Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Not bad for my first time

4K views 21 replies 21 participants last post by  Kevinwwings2 
#1 ·
Since I didn't have a trip today and the weather was so nice my buddy and I decided to give bluewater a shot, a first for me in my own boat. I have been several times on other boats though. We got on an epic open water tuna bite! We landed three, pulled the hooks on a couple and had what would have been the best fish of the day get sharked. We also had shots at a couple of hooters but they ended up clipping us off. Not too upset though for a shakedown trip on my boat!

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Not bad at all, sounds like it has been a fun trip...thanks for posting.

#11 ·
I've caught more tuna and billfish than I have wahoo (only one). Funny how that works!

Thanks for the kind words guys. I was lucky. We came off plane after making the run to get rigged up and saw some fish. I had TONS of live bait thanks to Captain Kenny Lewis of Panhandle Charters for throwing his net at the Mass for me.

I started live chumming and the fish never left us. Everything was caught on spinning gear including the big fish which was caught on a rod and reel that I use for sheepshead and spanish! That was a fun hour! Let's just say that rod was meant for dolphin not a tuna!

I'm also lucky to be able to fish with some great guys like ChrisV and Captain Adam of a One Shot, what I've learned from them allowed me to capitalize on the opportunity I was presented!

#18 ·
Nice job. Open water tuna seems to be a common theme recently. Hoping the nice water hangs around for a while longer.

#22 ·
Awesome trip. Any chances you will share roughly how far out you were? I am coming up the end of June, towing my boat up. We are planning to do 2 overnight trips and just curious how much fuel I actually need for the trip. Obviously the tanks will be topped off but not crazy about having a pucker factor...
Thanks for any info and great trip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.