Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

How to fish the popping cork and XR8

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  BlueWaterWarrior 
#1 ·
I know you guys must be thinking, does this guy know anything, well I do, but not about fishing. However, you guys have been very good about helping me learn. Went out tonight and got the Cajan Thunder Popping Cork and XR8, now I need some advice on technique. Again, if I have luck, I post pics.
Thanks again for all your help.

#3 ·
Robert, i am a new to fishing, too. i've become dependent on the Tight Line bait shop owner ~ corner of Pace and Cervantes. believe me...he has heard a lot of questions from me.

next: two surf fishing guys Thursday & Sunday mornings are best times to find them on the beach just this side of Fort Pickens. both are generous with their time.

and, Kim is right on. i learned knot tying on youtube.

#6 ·
I've personally always really enjoyed fishing with a popping cork. I would recommend that you add a piece of split shot weight to the bottom under the cork to help it straighten out after the cast. Usually I fish a cork when I am wade fishing close to grass flats. Just cast it as close as possible to the area that you want and then give it a second to "stand up". Once you're at that point, then just "pop" the tip of your rod until you hear the cork making a rattle sound. You may want to try different popping speeds (usually 5-10 seconds depend pops) to see how active they are.

Personally I've learned that using a circle hook with a cork will help me a lot when actually trying to land a fish.. especially if it comes to trout!

#7 ·
I can't wait to be able to get out and use it, today I order a pair of waders so I can get into the water and use this new tool. I have a few places in mind to go, just have to get there, may be a few weeks before I can, I can only go on Saturday and I am booked the next few.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.