arachniphobia in alabama... - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Old 10-15-2009, 06:12 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default arachniphobia in alabama...

I have been steadily working towards getting all the food plots bush hogged and planted in alabama, and everytime I went up there, these spiders had built a webbed fortress across every road, treetop, and opening. Pretty to look at until you drive through a few of them. I had to get a stick and wave it in front of me for alot of it just to knock down the webs as I drove into them.

I was glad to be on a different tractor with a top mounted muffler last tuesday. It cut through those webs like a knife in hot butter. I have seen alot of these spiders growing up, but this year was a bumper crop. Never seen this many! It is all fun and games until you get one on your neck, then its <U>"wreck the tractor getting the spider off me" </U>time....

angus_cow_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2009, 06:17 PM   #2
Grand Slam

Default RE: arachniphobia in alabama...

I had one in back yard for a while. We watched all the bugs it ate. Then watched the off spring, then they all disappeared.
BananaTom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2009, 06:19 PM   #3
Sailfish

I think they call these banana spiders. I remember running into these webs near my chicken coops when I was a kid. Scared the shit out of me, probably why I still have arachnaphobia as an adult
choppedliver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2009, 06:39 PM   #4
Sailfish

If you get one of those big ole webs wrapped around your head, you feel like that dude from the ALIENS movie with Sigorney Weaver, when he had that thing wrap itself around his head and implant that alien embryo in his chest.........:takephoto

I probably looked like a mental patient waving a stick around in front of the tractor hood, but it was better than being overcome by spiderweb......:boo
angus_cow_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2009, 06:44 PM   #5
Sailfish

Quote:

I probably looked like a mental patient waving a stick around in front of the tractor hood, but it was better than being overcome by spiderweb......

You look like a mental patient anyway so whats the difference, oh the stick waving ... got it :moon
choppedliver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2009, 06:45 PM   #6
Mingo

We've had a few of these guys living in our neighbors Grapefruit tree, they make impressive webs in a matter of a few hours..I did a little

searching on em' & I believe they are referred to as Golden Silk Orb Weavers, but as posted before we've always called em banana spiders.

Their web are like cotton & I too have high stepped & screamed like a child when one of these suckers gets on your neck. We now get a kick

throwing live bugs into his web at night to feed him, amazing critters, but I like to keep em where I can see em!
jrbagadoughnuts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2009, 07:04 PM   #7
Trigger

Many years ago I was working in SC doing forestry work. We were clear cutting an area that was to be replanted with pines. On one of the many trees I was cutting I felt something moving across my forehead which I thought was all the wood chips from the chainsaw. As I continued cutting I see this big black leg reach out across my eye and right behind it was it's body. One of the biggest bananna spiders I have ever seen was walking across my face! I have no idea how I let go of that chain saw and started swatting at that spider without cutting myself. I am not necessarily afraid of spiders, but I do draw the line at letting one walk on my face while I operate a chainsaw.

Jeff
jeff456 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2009, 07:23 PM   #8
Mingo

These things are all over the world, when I would walk to work when I was stationed in Japan they use to hang out all over base. I didn't know what they where at first until I looked them up on the web.
FY05CPO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2009, 07:57 PM   #9
Grouper

our property is lined with pine trees. we had thousands of these before ivan. they vanished for 3 years. in the last two years they have made a come back. so have the dove, thank godness. that storm changed a lot of stuff.
gcrbama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2009, 10:22 PM   #10
Jim T's sworn enemy!
Sailfish

There sometimes better than dogs when thieves come onto your property. Ah,the sweet sounds of screaming when they get caught in their web! :blownaway
bonita dan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in