1st Boat for Northern Gulf - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Like Tree29Likes

Old 01-20-2019, 11:49 AM   #1
Grouper

I am in the market for my first boat. I have been fishing most of my life out of Pensacola and I am finally in a position to purchase. I live in Birmingham Alabama and would like to keep the boat in Pensacola in the the summer and Birmingham in the winter.. I drive a 2013 f150 2wd EcoBoost 3.5 platinum max tow at min 8500lbs. I'm looking for something in the 24 to 26' category center console Twin engine 35 to 40 mph cruise , hopefully getting somewhere around 2 mpg or better, offshore fuel capacity for 300 miles, mono or cat, definitely used, 60-70k budget. I am interested in getting the most opportunities to fish offshore 30-100 miles in the GOM as possible weather permitting, and of course on any of the longer trips I would be buddy boating,, as well as much further down the road of ownership. I am looking at all the big boys with 22-24 deg dead rise to cut through the NW GOM chop. Regulator, contender, sea hunt, cobia, grady's white ect... .The one boat that seems to check all boxes for me is the Renaissance prowler 246 cattamaran. The fishability, the storage, the quality, the trailerability, the supposed ride quality, speed and fuel consumption look to be a great fit. I am hoping I could receive some additional information for my knowledge is limited as well as my access to inventory. I am editing this after reading the responses to be clearer, is there another boat in the 7klbs range wet that can meet my needs as previously mentioned between 24-26 ft single outboard included for I have not ridden in any of the lighter hulled monos? Thanks

Last edited by Jgatorman; 01-20-2019 at 04:45 PM.
Jgatorman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2019, 12:28 PM   #2
Grand Slam

Look for a used boat like you want and buy it for the hull and trailer price. Then buy new power for it. I like single engines. Twins are twice the trouble and more weight. Towing service is much cheaper. Plus the new engines have safety features for most problems. You will be luckey to get 2 mpg. With a rig that size. Just my opinion I know a lot that like twin engines. I never could afford two. Good luck.
X-Shark, KPTN, bowdiddly and 2 others like this.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:44 PM   #3
Grand Slam

I get 2.3 - 2.5 MPG twin 150's.... but NOT at 35-40 MPH cruise.....
KPTN likes this.
Realtor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 01:19 PM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

26’ boat, single 300, 30mph cruise at 3.2mpg. 150 gal tank. I fish the spur 60mi out regularly. Sea tow, sat phone, epirb. If you go with a newer single engine it’s very reliable. If you are set on twins, I get it. I’d be looking at gamefish 25’s.
Jgatorman likes this.
Eastcoasted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2019, 01:51 PM   #5
teh Skiff
Grand Slam

42 Freeman
aquaholic likes this.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:33 PM   #6
lobsterguy
Grouper

Send a message via Yahoo to kiefersdad
Default Boat and Trailer

Sealark hit it on the head. When I bought my boat I bought it for the boat and the trailer. Boat of course being first and trailer second. It really is a pain when you get to the ramp and turn the key and listen to it crank and then go home without fishing that month because the shop won't fix it today. I bought a Honda and did not know it was running. Look at some new motors because they are very good nowadays. Get the biggest, widest boat you can afford with every feature you can afford and you will not be wishing instead of fishing. Take some friends and some seasoned fisherman with you and learn as much as you can while enjoying it. Best to you, Mike
Old 01-20-2019, 03:02 PM   #7
Snapper

I'm about to move to B'Ham. If you need company riding down to a fishing trip back here, just let me know haha.

When it comes to 25' CCs, its going to be hard to find the 'perfect' boat. There are payoffs for every amenity. You might gain fuel economy but you give up some ride quality. Find the balance that suits you best and buy the boat that fits that balance. From the sound of it, you've done ample research and pretty much have your mind made up on the Prowler Cat for fitting that balance.

Our boat is a 25' HydraSport Vector CC with a 300hp Suzuki. For us, ride quality mattered a little more that fuel economy and speed, so we opted for a boat with a little more deadrise and a little heavier dry-weight than most. There are regrets of course. I don't like the small number of rod holders or the layout of the livewell, but you can live with those little things.

I will say, without a diesel, trailering any 25' offshore center console back and forth 250 miles from Pensacola to B'Ham is going to a BIG pain. Not saying you can't do it, but a F-150 pulling a boat that big will complain every mile down the Interstate doing 60-65mph.
off route II and Hook like this.
"May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world." Galatians 6:14

YouTube Channel Link

Last edited by iJabo; 01-20-2019 at 03:09 PM.
iJabo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2019, 03:45 PM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

Default PM me

Send me a pm I might have just what your looking for. Capt. John
Bigc2013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2019, 03:50 PM   #9
Blue Marlin

Good luck with your search! Let me know what you choose!

No way Id trailer my boat from Birmingham with a half ton. My boat is super light for a 26' and I have a 5.7 Tundra, it tows it fine around town and down 98 but trying to get it up to 65 isnt fun. If youre going that size and plan on towing more than a few times a year, Id get a bigger truck. Then again, you could get a nice slip for the price of a new truck payment.

850-810-2548

http://www.facebook.com/bitebackcharters/

www.bitebackfishingcharters.com
JD7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2019, 04:33 PM   #10
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJabo View Post
I'm about to move to B'Ham. If you need company riding down to a fishing trip back here, just let me know haha.

When it comes to 25' CCs, its going to be hard to find the 'perfect' boat. There are payoffs for every amenity. You might gain fuel economy but you give up some ride quality. Find the balance that suits you best and buy the boat that fits that balance. From the sound of it, you've done ample research and pretty much have your mind made up on the Prowler Cat for fitting that balance.

Our boat is a 25' HydraSport Vector CC with a 300hp Suzuki. For us, ride quality mattered a little more that fuel economy and speed, so we opted for a boat with a little more deadrise and a little heavier dry-weight than most. There are regrets of course. I don't like the small number of rod holders or the layout of the livewell, but you can live with those little things.

I will say, without a diesel, trailering any 25' offshore center console back and forth 250 miles from Pensacola to B'Ham is going to a BIG pain. Not saying you can't do it, but a F-150 pulling a boat that big will complain every mile down the Interstate doing 60-65mph.
Your boat is extremely high on my list except for weight and I have admired it for years...so many positive qualities for the hull and its ride.. I only plan on twice a year and the prowler wet with trailer and twins is slightly over 7klbs hence why it is attractive. I definitely appreciate your offer and look forward to taking you up on it. I am expecting a 12 month max search window unless I can negotiate with a current seller. I also have no issue with refitting and repowering an older all composite hull.
Jgatorman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in