Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

2012 60 e tec still in shop

7K views 50 replies 23 participants last post by  20simmons sea skiff 
#1 · (Edited)
My 2012 60 e tec still in shop since july 13th, the last day me and jason cooper slayed the giant red snapper. It has been at 3 dealers for a total of about 12 weeks out of 5 months. It broke down ist trip and has limped in every trip . They finally got out to do a water test last week, duplicated problem, but no codes. I have been talking to factory also, damn, i miss my boat, and wish i had left my 2009 motor on boat which ran super. I have not been fishing since july 13th, i guess its a good time to be in shop with bad weather and heart attack. How long is too long for a new motor in shop. There is a lemon law in fla for cats and dogs, but not boat motors. If you buy a piece of shit, (new), you still have to pay for it no matter how long u dont get to use it. :no::blink::001_huh::( Vehicle Water transportation Boat Speedboat Boat trailer
What really pisses me off is when i call brp and am on hold and hear the recording of how e etec keeps me on water longer than other motors, not.I will never have another e tec on my boat after this one. My evinrude love affair of 40+years is ruined

See less See more
#5 ·
Its hard to believe its been over a month. Have they zeroed in on any problems yet? Seems that technology has bit that outboard in the butt. So many variables that can cause that, its mind boggling. When I looked at one at the dealer, I could not believe the amount of sensors and wiring under the cowling.

Charlie, let me know when its done, and I can pick you up so we can get it back to your house if you do not have someone to bring her home.

#6 ·
I saw that boat at Will's Marine recently. I remembered it because i gave them a 7 gallon bucket of ice for their fish out close to the "Brass Wreck" awhile back.

#7 ·
I hate to hear that. It is pure infurating to have to deal with the same issue over and over. Seems that some of the etecs have gremlins in their ignition systems as you are not the first person I have heard about that has constant issues with etecs. Hopefully they will resolve this to your satisfaction.

#12 ·
I don't think it's an E-Tec thing because all brands have their problems, the guy who just said his Yamaha was in for a month. Your the first one I'v heard of that had a problem with an E-tec, the other guys I know who have them have never had a problem. I think your like me sometimes, just the unlucky SOB that got the bad one. I hope you get it fixed and your satisfied. Your more patient than I am though. I would of done made an ass out myself long time ago to someone.

#13 ·
trucker

you are the only person i have heard say anything positive about an Etec. I cant count the number of times I have heard people who own then cuss them and have personally helped two people out who had messed up etecs this year. My favorite was the guy in panama city who got towed back to the launch as we were leaving and offered to give his blowen engine to anyone who would take it off his boat it was the second blown Etec on his boat in less than two months. I dont trust them they are nothing more than a evinrude ficht with a new paint job and we all no they were made of horse crap.

#18 ·
E-tec

you are the only person i have heard say anything positive about an Etec. I cant count the number of times I have heard people who own then cuss them and have personally helped two people out who had messed up etecs this year. My favorite was the guy in panama city who got towed back to the launch as we were leaving and offered to give his blowen engine to anyone who would take it off his boat it was the second blown Etec on his boat in less than two months. I dont trust them they are nothing more than a evinrude ficht with a new paint job and we all no they were made of horse crap.
I know there are E-tec's belonging to members on the PFF that will talk positive also or you can go under search and read positive remarks about them. As far as the FICHT motor, I bought a 2003 90 hp FICHT from Wills Marine in April with 116 hrs on it. That is the best motor I have ever had. No problems whatsoever. I did my home work before I bought it and if you research it yourself you will find out the rest of the story as Paul Harvey would say. Like I said in my previous post, there are bad motors that come out in every brand of motor. The problem here is the manufacturer not doing the right thing and standing behind the warranty. IMHO they should give the man a new motor.

#14 · (Edited)
Fla law says there is no lemon law on boats and or motors, but there is on cats and dogs. I just get dumber as i get older.I did have a heart attack 2 weeks ago, the stress of this motor didnt help, and still isnt helping.My neighbor is in his 60,s as i am and is a boat motor mech. He warned me for years to stay away from them, but no, i got it anyway. Now he says, i warned you, i say yep you did.I have another dealer that i call about it, they say he isnt here. I said last time that i wanted to buy a new motor, boom he was there.IMnot saying any thing positive any more, just dont want to piss off dealer that is trying to fix it after i bought it somewhere else.I made an ass of myself at 2nd dealer after he tried to charge me 260.00 for warrenty work, did evey thing but let my head explode, then called factory to make him give me my boat and get the hell out of there, I still hate to even pass that place as i launch my boatI had heart attack 2 weeks ago, had been too sick to fuss much, almost bought the farm.

#16 ·
I called al , rep for brp before i even carried it back to dealer. The ist 2 dealers were supposed to call him for directions which they didnt including dealer i purchased it from. He told me he had his own rep, man he purchases motors from. After wards al told me i told u to tell them to call me ist, i said i did, they dont listen to me, you need to speed them up. Its a long way to brp , Sturtevant wi

#20 ·
why to 3 dealers, ist dealer is in century, carried back after ist disaster, thought it might have been from ist 5 hour double oiling, and it showed no codes. carried to 2ns dealer cause they are on water, thought it would be eaiser as brp was going to pay for water test, they refused water test, tried to charge me for 3 hours warrenty, about 286.00, kenny has offered to look at it, but i took it where factory sent me. Wills is nice anough to take it knowing about problems, and being 3rd hand,its brm that im not overly happy with, i cant see the 6 wks here, 2 weeks ist dealer and 2 to 3 weeks 2nd dealer, plus beingcharged for warrenty repair, whick i would have took motor off boat and left in parking lot. I still owe 6600.00 for this wonderful machine. I did go to dealer and sit in boat before i had my heart attack.

#25 · (Edited)
cant afford lawyer, just got off phone, finally got some attention, a computer was specially programed and shipped last night. If weather permits will be tested today, hell ive had it out in 2 tropical storms, but dont expect them to. Jack has been very nice while it has been there, he was in boat when it was missing. If this doesnt fix it they are going to send everything but a foot and bolt on.. they say they have all engineers in on this one now, looking up.

#26 ·
Good luck

And as far as Tucker and the rest of the story good luck I will bet money that Ficht will be broke down before next spring they all ways do no research needed owned one there is a reason they are so cheap and a reason you can find an 03 still in a crate

#27 ·
-Hopefully ill get this one fixed and get a few years out it. I cant afford to trade it no, still owe 6600.00. Ill never have another one. Ive had about 10 to 15 other rudes and will never buy another e tec.now i wish i had got the 70 yammie. It was the free rigging and 5 year warrenty that got me. Also they claimed 7.7mpg at 4700rpms, 20 gall 160 some miles. so far i get 4.3, my 36 gallon tank will go about 160 miles. that should pick up if motor is fixed. Want to try for some wahoo when it is fixed, will have to get some pointers from lite-catch. dang big fish

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.