Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Can't buy a trout???

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Seminoles#1 
#1 ·
Went out today coupe hours after work to unwind. Got this one on a Berkeley gulp grub off white 5". For me the trout bite has become non existent. What are y'all doing to get them hooked up? Looking for some insight on what's been working. Thanks everybody!

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
It's more likely not the lure that your using, and more that the locations you're fishing just aren't holding fish at times you're fishing them. Sometimes (most of the time), I have to use search baits and cover a lot of water to find fish willing to eat. Also, pay attention to the tidal movements and understand how your target species tends to pattern during those movements. If you've cast >3 times in the same general spot with nothing, its time to move, don't waste time fishing unproductive water.

#9 ·
I fish as the current takes the yak. Last year I was getting reds and trouts in the same area. If it's not producing I try other areas. I been thinking trying the kitchen sink to throw at them maybe I need to scout new areas living in Navarre it's mostly the sound on the north side in different areas

#10 · (Edited)
My advise keep on casting. Nobody here catches them all the time. Make a move explore new spots. Buy a few new lures if it makes you happy. Keep a positive attitude
and open mind. You'll catch some fish soon enough. Im 100% confident that you'll find them again.

Or you can buy a trout off me for $1,000.00 per pound lol

#12 ·
If you are fishing as the current takes the yak you are probably casting in front of you and pulling the bait upstream. Natural bait get sucked along with the current, not against it, and the fish wait to ambush it. So your bait is the only fishy thing moving that direction and present unnaturally.
When I'm not catching I often suspect I need to slow down my retrieve, its a hard discipline to get right.
Also, I think its best to worry less about the exact lure and more about finding the right depth (yes that can affect lure selection) in the water column. After that, look for moving water (be aware of the tides) like through cuts, across points, at creek mouths. Also, if you are fishing in mid day sometimes the trout aren't feeding much. Early and late in the day is the time.
A guide is the quickest way to get on the fish (I am not a guide)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.