Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Wire leader and butterfly jigs

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  L/D Max 
#1 ·
Was fishing in 300-400 feet of water and lost a couple of butterfly jigsto what I suspect was a man in a brown suit:hoppingmad. I was fishing with 80 lb flouro. If I use 7 strand coated black wire will itmake the AJs and other fish "Leader-shy"?

#2 ·
when we deep drop rigs like the horseshoes i generally use 8 feet of single strand.... same roll of wire as for wahoo. ithink 150 lb test.... the fish get you all up in the rig legs etc and its the only way to land them.... ive had no problems with spooking them- dont think they can see it 350 fet down. caught everthing from cobia to warsaws on that setup with 9 oz speed jigs

#3 ·
I've had no problem losing bites using a couple feet of either #6 (58lb) single strand or 90lb. sevenstrand. I tie the singlestrand directly to my line via an albright knot and crimp my sevenstrand both to the jig and to a small solid ring to attach my line to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.