Anyone know who runs The Pheonix out of Destin? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Old 06-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
Blue Marlin

Default Anyone know who runs The Pheonix out of Destin?

This guy almost killed me and a client yesterday. We were heading in to the beach from the south to north and he was heading east. We saw him coming from a long way.

He got closer and closer, I could see the Captain up in the fly bridge and figured he saw us. I was expecting him to change course as powered vessels are required to do for non power vessels but he just kept coming. So, we changed course, just in time too! He passed with in 50 yards and I could see him in the fly bridge standing backwards talking to people down on the deck! He never saw us!! WTF?!

He sent a massive wake our way and if we hadnt of changed course to avoid a collision it could have been MUCH worse.

Now Im not one to complain about much on the water but that was pure negligence and could have ended up in disaster! Keep your eyes on the water ESPECIALLY if youre going to be only a half mile from the beach!! Oh and kayakers, like motorcyclists, keep your heads on a swivel and dont anticipate the other "driver" seeing you!

On a side note, he had some high speed lures out, he must of heard about the kayak wahoo being caught lately!

850-810-2548

http://www.facebook.com/bitebackcharters/

www.bitebackfishingcharters.com
JD7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #2
Geaux Tigers!
Grouper

Probably drives the same way too. Glad y'all are ok.
startzc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
Young Snappa
Trigger

Cpt. Scott Robinson I think.... good thing you were paying attention. Hard to see kayaks especially in the surf... things are so low on the water.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #4
Snapper

.....what do I know
BlueH20Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 01:33 PM   #5
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayfisher View Post
Cpt. Scott Robinson I think.... good thing you were paying attention. Hard to see kayaks especially in the surf... things are so low on the water.
I damn near ran over one at night with no lights. scared the shit out of me and him I am sure. lol....The look twice for motorcyle thing erks me how bout look twice for everbody not just bikes or in this case yaks. Don't understand why alot of you gulf riders don't have a flag flying like on bikes, especially when a person has put his life in the hands of a charter Capt. JMO
flukedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayfisher View Post
I understand completely and that is why I watch out too. Not mad or anything and shit happens and I understand that just a few years ago we werent out there as much as we are now. More just a heads up for the guys running the beaches that close. Im sure it wasnt intentional. BUT it was scary and the closest Ive ever been to a big boat running like that!

850-810-2548

Old 06-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #7
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by flukedaddy View Post
I damn near ran over one at night with no lights. scared the shit out of me and him I am sure. lol....The look twice for motorcyle thing erks me how bout look twice for everbody not just bikes or in this case yaks. Don't understand why alot of you gulf riders don't have a flag flying like on bikes. JMO
I dont run flags. They get in the way and Ive been on boats looking for fellow yakkers while coming in to stop and say hi and let me tell you, you see the 14ft piece of plastic LONG before you see that one foot flag. Even when I fish with fellow yakkers who have flags, you dont see the flags first, you see them!

But being out there at night with no light is just stupid! I dont yak fish at night, no need to.

850-810-2548

Last edited by JD7.62; 06-28-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:38 PM   #8
Blue Marlin

Autopilot??
http://njsaltwaterfisherman.com/foru...?topic=28558.0
markw4321 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #9
Snapper

Default Glad it turned out ok

Hey JD, glad you didn't get turned into chum. That reminded me of a conversation a while back a big boat captain and I had.

He and I bumped into each other in WalMart. I was buying my flag material for increased visibility. He asked me what I was using it on and I told him the yak. He offered up one experience he had with not seeing a yak. Boats have blind spots like cars in the wheel house, and the vertical support blocked a yak from view on him. He didn't notice it until he had passed it. It scared the heck out of him to think he could have run over the guy and not even known it. A neat recommendation he made was to use an old rod for the flag. I had already made mine with PVC that breaks down with reflective tape along the sides. I like the old rod idea as I have a few and it gets it up higher.

Visibility and like you JD said, keep you head on a swivel. Maybe might be good to have a small air horn handy?

Keep er safe!

Bob
boatnbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #10
Topwater Addict
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD7.62 View Post
I dont run flags. They get in the way and Ive been on boats looking for fellow yakkers while coming in to stop and say hi and let me tell you, you see the 14ft piece of plastic LONG before you see that one foot flag. Even when I fish with fellow yakkers who have flags, you dont see the flags first, you see them!
And the congregation said Amen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in