Bad Experience - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Like Tree6Likes

Old 05-12-2015, 11:11 AM   #1
Mingo

Default Bad Experience

Last year I was able to go on a charter boat with my dad brother and I. It was absolutely terrible. The "captain" seemed clueless to me. He got to the dock later than what he said. It gets even better! He wasn't rigged yet either. We had to stop for gas too! This is where it gets interesting, he has NO BAIT. He though he could get a $10 shot of cigar minnows and call it a day. Well, the bait guy was out. He couldn't find any more live bait. We searched for over an hour until I finally saw some fish popping. The guy couldn't even throw a cast net right. I had to do it for him. Is this the norm? For the amount of money I paid and the amount of fish we caught was not good. We might have fished for an hour and a half for a 6 hour trip! This guy has kinda deterred me from getting on another charter boat. I've never seen someone so unorganized and clueless in my life. He even had the nerve to ask for a tip and the end!
Addicted2Fishing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2015, 11:17 AM   #2
SaltWaterDave
Sailfish

You can get a better experience than that just splitting gas and expenses with people on here!! I don't know about the norm, seems like his career will be short lived if it isn't over yet. I do know a charter captain or two and I can see where some people are just inept. They have enough money to buy a boat (or not...) and think they can throw together a business with the little bit of experience that they have and they come out in the end looking like a complete douche...

On the other hand I am sure that there are plenty of successful charter operators that actually know what they are doing. Word of mouth goes a long way!!
badonskybuccaneers likes this.
naclh2oDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2015, 11:35 AM   #3
C-Hawk 245 Pilot House
Blue Marlin

I always have at least some bait in the cooler before I leave the dock, usually squid. If the bait guy has some wigglers, it's a slam dunk for the day's fishing. If not, we catch some rubys or white snapper for our bait.
Sea-r-cy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2015, 11:39 AM   #4
White Marlin

He asked for a tip? Wow!
Old 05-12-2015, 11:41 AM   #5
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted2Fishing View Post
Last year I was able to go on a charter boat with my dad brother and I. It was absolutely terrible. The "captain" seemed clueless to me. He got to the dock later than what he said. It gets even better! He wasn't rigged yet either. We had to stop for gas too! This is where it gets interesting, he has NO BAIT. He though he could get a $10 shot of cigar minnows and call it a day. Well, the bait guy was out. He couldn't find any more live bait. We searched for over an hour until I finally saw some fish popping. The guy couldn't even throw a cast net right. I had to do it for him. Is this the norm? For the amount of money I paid and the amount of fish we caught was not good. We might have fished for an hour and a half for a 6 hour trip! This guy has kinda deterred me from getting on another charter boat. I've never seen someone so unorganized and clueless in my life. He even had the nerve to ask for a tip and the end!
His tip should have been, "Don't bet on the 9 dog". You could have had more adventure pulling up a lawn chair at the boat ramp with a cooler in tow.
I honestly think that this was just a bad apple in the bunch. I know a lot of Charter Captains all over the Gulf and there are a lot of good people out there. I would do a bunch of research before booking your next trip (reviews / recommendations), then ask a LOT of questions before committing.
Boatjob1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2015, 11:48 AM   #6
ROLL TIDE ROLL
Grand Slam

Sounds like a Craigslist ad charter.
Splittine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2015, 11:51 AM   #7
Grand Slam

I've got a tip for you - plant your corn early this year.
You fished less than a third of the allotted hours and you still paid him?
welldoya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2015, 11:55 AM   #8
White Marlin

I've only had one somewhat bad experience on a charter boat and it can be frustrating but it wasn't the captains fault. Now if I was in your position than I would not be happy And dang sure wouldn't tip. always do your research before hand.

My buddies cousin owns a couple charter boats and he took us out for the price of gas and bait For a quick limit of snapper. He could not find bait at all and we spent a lot of time trying to find schools. We ended up getting bait from another boat but he did everything he could to get us on the fish and they were being stubborn. he was a great captain and a 2 hour trip turned into 6 hours. Needless to say he got a nice tip especially since he wasn't charging us.
southern yakker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2015, 12:39 PM   #9
Grand Slam

Fished on a tourist boat out of Destin one time that was pretty bad. We did catch some fish though.

Most other charters have been great! Not all trips loaded the boat, and some of the captains were surly as hell. But we had a great time and the deckhands got the tips.
hjorgan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2015, 12:46 PM   #10
Sailfish

I'm not sure who you went with, but most of the captains in Pensacola are not as you described. We have a pretty solid fleet of guides here. Sounds like you booked someone that's not a full timer and doesn't run many trips. Maybe he wasn't a captain at all. It happens.
Brant Peacher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in