Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Windy day at Jim's 11/6

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  oxbeast1210 
#1 ·
I decided to fish some new water north of the bridge because of the high winds and talking to another kayaker in the parking lot that didn't do much south of the bridge. Fishing was pretty slow at first, besides a couple decent largemouth and a small red that actually stole the lure out of one of the bass's mouth.

I finally found some trout and reds in a deep cut west of Jim's that I had fished before, but never caught anything in. I saw a trout hit the surface as soon as I pulled up so I knew I was in business. I caught a speck on the first cast, and then got several bites right under my kayak, so I decided to drop my jig straight below me. I was rewarded with three 18" redfish on as many drops, it was like ice fishing from a kayak!. They looked so similiar they could have been brothers. I managed another dozen 14" specks, one 16" speck, and the hybrid striper pictured below with a bulging eyeball; all from the same spot. It took awhile to find them, but once I did it was too easy.

The best bait was a 1/4 oz jighead with a new-penny colored z-tech jerkbait. I also caught a few fish on a 1/3 oz spoon and the good 'ole gulp shrimp on an 1/8 oz jighead.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
10/6 afternoon

I went in the afternoon and the wind wasn't too bad. I have never fished there before so I launced at the pier and peddled up the east side of the river. Lot's of mullet and gars hitting the surface.

Ended up with 5 specks, 2 right in the slot and the other three probly 16-18". Caught 2 on DOA under popping cork and 3 on mirro dine.
No pics but it was nice to get out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.