CCA's comments regarding recent AJ closure - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Old 10-23-2009, 10:10 AM   #1
Grouper

Default CCA's comments regarding recent AJ closure

CCA's coomments regarding recent AJ closure<DIV align=center><TABLE class=MsoNormalTable style="BORDER-RIGHT: black 1pt solid; BORDER-TOP: black 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: black 1pt solid; WIDTH: 487.5pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: black 1pt solid; mso-cellspacing: 0in; mso-yfti-tbllook: 1184; mso-padding-alt: 0in 0in 0in 0in; mso-border-alt: solid black .75pt" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=650 border=1><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 56.25pt; mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: black; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: black; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; BACKGROUND: white; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: black; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: black; HEIGHT: 56.25pt"><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'"><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 16.5pt; mso-yfti-irow: 1"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: black; PADDING-RIGHT: 2.4pt; BORDER-TOP: black; PADDING-LEFT: 2.4pt; BACKGROUND: #bd3031; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: black; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: black; HEIGHT: 16.5pt"><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN: right" align=right><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: white; FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'">Call to Action<o></o></TD></TR><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 2; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: black; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: black; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; BACKGROUND: white; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: black; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: black" vAlign=top><TABLE class=MsoNormalTable style="WIDTH: 100%; mso-cellspacing: 0in; mso-yfti-tbllook: 1184; mso-padding-alt: 7.5pt 7.5pt 7.5pt 7.5pt" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 7.5pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 7.5pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 7.5pt; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-TOP: 7.5pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top><TABLE class=MsoNormalTable style="WIDTH: 100%; mso-cellspacing: 0in; mso-yfti-tbllook: 1184; mso-padding-alt: 0in 0in 0in 0in" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'"><o></o><P class=MsoBodyTextIndent2 style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 12pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 7.5pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial','sans-serif'">For Immediate Release: October 21, 2009<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'"><o></o><P class=MsoBodyTextIndent2 style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=center><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 18pt">Federal managers shut down another Gulf fishery <SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'"><o></o><P class=MsoBodyTextIndent2 style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 12pt; TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=center><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold">Decision on Gulf amberjack shows federal management on brink of breakdown<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'"><o></o><P class=MsoBodyTextIndent2 style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal"><SPAN style="mso-bidi-font-weight: bold"><?xml:namespace prefix = u1 /><u1></u1><?xml:namespace prefix = st1 /><st1lace u2:st="on"><st1:city u2:st="on"> CORPUS CHRISTI</st1:city>, <st1:state u2:st="on">TX</st1:state></st1lace> [/I]<SPAN style="mso-bidi-font-weight: bold">- The National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) continued its bizarre history of biased management regarding Gulf amberjack when it announced this week that the recreational season for the popular offshore species will close on October 24 due to the recreational sector overfishing its quota. This announcement comes barely two years after the <st1lace u2:st="on"><st1lacetype u2:st="on">Gulf</st1lacetype> of <st1lacename u2:st="on">Mexico Fishery Management Council</st1lacename></st1lace> arbitrarily shifted a significant portion of recreational allocation to the commercial sector<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'"><o></o><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-INDENT: 0.25in">?There is no way to defend what the Council has done with the management of amberjack. It borders on outright disregard for the recreational sector,? said Chester Brewer, chairman of the Coastal Conservation Associations National Government Relations Committee. ?Combined with what is happening with Gulf red snapper and the commercial catch share plan for Gulf grouper, this latest announcement gives recreational anglers no reason to have any faith in the federal management of recreational fisheries.? <o></o><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-INDENT: 0.25in">In 2007, <SPAN style="COLOR: black">the Council declared that Gulf greater amberjack were overfished, yet increased the commercial share of the fishery while reducing the recreational bag limit to one and increasing the size limit to 30 inches. The recreational restrictions were implemented despite the fact that unchecked commercial overfishing since 1990 was the primary cause of problems in the fishery - see <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Recreational Fishery Hijacked[/B], CCA Press Release, September 10, 2007. <u1></u1><o></o><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-INDENT: 0.25in">?The reduction in amberjack recreational allocation in 2007 from 84 percent to 71 percent has to be the most egregious allocation shift ever enacted by the Gulf Council,? said Ted Forsgren, executive director of CCA Florida. ?Anglers were punished for supporting conservation measures and the commercial industry was rewarded for fishing over its quota. The change in catch level was a direct result of NMFS? failure to enact adequate measures to control commercial take and failure to ever enforce the adopted allocation. We are feeling the full effects of those failures today with a closed recreational season.?<o></o><u1></u1><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-INDENT: 0.25in"><SPAN style="COLOR: black">?If the Council had left the allocation where it was in 2007, and where it rightfully should have been, recreational anglers would not have been over their quota as of the end of August, and likely would not have gone over even by year?s end,? said Dr. Russell Nelson, CCA Gulf Fisheries consultant. ?This is a case where an unwarranted allocation shift from recreational to commercial two years ago is shutting down our season, even though we are not the root cause of the problem.?<o></o><u1></u1><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-INDENT: 0.25in"><SPAN style="COLOR: black">Adding to the frustration of anglers is the fact that last year?s recreational harvest was under the quota, but that underage is not being taken into account this year. Under the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act, catch overages and underages from previous years may be calculated in the following year?s harvest limits, but doing so is not mandatory. In the case of Gulf red snapper, however, two years of recreational overages will result in a dramatically shortened season in 2010.<o></o><u1></u1><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-INDENT: 0.25in"><SPAN style="COLOR: black">?The one-sidedness of federal fisheries management is at a level that makes it almost impossible to believe recreational interests will ever be considered in any meaningful way,? said Brewer. ?No fishery has ever been overfished by recreational angling alone, and any number of economic studies indicates that the recreational sector is by far the most valuable part of our marine fisheries. And yet, fishery after fishery is closing down for anglers while the Councils bend over backwards to keep the longlines and nets in the water. In the eyes of many recreational anglers, the federal management system is on the edge of a total breakdown.?<o></o><u1></u1><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=center><SPAN style="mso-bidi-font-weight: bold; mso-font-kerning: 14.0pt">
###<o></o><u1></u1><P class=MsoBodyTextIndent2 style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=center><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'"><o></o><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 12pt; TEXT-INDENT: 0.25in; TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=center><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 24pt">Make your voice heard on this issue now!
<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 13.5pt">Anglers can send their comments and questions on the arbitrary allocation shift that led to this closure, as wellas its impact on recreational anglers, to the National Marine Fisheries Service at the followingemail address:

