Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

TARPON ON TOPWATER WHAAAATT

4K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  SolarFlare 
#1 ·
So I took my kayak on the sound side of chicken bone yesterday around 7am. Paddled a good mile and half till I got to my spot. I fished hard with the ole chug bug got 1 keeper red, and had 2 weak blow ups both missed. Paddled a little bit further down and saw what looked to be a school of Threadfins jumping like crazy with something chasing em so I paddled closer and by the time I get there they're gone so I just start working the chug bug, I made about 5 casts with nothing when I see a Tarpon swirl like a foot behind the chug so I stop twitch twitch twitch and he inhaled it. I waited about 5 seconds the set the hook. Then he got pissed and took off kept him hooked for about 30 seconds until he jumped and broke me off. He looked to be about 32 inches. AND IM 100% SURE IT WAS A TARPON. Isnt it a little early for Tarpon to come into the bay?

#2 ·
I don't think it's "too early" for a tarpon tp be in the bay. No, it's not likely and probably not something you'd set out to do in the morning. But it is perfetly possible to see a tarpon in almost any bay system along the Gulf Coast just about any time. Super cool that you got to see it. And, great job on slowing your rereieve down and enticing the bite. Not too many things better than a topwater strike. I bet seeing a tarpon inhale was awesome!

#6 ·
NEVER too early - I was at a CCA meeting listening to a local marine biologist talk about fish stocks / habits, etc. He mentioned that they having been catching and tagging juvenile tarpon, all year around, locally for a while. I've also heard of catches in Yellow River in the winter.

#9 ·
Jasooon (5/8/2009)So I took my kayak on the sound side of chicken bone yesterday around 7am. Paddled a good mile and half till I got to my spot. I fished hard with the ole chug bug got 1 keeper red, and had 2 weak blow ups both missed. Paddled a little bit further down and saw what looked to be a school of Threadfins jumping like crazy with something chasing em so I paddled closer and by the time I get there they're gone so I just start working the chug bug, I made about 5 casts with nothing when I see a Tarpon swirl like a foot behind the chug so I stop twitch twitch twitch and he inhaled it. I waited about 5 seconds the set the hook. Then he got pissed and took off kept him hooked for about 30 seconds until he jumped and broke me off. He looked to be about 32 inches. AND IM 100% SURE IT WAS A TARPON. Isnt it a little early for Tarpon to come into the bay?
It is not unusual to see tarpon migrating from west to east during the month of May. Some straglers probably entered the bay. There are definitely more tarpon in the bay during August when the tarpon are migrating from east to west.

#10 ·
reelthrill (5/13/2009)
Jasooon (5/8/2009)So I took my kayak on the sound side of chicken bone yesterday around 7am. Paddled a good mile and half till I got to my spot. I fished hard with the ole chug bug got 1 keeper red, and had 2 weak blow ups both missed. Paddled a little bit further down and saw what looked to be a school of Threadfins jumping like crazy with something chasing em so I paddled closer and by the time I get there they're gone so I just start working the chug bug, I made about 5 casts with nothing when I see a Tarpon swirl like a foot behind the chug so I stop twitch twitch twitch and he inhaled it. I waited about 5 seconds the set the hook. Then he got pissed and took off kept him hooked for about 30 seconds until he jumped and broke me off. He looked to be about 32 inches. AND IM 100% SURE IT WAS A TARPON. Isnt it a little early for Tarpon to come into the bay?

It is not unusual to see tarpon migrating from west to east during the month of May. Some straglers probably entered the bay. There are definitely more tarpon in the bay during August when the tarpon are migrating from east to west.

I think thats backwards. Tarpon follow the warmer waters from down south Florida this time of year, so the panhandle sees them coming from the east until July & August when they are the thickest. Come October they start heading back east (and south) with the cooler temperatures here.

At least I think it would be more likely that we'd be seeing tarpon from South Florida rather than Texas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.