Any LE recruiters on here? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2012, 12:09 AM   #1
Sailfish

Default Any LE recruiters on here?

I have a few questions Im trying to get asked and its like trying to pull teeth to get a recruitment officer to call you back.

Im wondering with a honorable military discharge, a AA degree in Criminology, proficient/basic in Spanish speaking, what are the chances of getting hired as opposed to a person with a BA or even over someone who is a basic police graduate?

I know Veterans points will help, but will commanders recommendations help?

Any tips, pointers or trial and error lessons some of you may have learned you wouldnt passing on will be greatly appreciated.
tips n tails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2012, 07:45 AM   #2
Freshwater Flounder
White Marlin

By "LE", I presume you mean "Law Enforcement"?

Are you shooting for city/county, State, or Federal?

Was your military experience Law Enforcement --- or related?

What are you doing now?

I'm not a recruiter, but retired & can tell you a bit about Federal LE.

An AA in Criminology is fine, but a lot of people in LE have that and more - you should look at the long term if you are considering LE as a career. Things can be very competitive and if you are looking to move up through the ranks over time you should have at least a BS nowadays ... and preferably a double-major in something of value to Investigative Divisions like Computer Science, Accounting, etc ---- or Public Administration. Some of my former managers even had JD's.

If you are still relatively young I recommend you consider getting a BA/BS first and perhaps getting a part-time LE related job while you are doing that
AndyS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2012, 11:07 AM   #3
*^* JaiBo *^*
Grand Slam

Veterans points, extra points fer any education, experience is considered but best advice is to apply apply and apply.....
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2012, 11:13 AM   #4
Super Moderator
White Marlin

Just apply. You should be fine with what you have and can expand from there. Retirement fund starts as soon as you get hired. I know many good ranking cops that don't have a degree. I also know many that do, and it makes them no better of an officer. Nothing wrong with having it but it's not everything
MikeG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2012, 02:05 PM   #5
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
By "LE", I presume you mean "Law Enforcement"?

Are you shooting for city/county, State, or Federal?

Was your military experience Law Enforcement --- or related?

What are you doing now?

I'm not a recruiter, but retired & can tell you a bit about Federal LE.

An AA in Criminology is fine, but a lot of people in LE have that and more - you should look at the long term if you are considering LE as a career. Things can be very competitive and if you are looking to move up through the ranks over time you should have at least a BS nowadays ... and preferably a double-major in something of value to Investigative Divisions like Computer Science, Accounting, etc ---- or Public Administration. Some of my former managers even had JD's.

If you are still relatively young I recommend you consider getting a BA/BS first and perhaps getting a part-time LE related job while you are doing that
Im looking at all of it, state/local/city/federal it doesnt really matter even Game Warden. Perferably city/state or federal. My military experience is Law Enforcement mostly geared towards military law and the UCMJ but we can also enforce F.S.S. AA is what I have now yet Im still in college continuing my education.

Ive thought about going to the short course over at the Gulf Coast Community College (refresher) providing I pass then take the State Exam over at Tally to become certified in FL. I know Lateral is within the state but for those of you who are police officers can lateral transfer also work from state to state? Do states provide a course thats short covering that individaul states laws?

How did you like your career as a Police Officer? Im all ears on your experience in the federal level of LE.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:22 PM   #6
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneDeal2 View Post
Just apply. You should be fine with what you have and can expand from there. Retirement fund starts as soon as you get hired. I know many good ranking cops that don't have a degree. I also know many that do, and it makes them no better of an officer. Nothing wrong with having it but it's not everything
The ranks in the police force I assume are like in the military, degree = officer? or time in grade?
Old 05-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #7
Freshwater Flounder
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tips n tails View Post
The ranks in the police force I assume are like in the military, degree = officer? or time in grade?
Generally ... no.

Everybody starts out on the bottom rung with most agencies/departments. Most Chief's of Police started out as a street cop .... and most Special Agents in Charge (federal) started out as a field Agent.

Education, training, experience, and ability are what moves one up the ladder. Being able to play-well-with-others plays no small part as well.
AndyS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #8
*^* JaiBo *^*
Grand Slam

Education gives you a few extra points when you go fer promotions, but many agencies get a pool of folks fer promotion and #1 gets to select the person fer promotion.

Understand that all LEO's in Florida have to go through an Academy. State LEO go through a different Academy then county/city Leo's.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #9
Sailfish

Thanks Jason. I ll keep up the education. Or even attempt a double major
Old 05-25-2012, 10:00 PM   #10
Snapper

I'd recommend you get a BA/BS and try for a fed job.
whalerjon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in