Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Panama City Beach - First Sail and First King

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Foulhook 
#1 ·
I have been following this forum for a while, and it has been a great source of info. I rented a house in Panama City Beach with friends for the week of 10/17 with high hopes for fishing.

10/17 - First morning out - about 9:00 am - Quickly found a bunch of cigar minnows with the sabiki and threw out the first baited line about 9:30. About 10 minutes later the reel started to scream, and a silver blur ran across the surface. I was worried I lost it as it ran towards me, then the fight was on. About 30 minutes and 10-15 jumps later, I landed my first sailfish.

10/18 - A little more excited and on the water by about 6:30 am. Again, no problem finding bait. Lots of runs - and finally managed the first king in the kayak.

A couple of more days to go, but the first two will be tough to beat. Thanks again for all the great tips.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm sorry, it's ridiculous that your first offshore fish is a sail. Many of us have put a lot of time in with hopes of a yak sail. Next time please wait your turn. Great catches. Once you hear that drag buzz in a yak it's hard not to do only offshore stuff

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

#6 ·
No - not first trip offshore, been trying for a few years. Plenty of fails - some epic!

In past years I have managed a decent redfish, a big jack, a few small sharks, and a close call (fail) with a tarpon. For some reason kings have always eluded me. The sail is definitely the fish of a lifetime!

(and yes, that's a yeti cup)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.