Boat Prep Steps for Hurricane READ PLEASE - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Old 08-24-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
Grouper

Default Boat Prep Steps for Hurricane READ PLEASE

I stated this thread so folks can get a quick refresher on steps to take to protect their boat in the event a Hurricane comes our way. Put it on the General forum to get widespread look. Feel free to add to it if you have some great tips to pass along.

Here they are....

Insurance coverage before Hurrican Season or at very minimum before a tropical systems start making their way accross Atlantic.

Trailer boats are the easiest. Get the boat on the trailer and move to higher ground. Where you put boat is also important. Do not place under trees or next to bushes....falling branches crush and bushes scraping side of boat. Parking next to a building/house may sound like a good idea, but if the shingles or siding starts to come off they can do real damage to boat, especially the gel coat and windshield. If you can put it out in the open away from vegitation and structures...that is best.

Remove canvas tops, covers, cushions, carpets, VHF antennas, outriggers, etc....anything that can flap around in high wind.

Make sure all debris is out of boat that can plug up drains ie....leaves, acorns, lures, bottle tops, etc. Clean out all drains. REMOVE ALL DRAIN PLUGS.

Charge batteries. Make sure bildge pump (s) and switches are fully functional. Test run them with a hose in boat for at least 5 min continousy to make sure the pump does not burn up and will automatically shut off. This is in case drains get plugged up with debris from storm or amount of rain surpasses their capability to drain boat.

Top of fuel tank...this is a good source of gasoline for your car/truck/generator when the stations are closed.

Secure boat to trailer with ratchet straps. Trailer adds another 800+ pounds of ballast wt. Will help with high winds but if a tornado hits it...all bets are off.

Cover windscreen panels with plywood on both sides or remove it completly. Most are sectional and can be stored inside cabin or fit in car pu bed for removal to storage.

Take lots of pictures of boat...for insurance before condition.

Last edited by Patriot; 08-24-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
Praedator
Grand Slam

If you live near the water (within 1 mile) check your insurance policy. Many of them have stipulations that you must move your boat a certain distance away from the coast in order for them to cover any damage. Most people are not aware of this.
Telum Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
*^* JaiBo *^*
Grand Slam

Great reminder Tom.....
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #4
Grouper

great thread! thought i had everything in check
85okhai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
Snapper

Thanks Tom,
One question though, my cover fits real tight on my bass boat with straps. Do you still think I should take it off?

Also, instead of putting my truck in the garage, should I hook it up to the boat instead?

Last edited by Trucker; 08-24-2012 at 04:24 PM. Reason: add on
Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #6
Blue Marlin

check out this thread too:

https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com...-boats-129276/
johnsonbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #7
Praedator
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker View Post
Thanks Tom,
One question though, my cover fits real tight on my bass boat with straps. Do you still think I should take it off?

Also, instead of putting my truck in the garage, should I hook it up to the boat instead?
Would you put your cover on and drive 80+ mph down the interstate. If you answer no to that or have not done so, I would take it off. Most covers state that they are trailerable. Even the cheap walmart ones. But if you have ever put on one of those covers and even driven 30 mph down the road, you quickly realize how "trailerable" they are. They instantly start flapping and tearing etc...

Unless it's a jon boat or something less than 15'-16' it should be fine without your truck hooked up to it. It would take something stronger than a Cat 3 hurricane or a tornado to flip the boat. Just strap it to the trailer via transome straps etc... and it will be fine.
Telum Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #8
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker View Post
Thanks Tom,

If in doubt, remove the cover. If you ever seen video of a house roof coming off.....it starts with a small flap working loose or up and then the wind has it....wooosh and off it goes.

Hooking boat up to truck.....your call. I tend to keep them away from each other to minimize collateral damage.

As for truck vs boat in garage.....
Are they insured?
Which one is more valuable?
Which one can you do with out?

If you put the boat in the garage, check with your home and boat insurance companies to make sure you are not voiding your policy. At minimum, disconnect batteries and defuel. If your house goes underwater, boat will destoy garage.

Repairing/repainting a car is alot less expensive than repairing a boat.
Insurance companies are better equipped to do claim adjustments on vehicles and not boats.

Your call. Good luck

Last edited by Patriot; 08-24-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 05:28 PM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

In past hurricanes I used 4 elliptical ground anchors and strapped it down. Worked good. I think you can get 4, 30 inch anchors for about $20.00.
mikef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 06:52 PM   #10
Snapper

Thanks Patriot and Telum Pisces for your advise. I didn't have a boat during Ivan so this will be a new one for me.
Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in