Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Buying your own parts to have them installed.

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  JoeyWelch 
#1 · (Edited)
It's come to my attention, that this needs to be brought to light.

I have no problem with you doing this......BUT.....BEFORE you buy anything and you want ME to install it.....Do not spend any Money until you talk to Me about it.
I have my finger on whats going on here and want to save you Time, Effort and Money.

I will use this 1 thing as a example.

Battery tray: What is a battery tray supposed to do?

Hold your batteries Right? BUT how well do they hold your batteries? Do the batteries still move around in the tray?

If you Have this type.....Then they do move around.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/t-h-marine-battery-holder-tray-with-strap/

The trays with the Buckle strap allow the battery to move all around within the confines of the tray.

If a boat sits in the backyard on a trailer then there is not a problem, but thats not what boats are supposed to do. Batteries sliding around is a bad thing....It's hard on the internal parts of a battery and we already know how expensive they can be. Beating them up can only shorten their life.

If you have this type.....They hold the battery solid, But present a different set of problems.

Batteries are stuck in all kinds of places as a after through and thus those end threadall pieces stop the battery from being pulled out of the tray from the end.

That May be the only direction that the battery can be removed and installing these just makes for more work and a PITA.

I use these Attwood units.....They are all plastic, so no corrosion.

Yes you do NOT want to over torque the wing bolts, as they can break. One thing is a dab of silicone grease on the threads and they work Much easier.
The Wingbolts are undone and removed out of the way, so the battery can be slid in any direction or picked straight up for removal. [Picking one straight up out of a boat when it's in it's space is VERY unusual. Just the nature of boats]

I always drill some holes in the corners of the trays before they are installed, so they don't hold water if your in there cleaning.

I have had one of the wingbolts break on me.....It was brand new and the molding of it was defective....It had a void in the middle by where the T was.

This is what I use.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/attwood-marine-battery-tray-with-adjustable-hold-downs-35187.html

The point of this...is so your not buying things that are inferior and you just don't know.

Part of my job is to educate you. :)

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.