources Committee voted today to move HR 4742, the "Strengthening Fishing Communities and Increasing Flexibility in Fisheries Management Act," to the floor of the House for a vote. The committee vote to approve incorporation of limited flexibility measures in the federal fisheries law was approved by a vote of 24-17 along purely partisan lines.
Bipartisan amendments, on the other hand, offered by Rep. Steve Southerland (R-FL) and Rep. Frank Pallone (D-NJ) respectively to restrict trading of fish allocation within the commercial sector while initiating improvements to recreational fishing data collected by NOAA Fisheries were supported by members of the committee.

"Today's vote was the first step in ensuring our fishermen have a voice in establishing any new catch share programs, while addressing inflexibility in rebuilding plans and moving us closer to a data collection solution," said Rep. Southerland. "I look forward to ensuring our fishermen's interests are addressed as I work with members of both parties to pass Magnuson reauthorization in the House this year."

Earlier this week, the Recreational Fishing Alliance (RFA) sent a nationwide bulletin in support of HR 4742, urging House Natural Resource committee members to vote in favor of the bill along with both the Southerland and Pallone amendments.

HR 4742 was introduced by committee Chair Doc Hastings (R-WA) in an effort to improve and strengthen many of the provisions of the current Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act. Key components of the legislation came about as a result of RFA's frequent political action in Washington in support of additional management flexibility and access to healthy fish stocks. Key language in the Hastings bill would address annual catch limits and accountability measures in the recreational sector, while providing management latitude in deadlines for rebuilding fish stocks.

"Congress should be focused on policies that promote an America that works - and when over a million Americans' jobs are tied to fishing, whether commercial or recreational fishing, renewing and improving the Magnuson-Stevens Act should be a priority." Hastings said today during the hearing. "I know there are still areas of disagreement, but even with areas of disagreement, I believe we have addressed a lot of concerns raised by outside groups and the Ranking Member."

RFA executive director Jim Donofrio praised Chairman Hastings for working with ranking member Peter DeFazio (D-OR) to ensure that many of the democrat concerns were addressed in the final legislation.

"Today's action gives me hope that we can see some type of federal fisheries reform in the very near future, that both Houses can come together to help balance commerce and conservation in support of our nation's saltwater anglers," Donofrio added.

Last edited by The LaJess II; 05-30-2014 at 12:54 AM.
The LaJess II is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2014, 01:21 AM   #6
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian View Post
I hate to even give publicity to these jackoffs, but a friend of mine forwarded this to me, makes you want to puke!

As a resident of Florida, you know how vital the Gulf of Mexico is to this region. It is home to some of North America's most beautiful coastlines and most important fisheries, uniting coastal communities from Florida to Texas.

But, living near the Gulf also teaches us that nature is not inexhaustible. Decades of overfishing have transformed the marine ecosystems in the Gulf and put many of our fisheries on the brink of collapse.

For years, with your support, we've been advocating to fix the fishery management system in the Gulf to better protect marine wildlife and sustainable fishing. And, working closely with commercial fishermen, we've made remarkable progress.

But, the Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council is currently considering a backward proposal that would hurt hard-working commercial fishermen and drastically undermine the progress we've made.

I'm writing to you today because I hope you'll join our Share the Gulf campaign to help stop this backward and counter-productive proposal in its tracks.

Your voice in this fight is urgently needed to counter the efforts of the powerful and politically influential groups lobbying leaders in the Gulf.

This proposal would strip commercial fishermen of nearly half a million pounds of red snapper next year and severely limit their share of the fishery in the future. All of that fish will end up in the recreational fishery where it won't help anglers and won't fix the years of overages that have occurred under the current recreational management.

Recreational fishermen need a new management plan that will help them stay within their limit and improve their access to the fishery, not fish taken through a political scheme from consumers and Gulf seafood businesses.

Taking these fish away from commercial fishermen, who operate under sustainable fishing practices, before we get the rules right for recreational fishing is backwards and will undermine the long-term recovery of Gulf Coast fisheries.

A decision on this proposal is expected over the summer, so there’s very little time to act.

Please join our Share the Gulf campaign to help us fight back and speak out for the long-term health and recovery of Gulf Coast fisheries.

I hope you'll stand with us in this important fight.

Thank you,

Heather Shelby
Action Network Coordinator
Wasn't this sent in a email to him personally? This was not sent out publicly.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:52 AM   #7
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maintenance Shoppe View Post
If you go to thier website, they are located in New York.
Yes, that is their main station. And they a about 4 more stations.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:24 AM   #8
Snapper

Correct Debbie, it was sent in an email, like the same E-blasts we all get from other organizations. Whoever wrote it has their head so far up their arse its not even funny.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/surfprofishing

Instagram @nicdezinski
Russian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2014, 10:54 PM   #9
Blue Marlin

The seafood industry has to be funding this B.S. I would say that the huge fish market in New York is funding their website to put this out about "the poor commercial fishermen".
SHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in