Braid options - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Old 05-12-2015, 12:45 AM   #1
White Marlin

Default Braid options

I'm looking to possibly respool my 6/0 with heavier braid. I just upgraded the drag and can no far surpass the line that is currently on it. Right now it has 600 yards of Suffix 85lb braid that is spliced at the 300 yard mark. I know. Not good.

I was looking for something in the 120-150lb class. I see that there are several companies out there now that I am unfamiliar with. I have powerpro on about 90% of my rods and Suffix on this one. Do any of you guys have any experience with KastKing, EPoseidon, of any of the other off brands. Is all of this stuff rolled out of the same factory with different stickers on the box, of are these off brands some chinese crap? I ask because they are significantly cheaper than the PP.

PS, I'm not on the coast, so I cant go into a tackle store and get it done from a large master spool. I'm gonna have to order it.
NoMoSurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2015, 12:51 AM   #2
Squid technician
Grand Slam

What is the upgraded drag rated to? If the line rates at 80lbs, chances are it will break at far beyond the rated strength. For example, I've done a lot of knot tests in the shop and have been able to produce break strengths of nearly twice the rated tensile strength of some braids. If your reel has a drag capability of say 50lbs (I don't see it likely even with upgraded washers) I'd still say 80lb braid is fine but if you want to go up, I'd only move a size or two with 100-130 being fine and not getting too thick and suffering higher drag in the water and less capacity.
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2015, 01:06 AM   #3
White Marlin

Drag is rated at 45+

I have 600 yards of 85 now and the spool is only about half full.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2015, 02:42 AM   #4
White Marlin

Like Chris said I'd go no heavier than 100 lb. You'll be hard pressed to find anything that's gonna part that 80 lb that you could land on that setup anyway.IMO

Edit: Didn't realize you were shark fishing with it. Figured you were bottom fishing. Shark fishing isn't my area of expertise.

www.litethenitecharters.com

Last edited by Five Prongs Of Fury; 05-12-2015 at 03:55 AM.
Five Prongs Of Fury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2015, 03:39 AM   #5
I'd Love to Catch a
White Marlin

You probably have Sufix 832 in the 80 lb., because they have never offered it in 85. Just saying!

I've tried about a half a dozen of the off brands from eBay. Never had any issues with any of them as far as breaking strength & abrasion resistance go. The only "problem" is that they use cheap dyes that fade quickly & that they're thicker than stated, but if you wanna save a few (actually a lot) of bucks, then they are definitely worth trying.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:22 PM   #6
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaFish View Post
You probably have Sufix 832 in the 80 lb., because they have never offered it in 85. Just saying!
You are correct. I just went and looked at the packaging. It is 80lb. I spooled it two years ago, so I was a little rusty on what it was.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:18 PM   #7
Grouper

I'm using KastKing this year. So far it's been great. Like someone else said though, it's a little bit thicker and fades quick. Neither of which matter to me, so I'll keep using it. Hard to beat $45 for 1000+ yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blake R. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2015, 03:58 PM   #8
Mingo

To answer one of your questions if the label has spectra on it, it all rolls out of the same honeywell factory. If it has Dyneema on it, it all rolls out of the japanese factory. The raw material is sent to The western Company for braiding.
Scout800 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in