Capsized boat on saturday? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Like Tree7Likes

Old 06-17-2019, 12:39 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Capsized boat on saturday?

A buddy went out and heard some broken radio chatter about a capsized boat 10 miles south of the Destin pass. Is there any word if everyone was okay or what happened? I don’t see anything in the paper so that has to be a good sign.
OutsmartedAgain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2019, 12:51 PM   #2
Bearded Brotula
Grand Slam

Someone posted pics of it in a Facebook group.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:19 PM   #3
Trigger

I was out Saturday and heard this as well. Was expecting to hear something on the FM radio or news on the way home but, didn't and still haven't heard or seen anything posted about it.
If I'm not mistaken I thought I heard the coast guard mention minors being on board the vessel(dont quote me on that) but it was something I thought I heard. I dont have FB so cant read into it.
outlaw1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 03:00 PM   #4
*^* JaiBo *^*
Grand Slam

I saw a boat being towed in yesterday at Destin, heard chatter on the radio about a broken down boat also, don't remember anything Saturday but then again I was out in Pcola Saturday.
Fishing Grandpa likes this.

Philippians 1:21

21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2019, 06:52 PM   #5
Cigar Minnow

I heard that chatter Saturday as well, I hope they were ok. I had also, heard Friday a call about a person getting cut by a wahoo. Must of been really bad, said they had to use a tourniquet, but was still bleeding when the coast guard arrived. I hope everyone is safe.
smsjlong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2019, 08:57 PM   #6
White Marlin

Heard some brief chatter as well on Saturday about a capsized vessel, never heard exactly where or any other details. Was wondering what happened
Linkovich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2019, 01:54 PM   #7
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onemanwolfpack View Post
I haven't seen anything about it on here, so I figured I'd ask. Saturday we were on our way to the edge out of Destin when we heard a distress call about a boat taking on water and loss of contact. I plugged it into our gps and we were only 4 miles from them so we high tailed it over there. When we got there another boat had already gotten the guys out of the water. After making sure they didn't need any extra help, we continued fishing. When headed home we passed the capsized boat again several miles east / southeast of the original location. Is that hull just allowed to float along until it washes up somewhere? That seems like a serious navigational hazard to a boat underway in the dark....

I took this pic when we passed it the second time...this was 25 miles SW of Destin pass
I am hopeful someone has some pics? There was 6 of us on board, and 1 boat near us, and they were pulling anchor and leaving. when we realized were in trouble. scary moment knowing your only way out of death, is reach that boat! When the engine settled at half way under on the first stop from the 14 mile run, very shortly I noticed water on deck where it was not supposed to be! Also thankful for all people on our crew, including Greg that got us life vests out to me and crew, throttling up the boat to dump the water. Henry trying to activate bilges, and Lynn and Brandon waving at the other boat getting there attention, before they left! But it was too late for that! Throttling made no difference, the water was already in our whole hull. The live well, pumped water into the bilge, the whole ride out, and then spread to front of cabin a foot tall digging life vests in a frantic! I know that boat was our ONLY chance! I flipped a hard U turn, and flew to within a 100 yards of that boat! (Over The Limit) and Captain Jeff Hahn. I cut the throttle, and the whole boat settled back, and the engine went under, and then in 4 seconds, that boat turned over, with no warning to react! I could not even change channel 80 to 16 on radio for a maday! If Captain Jeff, had of left, before we ran back to him, life was another scene! So Hats off to Captain Jeff and Over the Limit, for saving all of our lives! We have no words we could utter, to ever describe or come close to the appreciation of that act! It can't be spoke in words!

As to the fish question under the boat???:::: Yes we saw fish in an hour a big brown something. I am guessing, when you dump a whole live well of live bait, and 4 boxes of chum, during a capsize, I image, fish would be present soon! LOL and they were!

As 6 people got dumped into the ocean, sliding off the deck, like Titanic, life just changed! Brandon and Lynn swam over and arrived on Over The Limit first, followed by Henry, rescuing our fish box, and a gaff,(losing 1 pole at the boat) to me, hanging on to Henry's and Gregs Dad Ernie(72), as he was struggling for energy to stay afloat without his life vest on, he couldn't get it on in time, and could just lean over it, as waves challenged us a little, clinging to the flipped craft. So I did get my vest on, (Thanks Greg!) so it really helped in assisting Ernie, in holding him up and keeping him stable and talking him, he be OK, I gotcha man, were not going anywhere, But In the same TONE, I screamed, Hay, get this OLE MAN OUT OF THE WATER! (NO Offense Ernie! LOL) So we waited for Captain Jeff to come over and throw us a Rope, and he pulled us in to safety, and ended a very tense moment that started and ended with all 6 on board, in Only 4 Minutes!

Life Could have been different!

For 6 hours we waited for Boat Us to come rescue the vessel, as the first coordinates given, were off by more than 20 miles away! We then got radar pinged from another boat in between us and Boat us, radio couldn't hear, and relayed our position, they finally made it and recovered the craft. But not understanding the error in the coordinate communications, as 2 other boats did come by and reacting to this message. Hats OFF Thanks for your assistance help too! , the boat other had quads.(white) If Captain Jeff left anchor as planned before we got to him, those coordinates would have never got out, and again, life might be different! But Why did Boat Us, get it wrong, with 2 other helpers giving help, come bye?(they heard them) Coast guard relayed to Boat US those coordinates!

