Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Big Trout Day

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Yaksquatch 
#1 ·
Got off work a little early and decided to take advantage of this nice day practicing up for kayak wars. I hit the water around 2 and the smell of dead mullet was really bad, thousands of rotting fish everywhere. Caught a few trout that were well over 20 inches, and threw them all back to fatten up for K.W. I was all excited to take a few pictures, but it appears someone swapped my camera batteries for xbox controller batteries. Now if they will just stay put for a couple months, I'll be good.

#5 ·
After seeing all those dead mullet, figured the trout would have been to full to eat, but guess a moving bait was hard to resist. Sure the trout got their fill on those sluggish dying mullet. I couldn't believe all the dead fish, but the good thing is, all those dead mullet should have thinned the food supply, making those big trout hungry and easier to catch in about a month.

There is still a ton of mullet and baitfish there, and was glad to see a couple schools of baitfish working.

#6 ·
Thanks for the nice report and like your new avatar.

#7 ·
chaps (1/19/2010)where did you go?

This close to the start of Yak Wars, that is the million $ question you probably won't get an answer to. We're usually pretty free with fishing spots but with KW coming up, I'm afraid we'll start seeing a lot of cases of lock-jaw. Just got to get out there and find em.

Joe, thanks for the report. By the way, I may be heading out Friday afternoon. You busy?

Alex

#9 ·
Speaking of dead fish and big trout. Went out fishing at dark this morning. Same place I went yesterday afternoon. As I worked my way up the bayou. I spotted a fish tail sticking out of the water. Thought it was a red tailing, but it was not moving, just looked like it. I paddled over to investigate it. Looked like it was a big fish, but dead from the freeze. Went on up the bayou and came back down later. I decided to go look at this fish more closely. I had gloves on this morning because it was cold enough for me to wear them. I found the fish again. I paddled over to it and grabbed it by the tail. I was grey and thought it was a Blue at first then thought it was a huge white trout, but then spotted spots on the tail, I lifted it up to get a size on it. Last year I momentarily held the record on the largest speck caught in all kayak wars at 26 1/2 inches long. I had laid the fish across the kayak in front of me to get the length. This fish was was at least 2 inches longer. Had to be about 28 1/2 to 29 inches long. Shame for such a large fish to die. The record on kayak wars by the way was a 30" trout caught over to the east of Panama City in the Big Bend Area.

#10 ·
Alex, you hit that on the head. lol I even had the pics planned as not show location, but ended up not to matter anyway.

And for the length, I didn't measure precise, but they were pushing 22 to 25. No real monsters, but nice trout, and over the twenty needed for Kayak Wars. Got my batteries lined out, so I should have pics next time.

#11 ·
Jig n Hawgs (1/20/2010)Alex, you hit that on the head. lol I even had the pics planned as not show location, but ended up not to matter anyway.

And for the length, I didn't measure precise, but they were pushing 22 to 25. No real monsters, but nice trout, and over the twenty needed for Kayak Wars. Got my batteries lined out, so I should have pics next time.

Yeah man. Just keep CPRing (Catch, Photo, Release) them so you (or I :shedevil) can catch em again later. I promise to put em back safe and sound, after pics, if I can catch any on Friday.

Alex

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.