Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Islamorado fishing help

853 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Gstring706 
#1 ·
We are headed down next week for a 6 day fishing vacation.
Would like to hook up with someone local to show us the ropes fishing wise.
Will have a skiff with a houseboat for the mother ship.

If you know some good inshore fishers who would do a ride-a-long for cash, beer, and/or fishing time send me a PM. We can pick them up at most any dock.

Looking to lay out the chart, get the "Fish here, with this bait, this time of day" type stuff.

#2 ·
Good luck. I can't help much other than to say you can't use hardware and you pretty much need to fish with live bait. I did have some success with trout on the MR17, but it was the only lure that produced for me down there. When I caught ballyhoo, the fun started... too bad it was after like the 10th trip down. Also, check out some of the youtube videos on how to catch yellow tail snapper... "Into the Blue" also did a show on YT Snapper off Islamorada

#3 ·
Islamorada? If so fish Snake Creek, north side of the bridge, small nonresidential cuts. Look for Mangrove overhangs with deep water underneath. Live shrimp on a Carolina rig. Lots of Snapper. Fun fishing and good eats. Can probably do the same anywhere in the Keys.

#4 ·
Philip, call me at the shop this week or stop by if you're around. I haven't fished islamorada as much as marathon and lower keys, but I can definitely get you in the right direction on how to go about it.

#5 ·
i'll come see ya chris

Need some more of those Vudu Mullets anyway

#9 ·
We went down last year, stayed on marathon but fished mostly around Islamorado. If you buy shrimp from the bass pro be sure to get there really early and pick out the fattest shrimp. We set up up current from bridge pilings and chummed, sent a carolina rigged shrimp back and caught snapper and a couple grouper.

A couple days we fished the cuts which run to the tidal lakes inside the islands. Caught snapper on free lined shrimp, and cuda on a small spoon tipped with shrimp. Broke off one Juvenal tarpon there too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.