Its the smallest things that we cheat death by, and if everyone's efforts, didn't shine through, in a coordinating effort as they did, I might not be able to go replace the blown engine, with My Son Bryce! My boat (Water Damage), blowing an engine the day before, and the reason, I was Captaining someone else's Boat! The boat owner Randall had to leave that day for work, and let all of us Borrow his boat! It takes a special man, to entrust another man, to use his boat! I am sorry for the craft loss Randall, I wish I could have saved your lifestyle!

We never left the scene, Didn't want to leave a boat adrift, and couldn't deploy the upside down windless anchor. Captain Jeff was kind enough to end his whole day of fishing and talk to strangers for 6 hours, waiting on Boat US., and making the recovery possible So Hats off to Captain Jeff Of Over The Limit, from Illinois, his buddy and young son, made life worth it again! Also for being a good Stuart of the Sea, by Saving all of our lives! Life might have been different without you!

Captain Paul
Water Damage
Yellow River Cat likes this.
Water Damage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2019, 01:57 PM   #8
Cigar Minnow

I am hopeful someone has some pics? There was 6 of us on board, and 1 boat near us, and they were pulling anchor and leaving. when we realized were in trouble. scary moment knowing your only way out of death, is reach that boat! When the engine settled at half way under on the first stop from the 14 mile run, very shortly I noticed water on deck where it was not supposed to be! Also thankful for all people on our crew, including Greg that got us life vests out to me and crew, throttling up the boat to dump the water. Henry trying to activate bilges, and Lynn and Brandon waving at the other boat getting there attention, before they left! But it was too late for that! Throttling made no difference, the water was already in our whole hull. The live well, pumped water into the bilge, the whole ride out, and then spread to front of cabin a foot tall digging life vests in a frantic! I know that boat was our ONLY chance! I flipped a hard U turn, and flew to within a 100 yards of that boat! (Over The Limit) and Captain Jeff Hahn. I cut the throttle, and the whole boat settled back, and the engine went under, and then in 4 seconds, that boat turned over, with no warning to react! I could not even change channel 80 to 16 on radio for a maday! If Captain Jeff, had of left, before we ran back to him, life was another scene! So Hats off to Captain Jeff and Over the Limit, for saving all of our lives! We have no words we could utter, to ever describe or come close to the appreciation of that act! It can't be spoke in words!

As to the fish question under the boat???:::: Yes we saw fish in an hour a big brown something. I am guessing, when you dump a whole live well of live bait, and 4 boxes of chum, during a capsize, I image, fish would be present soon! LOL and they were!

As 6 people got dumped into the ocean, sliding off the deck, like Titanic, life just changed! Brandon and Lynn swam over and arrived on Over The Limit first, followed by Henry, rescuing our fish box, and a gaff,(losing 1 pole at the boat) to me, hanging on to Henry's and Gregs Dad Ernie(72), as he was struggling for energy to stay afloat without his life vest on, he couldn't get it on in time, and could just lean over it, as waves challenged us a little, clinging to the flipped craft. So I did get my vest on, (Thanks Greg!) so it really helped in assisting Ernie, in holding him up and keeping him stable and talking him, he be OK, I gotcha man, were not going anywhere, But In the same TONE, I screamed, Hay, get this OLE MAN OUT OF THE WATER! (NO Offense Ernie! LOL) So we waited for Captain Jeff to come over and throw us a Rope, and he pulled us in to safety, and ended a very tense moment that started and ended with all 6 on board, in Only 4 Minutes!

Life Could have been different!

For 6 hours we waited for Boat Us to come rescue the vessel, as the first coordinates given, were off by more than 20 miles away! We then got radar pinged from another boat in between us and Boat us, radio couldn't hear, and relayed our position, they finally made it and recovered the craft. But not understanding the error in the coordinate communications, as 2 other boats did come by and reacting to this message. Hats OFF Thanks for your assistance help too! , the boat other had quads.(white) If Captain Jeff left anchor as planned before we got to him, those coordinates would have never got out, and again, life might be different! But Why did Boat Us, get it wrong, with 2 other helpers giving help, come bye?(they heard them) Coast guard relayed to Boat US those coordinates!

Its the smallest things that we cheat death by, and if everyone's efforts, didn't shine through, in a coordinating effort as they did, I might not be able to go replace the blown engine, with My Son Bryce! My boat (Water Damage), blowing an engine the day before, and the reason, I was Captaining someone else's Boat! The boat owner Randall had to leave that day for work, and let all of us Borrow his boat! It takes a special man, to entrust another man, to use his boat! I am sorry for the craft loss Randall, I wish I could have saved your lifestyle!

We never left the scene, Didn't want to leave a boat adrift, and couldn't deploy the upside down windless anchor. Captain Jeff was kind enough to end his whole day of fishing and talk to strangers for 6 hours, waiting on Boat US., and making the recovery possible So Hats off to Captain Jeff Of Over The Limit, from Illinois, his buddy and young son, made life worth it again! Also for being a good Stuart of the Sea, by Saving all of our lives! Life might have been different without you!

Captain Paul
Water Damage
Water Damage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2019, 05:56 PM   #9
Blue Marlin

I'm glad you and your crew made it to safety, Capt. Paul.
Water Damage likes this.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:47 AM   #10
Mingo

Thanks for the post. I know a lot of people heard the call and were wondering what happened. Especially, thanks for the information about the livewell pump causing the problem. That might save somebody else.

Prayers were answered that day
Water Damage likes this.
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in