Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

First fish in the new Cuda

3K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  NavyDoc 
#1 ·
Got off 24 hour duty at the hospital around 0630 and figured I could hit the water for a few hours before the wife woke up and the weather got too bad.

Worked the grassy flats around sound side of johnsons beach. Between the rain and wind it was pretty difficult to spot fish but the sun came through enough for me to spot a couple small schools.
Picked this guy up on a 4" paddle tail swimbait. Tough little 25 incher.

Attachments

See less See more
#11 ·
I ordered it through pensacola kayak and sail. They only had the sunrise color and I wanted to get one I could double as a duck hunting yak.

I absolutely love it btw. I don't know if you've ever test drove one but it's legit. Fast, tracks great, and relatively stable. I have pretty good balance and I have to catch myself now and again if there are some waves.

#13 ·
Thanks for reply. I'm in Fort Walton so probably be hard to get up with you, but thanks for the offer. I have never paddled one, but have sat in the seat on the ground here at a local shop and it felt great. I'm looking at a 2014 because they are going about 15% off right now. A local shop here has desert camo color, but my first choice is yellow jacket.

This will be my first yak so I want to get one that has a good reputation and will last me a while. I think the Cuda 14 is the one, although I really don't have any experience to base that on. I've been itching to fish and researching yaks for about two years now...I'm ready, just got to pull the trigger.

#16 ·
I wasn't about to spend all that much either. The bending branches paddles are great my buddy has one and I used that before I got mine. I got the Aqua bound sting ray $159. Carbon fiber shaft with hybrid blades. It's light no flex and I have been putting close to eight miles in each time I've gone out and I don't get tired until close to the end of my trips if there is a decent wind. Biggest thing is get a 240cm paddle at minimum because of the way the seat sits you need the extra length to grab the water. It's nice too I use mine in the flats as a push pole or just use it to paddle while I'm standing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.