Bad Business! - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Old 03-25-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
Mingo

Default Bad Business!

We are getting ready for a trip to the Keys, and along with all the other things we need to do, the most important was fix the boat trailer, as the trailer brakes where locking up when the truck was in reverse, so took it to Robs (on W St.) for service, and to change out the hubs, bearings, etc.... after a month of getting the run around, my buddy picks up the trailer and goeshome. I go over to help him service the engines, and after, we head to the ramp to run the boat. Well as we start out the driveway, I notice the brakes actuator on the tongue is moving way to freely, and the brakes aren't doing anything. So we check the master cylinder, surprise NO FLUID, remember this trailer received new hubs, bearings, rotors, pads and calipers, at a cost of $1000,as he was told the calipers were frozen and everything needed to be replaced. Also noted, was that the buddy bearings, had no grease in them, the were loose in the hubs. So he calls the shop, and he is told that, " We put fluid in there, are you sure there is no leaks?", WTF, this should have been checked prior to giving the trailer back along with the other things. Trying to support the local guys is going to be extremely hard, if this is the kind of half ass work that you pay for. I have used Rob's for many years but I have nothing good to say about this experience. Oh, one more thing, after taking the trailer back to get their half ass job completed. Thesolenoid ends up being the cause of the problems to begin with, as the fusekeeps blowing whenshifting inreverse,so now he has to pay for this along with everything else. Come on we can do better, or don't ask why our local shops are closing. Even an igmo can figure that out.

Ok, I have vented, lets hear what the masses have to say! Peace.
ross68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
Sailfish

Default RE: Bad Business!

If it makes you feel any better, I just worked on my dads basstracker boat on Tuesday. It was worked on by a place in Andalusia, and they supposedly changed the water pump gear, changed the foot oil, and reworked the carbs on his 50 hp Mercury, LAST YEAR.

The water pump gear was so dry rotted that all the teeth were missing (no way it got changed in the last 3 years), the foot oil looked like motor oil from a diesel motor, it was so black, and the nuts that hold the carbs on the motor were all boogered and rounded off.

I would say that they did work on the carbs, as evidenced by the rounded off nuts, but the rest of that stuff, they took payment for it and never did the work.

Live and learn, live and learn.....
angus_cow_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 12:11 PM   #3
Cigar Minnow

In my experiences, you can find ANYONE who can work on something, its finding someone who can truly FIX something that has become a challenge! I have taken the stance that in the long run it is cheaper to take things to a certified shop and have it done right the first time.
singled-out is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2010, 12:17 PM   #4
Sailfish

ok, my two cents:

i have afishing truck (94 ford ranger) which needed brake fluid so i topped it off and continued driving. when i couldn't stop at a stop sign a few days later, i again filled up the reservoir and asked my wife to take it to randy's repair (up here in ala.). i told her specifically to tell him that it had a brake fluid "leak". when i went to pick up the truck, he said there wasno leak, he just did a brake job on it ($200). now i know nothing about trucks but this was insane. i drove the truck for a few days and when i almost ran into the back of another car at a red light, i, too, turned red. i went back to randy's with a few choice words (all four letters) and told him i would come back tomorrow. he found the leak. where the lines run above the fuel tank. needless to say nothing was mentioned about paying for finding the leak. i haven't taken it back since and advise others about him also.

jack2
jack2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 12:41 PM   #5
Mingo

Rob's Trailer is a certified shop, that specializes in trailer work, the fact is most of the experienced staff has either quit or been laid off, leaving whats there now! When they worked out of the shop on Wright St. the service was excellent. Don't know if this job was to technical for the hitch mounters at the current shop, but this is no way to conduct business. Everytime you stop by to check on the status, the guys are sitting around shooting the breeze.
ross68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 01:00 PM   #6
White Marlin

I learned a long time ago that your best bet is to find a locally owned family business. What I mean by family business is a business that ties their family's last name to the business and will do good work or know that it will reflect on their family name.

Since 1995 I have been taking my auto repair business to Holmes Auto in Fort Walton Beach. I learned the hard way taking my repairs to chain stores and local businesses that just pop up over night it seems. Holmes has always been honest with me about the repairs and when they repair something I don't have to go back to have it fixed again, it stays fixed. If you're in the Fort Walton Beach area check out Holmes Auto Repair, I don't think you'll regret it.

Now I just wish I could find a certified Suzuki Mechanic in town that doesn't charge an arm and a leg for routine work.
69Viking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 01:23 PM   #7
Sailfish

Quote:
69Viking (3/25/2010)I learned a long time ago that your best bet is to find a locally owned family business. What I mean by family business is a business that ties their family's last name to the business and will do good work or know that it will reflect on their family name.

Since 1995 I have been taking my auto repair business to Holmes Auto in Fort Walton Beach. I learned the hard way taking my repairs to chain stores and local businesses that just pop up over night it seems. Holmes has always been honest with me about the repairs and when they repair something I don't have to go back to have it fixed again, it stays fixed. If you're in the Fort Walton Beach area check out Holmes Auto Repair, I don't think you'll regret it.

Now I just wish I could find a certified Suzuki Mechanic in town that doesn't charge an arm and a leg for routine work.

We use Holmes as well for all our vehicles. Mikes a great guy. They are always fast and honest!
tyler0421 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in