Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Ramp étiquette

8K views 42 replies 31 participants last post by  jcasey 
#1 ·
Is this hows it supposed to be done? Its how I do it.
Launching: Get your stuff ready to go before you pull up to the ramp. Straps off plugs in. Back in trailer, lower engine start it back out your boat, park it on a dock not blocking the ramp (if available, if not idle in the water not to block it) Park the truck. get in drive off... 5 minutes MAX. I can do it in 5 by myself from backing in to heading off.

Recovering:
Park boat on dock not blocking the ramp. If there is no opening wait till there is one 25 feet from dock facing it.
Get truck wait in line to recover. Back up, drive boat on, winch up, drive to unloading area not blocking the ramp and put on straps. Remember to remove rods from upper rocket launchers. Drive away and notice that $15 Cobia jig in the trees when you forgot to remove said rods last week.

What I have seen many times all these situations last weekend:
Launching: Reverse truck, right before you get to the water get out to unstrap transom straps Get back in truck, Oh crap the plug. Get boat floating use 2 ropes with 2 people to pull it off. Lose control of boat almost hit boat next to you because 1 of the 2 is to weak or 9 years old.. Unload truck and put stuff in boat. Keep boat at the ramp even though there is an open space to park it. Try to start. Take off cowling.. Trouble shoot for 15 minutes while blocking ramp. get it started and 5 feet from dock WOT right for the sandbar.

Recovering: Oh look the ramp dock has an open spot I will pull in there. Get in truck be the 5th trailer in line. Boat is now blocking 1 lane. FINALLY back up trailer, take up 2 lanes, winch boat up and pull out 15 feet to pull the plug and start to unload boat blocking the ramp..

See less See more
#37 ·
I think the biggest problem people have loading their boat is backing the trailer into the water to far. If they would let the bunk boards line the boat up. They would have a easier time getting it right the first try. It drives me crazy watching someone have to back in four times to get their boat even on the trailer. If you have to fight your boat to get it on the trailer maybe you need to work on the trailer a lil bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#39 ·
I was at our place on the River near Eutaw Alabama last Memorial Day weekend and it's directly across from the boat launch at the State Park camp ground. A Pawpaw and Grandma were launching their boat with one of those half million dollar tour bus motor homes about mid morning. When they finally got the bus stopped at the bottom of the ramp they had backed in up to the back window of the bus. Needless to say it blocked the ramp for hours until a wrecker finally arrived. Ain't nothing like a boat ramp on a Holiday. WLAO!!! I went over to try and help and they would not have any off that! We could have pulled them out with the trackhoe but after their attitude we just went back and watched as about 30 boats waited for hours as they blocked the entire ramp.

#41 · (Edited)
Had a friend whose boat slid off on the ramp. It was ugly
My bay boat had one of thise V guides on the front. When backing down I would leave strap on until wheels were in water. Then I would jump out & take strap off. The v guide did not have any friction & the boat creep off the trailer. . Never the less, the V guide is long gone & I installed 2 long runners in the center. Best thing I ever did !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.