Boating death - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Old 05-20-2010, 03:36 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default Boating death

A 67 year old man from Adairsville, Ga in a bass boat on Lake Weiss apparently hit a floating log on May 18th. The impact threw him out of his boat. When the marine police inspected his boat, the life jackets were inside the storage compartment and the Kill switch was not used. They were still dragging the lake where the accident occurred last night.

I have been guilty of doing the same thing in the past, but I have been more diligent lately. This is a sad wake up call for a lot of us.

Our lake has lots of "floaters" and underwater stumps. If you ever fish here you need to go with someone who knows the lake until you learn your way around.

My prayers are with his family!
Buckyt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2010, 04:10 PM   #2
Sailfish

Default RE: Boating death

YEP!!!! I am guilty too...

One of the scariest things i have seen in the water was a full palm tree trunk that had been "spiked" into the bottom of the St.Johns river. I am guessing a north bound fuel barge/tug had hit it and shoved an end into the mud bottom... it looked pretty innocent with just a little bit at the surface. It would submerge just a few inches for a minute or more at a time as it bobbed... Had a boat hit it at speed it would have been a bad bump at minimum or could have ejected passengers or at worst, could have pierced a hull possibly impacting the passengers.

I took my dock line and tied to it and with much work of my 50hp Merc, finally got it dislodged and towed it into an oxbow and beached where it could soak water to sink...

Another scary sight was a shipping container in the gulf stream... it was bobbing with the door end down so it would be a long time before it sank... it would go under about 6-10 feet each time it bobbed... We caught a crap load of fish off it... it had been at sea a good while with growth clinging to it.

Brent
hogdogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2010, 11:40 PM   #3
Sailfish

Thats a fear thats always on my mind with all the floods from the rivers and the trees that are now in around 3-4 ft of water in our bays. Its very bad for the gemtleman that it happened too. Our prayers go out for him and all his family!

God Bless

Chris
Shiznik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2010, 02:21 AM   #4
Grouper

Prayers go out to his friends and family. I've started fishing by myself quite a bit and purchased one the self inflatable life vest. Its a lot more comfortable and coolerto wearwhile fishing than thefull jacket. Bass Pro will have one sale from time to time. I'm training myself to remember it.
Jighead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2010, 03:55 PM   #5
Sailfish

Send a message via AIM to MGuns

A lot of us don't take the time or want the inconvenience of usingthe kill switch or putting on the life jacket but it only takes once and it could begame over. I'm as guilty as anyone. Prayers sent.:angel
MGuns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in