Boat Trailer Winch Advice/Help - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Like Tree20Likes

Old 05-20-2019, 10:08 PM   #1
Grouper

Default Boat Trailer Winch Advice/Help

Hello, I'm running into an issue with getting my boat to touch the bow stop. The winch and boat is less than year old. Whats happening is when I winch the boat up to the bow stop in water it touches, I tighten it until the handle slips and no more movement.

I go to pull the boat out of the water and the boat pulls back two 2-3 inches off bow stop. I try a couple more times and still it slips back when pulling out of water. My buddy says that the bow lifts up when pulling out of water. The end of the hull/stern hangs off bunk about an inch. The dealer did have to change out the original bow stop with one that goes on each side of hull due to the through bow anchor and pulpit design.

I tried launching at Mahogany and navy point boat ramps (different steep angles) with same thing.

I have a Clearwater 2508 which is a 5200 lb boat dry with twin 150 hondas mounted on a painted stainless steel platform. The winch is a 2600 lb Fulton 2605.

1) Do I need a bigger winch?

2) Do I just need to move the bow stop further up so the boat pull more up on the trailer?

3) Or something else?
Attached Thumbnails
Boat Trailer Winch Advice/Help-main-jpg   Boat Trailer Winch Advice/Help-img_20190519_115801369-jpg   Boat Trailer Winch Advice/Help-img_20190519_115751663_hdr-jpg  
Bustedknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2019, 10:26 PM   #2
Grand Slam

I can understand whats happening here. with that design if winch abd bow stop, it may be something you will have to live with. I have the other type, and its tight, tight, tight. dosent rock back at all.
Realtor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2019, 02:24 AM   #3
Blue Marlin

I would change out to this kind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
floater1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 08:00 AM   #4
Blue Marlin

Try not backing in the water so far, so the stern is not floating when you drive out.
DLo, John B., Try'n Hard and 1 others like this.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:03 AM   #5
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by floater1 View Post
I would change out to this kind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Something like this would be much better. Also if the bow is rising as the boat comes out of the water you probably have the trailer too deep.
Yellow River Cat likes this.
KPTN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2019, 08:18 AM   #6
Blue Marlin

I haven't seen a new trailer setup yet that could not benefit from some fine tuning on the trailer.
The boat is sitting correctly on the trailer.....From the pix.....Transom even with the rear of the bunk.

The winch stand needs to be changed. Not the winch......But the winch strap needs to be changed to one of the Yellow straps...Those Gray straps are for puddle jumpers. Your boat appears to be 21-22ftr?

A combination of adjustments and some hands on instruction of loading and unloading may be Very beneficial here.
Chipnalong likes this.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:41 AM   #7
Grouper

I actually had to change out from the above bow stop as when backing the boat out, the anchor would get caught on the bow stop due to design of the bow pulpit roller.

I have been burring the trailer in the water and winching the boat onto trailer. I have been questioning myself on this myself so I will def give that a shot. For the record, it has been touching before when I got it from the dealer with the new bow stop. And I was only able to get this to happen once since (current pic)

X-shark I totally agree I need some hands on help, I don't mind paying for some advice. I have a 25ft boat but LOA is 27ft ish due to the platform on the back. I feel like this gray strap is going to pop at any second with the amount of tension on that thing.

Here's another shot of the anchor setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Boat Trailer Winch Advice/Help-img_20190519_115256680_hdr-jpg  

Last edited by Bustedknuckle; 05-21-2019 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:28 AM   #8
Grand Slam

advice is free on the PFF lol

Drive your boat onto the trailer. Heck, call me, if I don't have anything to do, I can meet you at a ramp and show you how to drive on the trailer. That mat be the issue, your trailer is to deep in the water and when you pull out, the boat follows the strap until the bunks make contact...… what ramp do you use?
DLo and KPTN like this.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:03 AM   #9
Grouper

The reason why I love this forum. Normally navy point and mahogany mill. But I would be on your time you tell me which is easier for ya. You at least need a free ride out of the deal. Haha. I plan to hit the water this weekend. I bought a new yellow strap and I'll have it installed before the weekend.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:16 AM   #10
Grand Slam

I'll be down that way tomorrow afternoon for a closing at 3, I could meet you at either ramp about 1. that's plenty of time..... Nothing in return, I'm just happy to assist. Nice looking boat BTW.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in