Alabama red snapper and trigger season - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Like Tree3Likes

Old 05-07-2015, 01:43 PM   #1
VIP of the PFF
Grand Slam

Default Alabama red snapper and trigger season

Will be open in Alabama state waters July 1-31.
THE POMPANO KING is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2015, 04:13 PM   #2
Seafox 237 twin outboards
Blue Marlin

3 miles and 25 feet of fishable water. At least they will let us try to fish for snapper
Chapman5011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2015, 05:59 PM   #3
VIP of the PFF
Grand Slam

We definitely need to push for the 9 miles to match Florida , but at least Alabama is giving us a chance. I use to have some pretty awesome #'s within the 3 mile mark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2015, 05:59 PM   #4
Trigger

I got an email today from dept of conservation stating that the state waters have been extended to 9 miles! Great news for us that fish in bama.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2015, 06:02 PM   #5
Trigger

CORRECTION!!! The following is the email copy, as before the state will not enforce past 3 miles, but federal may do so.

ama State Waters Open for Red Snapper and Triggerfish in July

The Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources’ Marine Resources Division (MRD) announced Thursday that Alabama’s waters will open for the recreational harvest of red snapper and gray triggerfish from July 1-31, 2015. Alabama state waters will also be open for red snapper harvest during the federal season June 1-10, 2015. The daily bag limit will be two red snapper per person and two gray triggerfish per person. The minimum size for red snapper will be 16 inches total length, and the minimum size for gray triggerfish will be 14-inch fork length. Federal waters remain closed to private recreational anglers for red snapper and gray triggerfish harvest during the July season.

Fishermen are reminded that they are still required to report their red snapper harvest through Snapper Check to the Marine Resources Division during this period as well as any other time red snapper are allowed to be landed in Alabama. Only one report is required per vessel trip, and anglers can provide details via a smartphone app available under “Outdoor Alabama” in the iTunes or Google Play app stores; online at outdooralabama.com; by phone at 1-844-REDSNAP (1-844-733-7627); or by paper forms available at select coastal public boat launches. Additional information can be found at http://www.outdooralabama.com/red-sn...reporting-faqs.

“The federal red snapper season this year will only be 10 days. MRD biologists have assessed the resource in our waters, and we feel that there will still be enough red snapper and triggerfish in Alabama waters to open an additional season to give our citizens the ability to catch more red snapper and triggerfish this year,” said Chris Blankenship, Director of the Marine Resources Division.

The Alabama Legislature passed a bill in 2014 to extend Alabama’s Gulf waters to 9 miles for fisheries management. During the July season, the MRD will recognize the Alabama legislative 9-mile limit for the harvest of red snapper and gray triggerfish. However, the new distance is not currently recognized by the federal government. Anglers in possession of red snapper or gray triggerfish should be aware that federal law enforcement officers or federally deputized law enforcement officers from adjacent states could issue citations outside the 3-mile limit. Therefore, anglers should understand that fishing between 3 and 9 miles in Alabama’s state waters is at their own risk.

“The state red snapper season will be open during one of the best months for family fishing in Alabama. The July season will include great family events such as the Fourth of July weekend, the Roy Martin Dauphin Island Young Anglers Tournament, and the Alabama Deep Sea Fishing Rodeo,” said Blankenship. “It is important for the people of Alabama to be able to enjoy red snapper fishing for more than 10 days a year. The July red snapper and triggerfish seasons will give people the opportunity to enjoy some great times together on the water in Alabama.”

“We will continue to work with the federal government and the other Gulf states to responsibly manage this great fishery in federal waters while also allowing proper management in Alabama waters,” said Conservation Commissioner N. Gunter Guy, Jr. “The Department of Conservation appreciates the participation of our fishermen in the Marine Resources Division Red Snapper Reporting Program. The information from this program is vital to improving the access of our citizens to the red snapper fishery.”

The Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources promotes wise stewardship, management and enjoyment of Alabama’s natural resources through four divisions: Marine Resources, State Lands, State Parks, and Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries.

Alabama DNR

STAY CONNECTED:
Visit us on Facebook Visit us on Twitter YouTube Flickr Instagram Sign up for email updates

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES:
Manage Subscriptions | Unsubscribe All | Help
This email was sent to [email protected] using GovDelivery, on behalf of: Alabama Department of Conservation & Natural Resources · 64 N. Union Street · Montgomery, AL 36130
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2015, 06:04 PM   #6
Bearded Brotula
Grand Slam

Yea, it's the same as Louisiana. We claim it, but they don't recognize it. So, you are on your own out past 3 miles.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:04 PM   #7
VIP of the PFF
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
I got an email today from dept of conservation stating that the state waters have been extended to 9 miles! Great news for us that fish in bama.
Well kinda sort of. Alabama won't write you a ticket but the coast guard might. I got the same email and it said fish at your own risk.
badonskybuccaneers likes this.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:03 PM   #8
Sailfish

Is That all you Care about Is Red Snapper !!! I,m So Damn Sick of hearing about This Not only at Work But Here On This Forum and all the Rest, It,s Like There Is NO OTHER FISH TO CATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!! Give it a Freaking Break Guys No wonder The Goverment Controls your Fishing all you Talk about Is One Damn Fish, and Yes They Do Look at all The Fishing Forums to See what People Are Catching!!! Sorry but I have Been dealing with This Crap for more Than I Care to Say!!!! I,m Tired Of It!!!!!!
Redfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2015, 09:16 PM   #9
VIP of the PFF
Grand Slam

I wouldn't have even opened up a post or thread labled Alabama red snapper season, and read it if made me go all postal and crap . Sorry we hurt your feelings . We will no longer discuss red snapper , oh crap I said it again.

Last edited by THE POMPANO KING; 05-07-2015 at 11:14 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:36 PM   #10
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPERKING View Post
I wouldn't have even opened up a post or thread labled Alabama red snapper season, and read it if made go all postal crap . Sorry we hurt your feelings . We will no longer discuss red snapper , oh crap I said it again.
Didn't hurt My Feelings at All I could Careless about That Damn Fish, Waste Of My Time, It,s Like fishing for a Fish In a Fish Bowl!! I like fishing for something That takes Some SKILL!!! Carry On!!! Didn't go all Postal Just Posted My Thought,s Just Like You!! Guess That Makes me Different than Anyone else!!
Redfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in