Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Sound Question

885 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Salt Lines 
#1 ·
Coming down at the end of the month. Staying with in-laws out by Walmart in Navarre Going to fish the sound only...staying out of the gulf.

Was down on the 4th of July (never doing that again). Specks and Reds on bobber with live and fresh dead off the edges, docks and grass beds worked pretty good.

Is this still a good plan for the first week of April?

If I want to troll with a lure while heading from spot to spot...what works well?

I've got my two daughters with me and just want to catch fish...don't care about trophies. Catch and release for me.

#4 ·
I usually drag a 3DS Yozuri or Rapala shadow rap shad but neither are weedless. Don't know about a weedless lure for dragging. Or at least I don't use one that is weedless.

#5 ·
I just troll a soft plastic on a jig head and bury the hook tip a bit to avoid snags, it catches some grass but I just use when I'm in between places.

To catch fish with kids, use live (or dead but live is better) shrimp or live mullet (easier to keep alive) on a popping cork (its more than just a bobber, its there to make noise and attract fish).

Dont overlook fishing on the beach either, the pompano may be running by then since its warming up early

#6 ·
Sorry, popping cork is what i used...we don't use them around here so i just called them a bobber.

As for the surf...we usually go to Ft. Morgan, AL and rent on or near the beach...that spoils you.

I'll probably surf fish for pomps as well. The girls like to go out to the Nat'l Seashore...fishing any good out that way?

Is the road to Ft. Pickens open again?

#8 ·
Fun Story from a Northern boy that loves the gulf.

Last Spring in Ft. Morgan my buddy and I took the yaks out out to the tips and paddled back East toward little lagoon. First time in the gulf...it was an eye-opener.

I was in my Wilderness Systems Pungo 14 and my friend was on a WS tarpon 12'

We launched in 2-3 seas. Figured once past the breakers it would calm down....Nope... just looks like that from the shore (to a person from Missouri anyway). I had 2 fool swells (if you guys call them that) crashing over and into the Pungo. My buddy was trying to stay on his and laughing the whole time out.

Got out into clear water just past the 2nd sandbar...figured I had taken on 10+ gallons of water. Time for the life jacket...nope, it's snagged on tackle behind me. Ok...if it sinks it sinks no worries I'll just grab my hand siphon and...nope that stayed on the box on the trailer. :(

started paddling East in the rollers and actually got a beer out of the cooler and a line in the water and for the next 40 min had a great time bobbing around in the gulf. Not a cloud in the sky and wind from the SW was pushing us for our destination...doesn't get much better than that.

Had a couple more beers, caught no fish and that's when we realized we weren't out of the woods yet. See, we got a great deal on a rental near Kiva Dunes so that's where we decided to come ashore. Problem was the waves had increased dramatically and the beach along that area had eroded from high tide which left a 3' lip to contend with.

Remember (I'm from the Midwest) I was in my Pungo, which i had just renamed the widow maker, because of its submarine like qualities. Well I go about 250lbs and had added about another 80lbs of water and transferred another 6lbs of beer from the back of the yak to my gut. I'm going to be coming in hot, just like a Harpoon Missile.

We sit out by the breakers with our wives looking on trying to time the waves having another beer. My buddy says he'll go first and help me once he's beached. He proceeds to completely fail at timing and comes in straight as an arrow until he catches a wave coming in from the East. Flips him parallel to the shore and dumps him in the first trough. He's rewarded with shell rash on his should and knees. Not too bad.

My turn...I stow the beer cans, fire up the paddle and nail it. The Pungo 14 is a sleek yak made for semi-flat water. It tracks awesome and is easy to paddle and is really fast when it has close to 400lbs pushing it.

I spearhead through the breakers all the way to the beach right in front of the ladies. The nose buries in the sand about 10 inches and that wave that I road in so perfectly decides to make me it's biotch. Swamps the yak and then flips it up in the air with me 1/2 in and 1/2 out. I bite it hard, face plant on the shells and sand, life jacket comes out and lands on top of me. Remember it was snagged. Well it was a treble hook from one of my fresh water Rapalas that was now lodged firmly in my left love handle....it was awesome.

Put it this way, if there had been any locals there it would have easily made it on YouTube and would live on forever in gulf folklore. Lucky for me the crowd was made up of pale/sun burnt, 45yr olds from IL, IA, WI, MO, OH...they were all concerned that I had really hurt myself and suggested that i should complain to the kayak rental company that let me take that yak out in such rough conditions.:whistling:

See how lucky you are that we have made Navarre our new Spring break home away from home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.