Bait management on your boat? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Like Tree8Likes

Old 05-03-2015, 10:40 AM   #1
Grouper

Default Bait management on your boat?

We were out yesterday with 5 people on the boat and squid going everywhere. Had me thinking how do you guys manage bait while on the water? I have a small cooler that I keep it in (except live bait) and cut it in the top of the cooler. Started looking at the bait tables last night. What's your method? Do you cut everything before you go?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2015, 11:01 AM   #2
Blue Marlin

It will be interesting to read how others do it, but we usually cut it as needed, especially when cutting bonito. Seems like the fresher and bloodier the better.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:16 AM   #3
Grand Slam

I use a table in a rod holder. I keep it titled so the juice and blood drip overboard and have a brush ready to clean it off before it dries. I only cut bait when needed.
Realtor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2015, 11:41 AM   #4
Jaded Old Phart
Blue Marlin

My solution:
Got a cheap cutting board, welded up some legs, recessed the mounting screw heads.

In place, anything stray falls in the valley, washdown gunk the same. Never used the rod holders back there anyway, don't feel like navigating thru a forest of rods while fighting a fish. Had enough of that from the pier days.

Snagged Line likes this.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:41 AM   #5
White Marlin

We used to use a pair of bait tables that go in the rods holders. Almost exactly like the ones above, except they were single legged and fit in the side rod holders on out boats. But they were always in the way on our 17ft boats. Then we moved to one table. Still in the way. They werent so bad on my CC before I sold it, but they are a pain on my buddy's DC. When I finish building my new CC, I will probably build another table. But this time it's a good bit bigger boat. haha

Now my buddy and I are usually in the back of the boat and use get one squid at a time out of the cooler. My wife and his wife are usually at the front. My wife came up witht he great idea of using a 6X9 cheap tupperware container. We throw 2-3 squid in there and pass it up front. They cut the squid in the container and now there is no passing dripping squid around the boat. When the container gets too cut up and stinky, we toss it and buy another. They are $2-3 at Walmart with a lid. The lid helps keep the sun from drying it out. Works for shrimp and Ruby reds too. Every so often she just pours the juice over the side for a little chum action. haha

This started from our catfishing trips. She would mix up her special recipe chicken liver with spices and we would each get a tupperware full to keep at our end of the boat.
MarlinAzul likes this.

Last edited by NoMoSurf; 05-03-2015 at 11:45 AM.
NoMoSurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2015, 03:52 PM   #6
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanaka View Post
My solution:
Got a cheap cutting board, welded up some legs, recessed the mounting screw heads.

In place, anything stray falls in the valley, washdown gunk the same. Never used the rod holders back there anyway, don't feel like navigating thru a forest of rods while fighting a fish. Had enough of that from the pier days.

I like that bait station. Where do those rod holders drain to? I'd love to put some of those in but that area drains to the bilge in my boat.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:38 PM   #7
White Marlin

Nothing drains down the rod holders, it drains off the back of the board into the motor splashwell. Mine was home-made like his, but mine was this style. It drains off the side of the boat.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-12-x-20-...item4d315d3a30
Old 05-03-2015, 04:50 PM   #8
Grand Slam

The rod holder cups do drain into the bilge. But they have covers when not in use. They usually blow off or get lost.
Old 05-03-2015, 05:02 PM   #9
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcast View Post
The rod holder cups do drain into the bilge. But they have covers when not in use. They usually blow off or get lost.
Yes, some rod holders do drain into the bilge. But the bait board does not drain into the rod holders, and therefor not into the bilge.
Old 05-03-2015, 05:35 PM   #10
Jaded Old Phart
Blue Marlin

The rod holders go straight into the bilge. The legs are 1 1/2" so they fit in there nicely. If you're worried about fish parts going into the bilge, you could always put on a "shield" on each leg, think of a big plastic washer.
I Googled your boat and noticed that yours has a flip up rear seat. I imagine once you figure out the leg placement, you could pop holes in there for the rod holders and put covers in em when not in use as suggested above.

As a side note, I would have loved to have the board higher, level with the hatches but didn't have enough material for the legs.

Oh, and make a knife holder to put in that area while your at it. Working on mine.

Last edited by kanaka; 05-03-2015 at 05:46 PM.
kanaka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in