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 18pt">Dr. RoyCrabtree<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 13.5pt">
Regional Administrator
for the National Marine Fisheries Service
Southeast Region
[email protected] <o></o><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 12pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'">
<BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><o></o><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #666666; FONT-FAMILY: 'Tahoma','sans-serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'">You have received this message because you have subscribed to a mailing list of Coastal Conservation Association. If you do not wish to receive periodic emails from this source, please click below to unsubscribe.<o></o></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></DIV>
Magic236 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2009, 10:52 AM   #2
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

Default RE: CCA's comments regarding recent AJ closure

Every fisherman on every forum should take the time to flood his email to show their concern for the sport we love so much. GET INVOLVED
lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2009, 11:06 AM   #3
Sailfish

Quote:
lobsterman (10/23/2009)Every fisherman on every forum should take the time to flood his email to show their concern for the sport we love so much. GET INVOLVED

Omega needs to read this article, but even then Im sure he will just post another stupid southpark clip

Everyone on here should do what Lobsterman said and flood his email. And tell your non forum buddies to do the same
choppedliver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2009, 11:19 AM   #4
Sailfish

Well Mr. Crabtree has at least one scathing letter in his inbox
Old 10-23-2009, 11:27 AM   #5
Cigar Minnow

:hotsun Complaing to congress andeveryone elsethat's involved in this islike trying to sqeeeze lemon juice from an apple! those corupt bastards are gonna do what they want regardless of what we say(rec Fisherman). My suggestion would be to have AJ pens and RED snapper pens just like they do for tuna off the coast of mexico in the pacific. this way the commercial industry gets there's and we as rec fisherman and charters can go yank some reef donkeys out the best dang fishery in the U.S!Why arent we doing that? somebody tell me please?ALWAYS REMEMBER" TANNED FAT IS SEXY FAT!"
TANNED FAT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2009, 12:03 PM   #6
Sailfish

Quote:
TANNED FAT (10/23/2009):hotsun Complaing to congress andeveryone elsethat's involved in this islike trying to sqeeeze lemon juice from an apple! those corupt bastards are gonna do what they want regardless of what we say(rec Fisherman). My suggestion would be to have AJ pens and RED snapper pens just like they do for tuna off the coast of mexico in the pacific. this way the commercial industry gets there's and we as rec fisherman and charters can go yank some reef donkeys out the best dang fishery in the U.S!Why arent we doing that? somebody tell me please?ALWAYS REMEMBER" TANNED FAT IS SEXY FAT!"

Tanned, though I agree with you to an extent, NOT complaining and NOT doing anything is part of the reason we are at this point. It's a lot easier for them to get away with their corrupt activities if everyone has the attitude of "well they are gonna do it no matter what so I'll just keep my mouth closed".
Old 10-23-2009, 12:09 PM   #7
Sailfish

My letter to Crabtree:

<U>Dear sir,</U>

<U>Your mismanagement of the Gulf fishery is apalling. Either you are corrupt or else you are incompetant. Either way, it is not good for you.</U>

<U>Rest assured that lawsuits are being filed right now that will make it difficult for you and your cronies to keep your jobs. Expect a pink slip in the near future.</U>
angus_cow_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2009, 12:17 PM   #8
Sailfish

Quote:
angus_cow_doctor (10/23/2009)My letter to Crabtree:

<U>Dear sir,</U>

<U>Your mismanagement of the Gulf fishery is apalling. Either you are corrupt or else you are incompetant. Either way, it is not good for you.</U>

<U>Rest assured that lawsuits are being filed right now that will make it difficult for you and your cronies to keep your jobs. Expect a pink slip in the near future.</U>

Awesome!
Old 10-23-2009, 12:19 PM   #9
Snapper

Where is the "commercial catch" sold? I have lived on the TX coast and eat seafood all the time and have only seen AJ on a menu twice. Just curious. All in all more BS but not much rec fisherman can do about it without lot of money and time.
dpewitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2009, 12:51 PM   #10
Cigar Minnow

Maybe I presented my oppinon in the wrong fashion, I will never Keep my mouth shut and truly believe with my heart that something needs to be done,nor will I role over on this matter! But what I suggest with penning fish would be a diffrent route or angle for everyone to win, as long as the pompus asses believe they thought of the Idea they may indeed concer!including the yahoo's who brought this new rule in effect. Reading through the forum and listening to everyone's concernshas raised my blood pressurethrough the roof and That's whyI decided to login to this forum and help fight the fight, and share positive thoughts on how to rid this terrable decision, and like many have said"I am only one man ,but together we are heard" is true, very true! where to start? I don't know?someone point me in the right direction! what are your thought on pens? anyone? The tuna pens were up and running and producing millions of tons of fish within only 3 years. with minimal amount of start up cost.and hell if it doesnt work, release the nets and let the games begin!:hotsun
TANNED FAT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in