Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Super Full Moon for a Super Monster Tarpon Islamorada 5-5

2K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  need2fish 
#1 · (Edited)
As some of you may know I moved down to the keys to do kayak fishing charters well after getting over a health issue and some nasty weather down here it was time to do some serious fishing and it ended up being one of the craziest night of fishing I ever had. I met my kayak wars team mate Jorge around 10 pm and I had some big live baits. We fished a bridge and not much was going on then on one of my drifts I get slammed hard and then this MONSTER POON comes leaping up in the air and with it being dark I couldn’t tell how big she really was. The fish took me down the channel like I was nothing and made another jump I then realized this is one of the biggest fish I have ever had on the end on my line! Jorge came up to me and tried to keep up as I was on plain in my kayak throwing wake and trying to miss lobster traps, buoys markers and channel markers the fish took me all around the channel, flats and then back thru the bridge out past islands into the Atlantic which was pretty calm. Jorge was still trying to keep up with me and he counted on how long the whole fight lasted and he said it was 3 hours and fifteen minutes and with no telling how many miles this fish drugged me around. I finally got this fish some what worn down and got it up and we estimated the fish to be around 190 to 200 pounds! Jorge was trying to take pictures but none of them where turning out that great. So it was around 3 am in the morning and I had around a 200 pound fish on the end of my line at night in the Atlantic. The fish was to big to try to put boga grips on and it was way to dangerous to try to do that so the plan was to take the fish to the flats and get a money shot and let her go. The fish was not cooperating on going to the flats so Jorge tied a rope from the back of his Pro Angler to the front of my outback and we both had to peddle to get this fished towed in. Once we get to the flats something cut my braid and there goes the money shot. It was a crazy night to say the least, here are the pictures that was taking.

One of Erine Cavitt's custom rods bent over it held up great I really like these rods.

A spooky pic of just the fishes eye while it was under Jorges boat.

Width of the fish.

This is about as good as a shot as Jorge got which don't really do the fish justice on it's size wish I got the money shot.

See less See more
#5 ·
Didn't take Capt Brandon long to become acclimatized to his new area!

I was fortunate to speak to Brandon mid day. To say he was excited is a huge understatement. If you got his cell # give him call to hear the story from the horse's mouth. Amazing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.