Allen Explains Why Oil-Sucking Tankers Aren?t Being Used - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Old 06-06-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Allen Explains Why Oil-Sucking Tankers Aren?t Being Used

<p class="date">"June 06, 2010 9:07 AM</p> After a 1993 oil spill in the Persian Gulf, empty oil tankers were used to reclaim oil from the water?s surface. In my ?This Week? interview, I asked Admiral Thad Allen why those techniques are not being used in the Gulf of Mexico, and he explained:

?We?ve actually talked to those folks. There are a couple of issues with that. Number one, the tankers actually have to be modified. They are not ready to go right now. Number two, we don?t know what those modifications will do to the stability of the vessels and how they operate and number thee, the area of operations is very, very different. We?ve got anywhere from 20 to 30 vessels within one square mile over the top of that well at any particular time, managing remotely operating vehicles, doing the drilling of the relief well and so forth, so I?m not sure it?s the right application of that right now.?"

<a href="http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2010/06/allen-explains-why-oilsucking-tankers-arent-being-used.html">http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2010/06/allen-explains-why-oilsucking-tankers-arent-being-used.html</a>

<span style="font-weight: bold;">I swear this is the most do nothing SOB I have ever seen.<span style="font-weight: bold;"> Get a clue Admiral and operate not right over the Deepwater Horizon but around it. You've had 1 1/2 months a blank check from the President, and plenty of engineers that could make those modifications.<span style="font-weight: bold;"> Everyone, I mean everyone knows that the more water/oil you pump into a tanker the more stable it gets. <span style="font-weight: bold;">If it worked in the Persian Gulf then it will work here. The President ordered an all out mitigation response back on April 29th. He promised multiple and simultaneous efforts to keep the oil away from the shore. <span style="font-weight: bold;">This is the same issue with the Dutch Skimmers, this man just can't make a command decision fast enough and needs to go, now.

<a href="http://stateofthedivision.blogspot.com/2010/06/day-44-dutch-send-skimmers.html">http://stateofthedivision.blogspot.com/2010/06/day-44-dutch-send-skimmers.html</a>

"Dutch oil skimmers are on the way. The idea was suggested early on by Spill Response Group Holland (SPGH). Here's the chronology:

<blockquote style="color: rgb(0, 0, 102);">April 20 - The Deepwater Horizon blew out.

April 29 - President Obama promised an "all out response."

May 4 - Two Dutch companies offered oil skimmers, citing the critical need to collect oil while at sea. They sit on standby.

June 2 - Thad Allen says the U.S. needs skimmers most of all. Dutch skimmers are on the way.
</blockquote>
Dutch skimmers will be flown in and put on tankers.

President Obama is yet to answer the Supertanker question, posed in his press conference. BP hasn't responded to Matt Simmons concerns about the nearby source of a much larger spill.

Until relief wells are successful, this is a pumping/vacuuming operation at sea, a sopping task on land. What will the report be on Day 100?"
<span style="font-weight: bold;">
chrisnnavarre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2010, 06:43 PM   #2
Super Moderator
Blue Marlin

Default RE: Allen Explains Why Oil-Sucking Tankers Aren?t Being Used

Another article to help explain the conundrum....

<a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37533527/ns/us_news-the_new_york_times/">http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37533527/ns/us_news-the_new_york_times/</a>
Old 06-06-2010, 10:23 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

The reason you won't see the tanker solution is EPA regs.

It is against the law to "discharge" any oil from a vessel - even if the oil came from the water in the first place!

So unless the vessel can be "certified" to not return any oil when the water is pumped back overboard, it cannot be used. And that, my friends, is impossible at the scale necessary here.

Never mind that you might end up returning 1% of the oil you sucked off the water back to the water - nope, can't do that, it's against the law to "discharge" any petroleum product into the water.

Yes really.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2010, 11:07 PM   #4
Trigger

Quote:
chrisnnavarre (06/06/2010)

<span style="font-weight: bold;">I swear this is the most do nothing SOB I have ever seen.<span style="font-weight: bold;">
<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: small;">
<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: small;">I'm glad someone else noticed. But considering the Admiral's cozy relationship with Kyra<span class="Apple-style-span" style="line-height: 15px; "><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: small;">Phillips of CNN I doubt any serious mediacriticismwill ever happen.<span class="Apple-style-span" style="line-height: 15px; "><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: small;">
<span class="Apple-style-span" style="line-height: 15px; "><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: small;">
<span class="Apple-style-span" style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small; line-height: 15px; ">
reeltime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2010, 11:29 PM   #5
Super Moderator
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Genesis (06/06/2010)The reason you won't see the tanker solution is EPA regs.

It is against the law to "discharge" any oil from a vessel - even if the oil came from the water in the first place!

So unless the vessel can be "certified" to not return any oil when the water is pumped back overboard, it cannot be used. And that, my friends, is impossible at the scale necessary here.

Never mind that you might end up returning 1% of the oil you sucked off the water back to the water - nope, can't do that, it's against the law to "discharge" any petroleum product into the water.

Yes really.
So sad....ad so true.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:27 AM   #6
Trigger

A past president of Shell, a month ago, proposed this solution. He said the whole cargo (water and oil) could be pumped into storage tanks ashore and separated there without having to do it at sea, which as stated, would violate current law. I personally see NO problem with the return of an infinite percentage to the Gulf after separation as opposed to having 100% loose now.
user10068 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2010, 06:12 AM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
JohnHYoung (06/06/2010)A past president of Shell, a month ago, proposed this solution. He said the whole cargo (water and oil) could be pumped into storage tanks ashore and separated there without having to do it at sea, which as stated, would violate current law. I personally see NO problem with the return of an infinite percentage to the Gulf after separation as opposed to having 100% loose now.
The percentage of water you would suck up with something like this would be huge - probably not enough to be worth it unless you can recycle the water back off out at sea. I wouldn't be surprised if you picked up 10 gallons of water for even gallon of oil, or even more. The more you vacuum up and cycle through the more oil you get.

Separation to a rough level is easy - you just pump water from the bottom of the tank as you do it sincethe oil will float - but SOME oil will get returned. If even one drop does, you're breaking the law.

It's BS - if we had actual leaders they'd simply do it and tell the EPA to go screw.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:52 PM   #8
Blue Marlin

so what about an executive order to side step this epa law?
nextstep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2010, 04:53 PM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

You need an "Executive" who will ask forgiveness rather than permission.

You know that's not what we got, right?
Old 06-07-2010, 05:03 PM   #10
Blue Marlin

is that arrogant<span style="text-decoration: underline;"> bastard punishing the south? he has to know his approval rating down here.
nextstep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in