Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Trolling Motor

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  fishingcanada 
#1 ·
Got a little extra money sitting around thought I would finally start working on the G3 I bought with the purpose of using it for floundering and maybe a little river fishing/hunting. With that said what is the better kind of motor hand control or foot control? Main use will be floundering the second river running/fishing/hunting.

#3 ·
I had a fresh water motorguide that I used in fresh and salt, now my buddy has it and he is mostly a salt water/bay guy and it's still kicking strong. Go Motorguide.

As far as tiller or foot steer, if your a sit down fisherman a foot pedal model is the way to go. If your a stand up fisherman then I'd go tiller. I personally have a Motorguide tiller 55 on mine and like it a lot. If I had the money I'd get one of the new remote control ones. Those suckers are sweet. Whip out the check book though.

#4 ·
I had a foot control 101 Minn Kota (came with boat) - hated it. Maybe I am not coordinated enough....could not wait to replace it with a tiller (Minn Kota riptide). It is roughly four months old and has been back for warranty work once already. The dealer (fox in mobile) stated the new ones are not built as good as the older ones. Hopefully, it is good now. I like the tiller model.

#5 · (Edited)
The Minkota SF series is the top of their line and what I have. There is a difference internally. It has to do with the material that the motor brushes are mounted in.

I have this one. Love It.

http://mk.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/20860/Minn-Kota-Riptide-SF-Trolling-Motors.html

If I had the money I'd get one of the new remote control ones.
I've tried a remote control unit. It would be fine for Bass fishing and casting a shore line. It's not worth a Damn for Floundering. It's to jerky and delayed. That one was a Motorguide.

I sold that unit.

#6 · (Edited)
I've tried a remote control unit. It would be fine for Bass fishing and casting a shore line. It's not worth a Damn for Floundering. It's to jerky and delayed. That one was a Motorguide.
I can see where the remote would not be good for floundering.

I have a little 42lb that I mount to the back and use to troll for specks so I can turn it off from the back and steer without running to the front every time we hook up. It serves its purpose but it is no where near the quality of my MG.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.